Mao's new SP!! | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Mao's new SP!!

CarneAsada

Medalist
I'd like to believe in the best of people, and hope this is nothing more than an innocent youtuber who just decided to correct piano recording, or that original poster might just decide to link to the correct clip to present the SP in better light. Otherwise I'd hate to imagine the alternative. It wouldn't do this sport, the skater or the fandom any good. 18.5k+ viewing and counting, witnesses aplenty. My conscious is clear, are yours?

What is "the alternative?" I'm genuinely curious. If it's correcting an error, what's suspicious about the whole thing?

Edit: I just went back and rewatched the link the OP. Is that the one you say has changed? I honestly don't notice a difference from the last time, and it is certainly not the "correct piano recording," assuming that the version from The Ice's Youtube channel is correct. The OP's linked video still lacks the awkward skip occurring at, as yyyskate says, around 1:40 in the version from The Ice's channel.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
whole post

just to be clear, all my judgment came from the comparison of the weird music cut I documented (I might be wrong, but unlikely, since usually I am pretty accurate about music timing). Personally, I dont remember the original music, how it sounds like etc. since OS raise the question, so I check it ,that's all.

CarneAsada

Medalist
just to be clear, all my judgment came from the comparison of the weird music cut I documented (I might be wrong, but unlikely, since usually I am pretty accurate about music timing). Personally, I dont remember the original music, how it sounds like etc. since OS raise the question, so I check it ,that's all.

I don't think it's changed - you said the 2nd skip was "around" 1:40 so who's to say 1:20 wasn't an approximate time as well? And I find the whole music cut decision quite strange - why repeat a phrase if you need to cut short the first theme's restatement 20 seconds later anyway?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I don't think it's changed - you said the 2nd skip was "around" 1:40 so who's to say 1:20 wasn't an approximate time as well? And I find the whole music cut decision quite strange - why repeat a phrase if you need to cut short the first theme's restatement 20 seconds later anyway?
IIRC, I put "around” in 1:40s is because, I was kinda lazy to check again for the second link (my point there is to point out the music cut is different), so I INTENTIONALLY add "around". But for 1:20s, I am pretty sure, I checked more than once.
Well, maybe, I am wrong, but all these discussion is pointless anyway. As long as we all know, Mao's new SP is still a work in progress, a lot things may change, perhaps even music cut.

Icey

Record Breaker
It doesn't mean much. I'm just saying she should skate better. Maybe attempting an easier layout would help because this is an exhibition, anyway.

Many fans are , indeed, disappointed when their skater has the significant problems she had with her jumps in this performance. When a performer goes on stage for the public he or she needs to be ready. No singer, especially an opera one, or actor, or an athlete in some other sport would get away with this without criticism. They might even be the recipient of boo's.
Even the great Henie was known to have been boo'd when she gave less than a stellar performance.

Binthere

On the Ice
Every skater at Mao's level I suspect, given today's music engineering technology, is doing everything they can to optimize the music they use for competitive performance. Long gone are the days when someone merely had to choose the performer whose tempo sort of best fit the dynamics of one's skating. Everything can and frankly should be manipulated to best meet the artistic and athletic balance of a competitive program. Those who are not doing this, are probably not using all the competitive tools available to them.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
This new SP for Mao will not do her any favors in competition, I'm afraid. The best Mao can hope for is a Bronze medal.