Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ladies SP JGP Riga Cup 2013

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Karen Chen turned 14 this month.
    That means that next season she still won't be eligible for World's but, can do senior grand prix. Hopes she continues to develop nicely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    That means that next season she still won't be eligible for World's but, can do senior grand prix. Hopes she continues to develop nicely.
    No, the 14-year-olds would no longer be eligible for ISU senior Bs and senior Grand Prix by next season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Well its interesting! Getting a transition that makes it looks like you have awful technique! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's a difficult entrance. What was that a rocker? She went from a back inside to a forward outside edge and right up into the axel.
    It's a counter -- changing from back outside to forward outside with rotation against the original circle, pointing into the new circle.

Looks like the technique on the counter is not great -- if you watch in slow motion she actually changes edge before the turn, so technically it's an edge change followed by a back inside three turn. But in real time it's not that noticeable. And either way it's difficult. (According to my notes, Yuka Nagai did her 2A from an intentional BI three.)

I thought it was great! Good height and nice speed and flow out of it. I've seen several skaters use that entrance before.
    As for Chen's technique on the axel, compare it to other axels starting from the point after she has turned forward onto the FO edge. Nice speed, height, and distance across the ice, well controlled, stretch on the landing, as well as the difficult entry. I agree with all the +2s she got.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    See, I totally disagree! I thought the PCS was totally on par. I agree Chen is the most well rounded of presentation and skating skills, and is deservedly first. Medvedeva is bubbly and charming, but her skating skills are weaker. Sotskova has strong skating skills, but needs work on presenting her program to the audience. I think she definitely understands the music, and has an introspective sort of artistry but isn't strong on showing that to the audience yet - which is totally fine at this point, given that she's 13. She also has very nice lines. And her 3Lo came out of nowhere! I don't see anything about Chartrand that merits her PCS being higher than Sotskova - she's sloppy and unpolished by comparison, and neither her speed nor her SS stand out. She's made improvements, for sure, though. As for Yasmin, I thought she was a little tentative today.

But that's figure skating...people always see different things
    That's why it's fun to compare opinions in discussions here.

Just watching each program once, I actually had Sotskova highest on Performance/Execution, mainly because of energy and commitment to the performance and execution of the elements -- I would have given her +1 or +2 on every element. Maybe I'd change my mind if I watched all the top girls again, maybe not.

2/3 =/= full.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's a difficult entrance. What was that a rocker? She went from a back inside to a forward outside edge and right up into the axel. I thought it was great! Good height and nice speed and flow out of it. I've seen several skaters use that entrance before.
    Actually, it was a swing counter up into the double Axel (LBO edge to LFO edge, turns out of the circle). This didn't look like bad technique at ALL (for the naysayers on this thread), it was actually awesome because the counter was a counter and turned nice and sharply and then she defined the forward outside edge and got excellent step up into the jump. If I could do a transtion like that into my SINGLE Axel, I'd be a happy woman.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Actually, it was a swing counter up into the double Axel (LBO edge to LFO edge, turns out of the circle). This didn't look like bad technique at ALL (for the naysayers on this thread), it was actually awesome because the counter was a counter and turned nice and sharply and then she defined the forward outside edge and got excellent step up into the jump. If I could do a transtion like that into my SINGLE Axel, I'd be a happy woman.
    Good to know. However, it did make me think that she was momentarily confused and... tried to do a F/Lz, then realized the last split second (hence the pop).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Chen had better SS I will give her that
    she was the fastest on the ice but that was about much her advantage
    the placemnt seems right but the disparity in pcs is not

seems we already have 5 potential JGP Finalists on line up
    Sotskova, Chen, Medvedeva, Edmunds and Sakahanovich
    I would agree but wasn't Sakahanovich falling a lot in her test skates and that's why she was not sent to this event? If she is dealing with an injury or growth spurt, her skating might stay a bit "off" for a while so depending on her events, I could see her miss the final, though I agree she probably will make it (just maybe not win the final). I also have a feeling Edmunds scores internationally will be closer to what she put up at domestic events compared to Chen whose were considerably lower (granted she also made more mistakes here compared to Glacier Falls). Edmunds is really good and does not have the wonderbaby look that Medvedeva, Chen, and to a lesser extent Sotskova have, she has a mature presentation and appearance on the ice even though in person she still is a bit gangly. I'm hoping she has success soon just because I worry about her height, nearly 5'5" at 15 and her Dad is supposedly around 6'2". If she grows to be only 5'6" or 5'7", she could still be successful (like Kostner, Korpi, Zawadzki, etc.) but you don't see many females in the 5'8"+ vicinity have much success in elite skating.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Chen had better SS I will give her that
    she was the fastest on the ice but that was about much her advantage
    the placemnt seems right but the disparity in pcs is not

seems we already have 5 potential JGP Finalists on line up
    Sotskova, Chen, Medvedeva, Edmunds and Sakahanovich
    Would you also give Alsu Kayumova a chance?
    Her top jumps R: 3F+1Lo+3S, 3Lz+3T, 3F+3T

Video of her most recent Free skate at Open Skates in Moscow in mid-August
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IhITeWwsQg

Rinkside
    Kayumova is a good jumper, but that's all. Her club teammate Proklova is more consistent and has very good spins.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4