Mao's new SP!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao's new SP!!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I wouldn't worry about her jumps. In fact, I was even surprised she tried the 3A in shows. Last season she started to do it in competition on 4CC, so it's way earlier now. She'll probably try it on the GP, which is good for her. I also hope she'll try a 3F-3T in the SP instead of 3F-2L, but there have been no indications she's going for it :cry:

I don't think she will do thou. Having 3A, 3F+3T, 3Lo in the SP, her score will go through the roof, if she can fully rotate than and will give her 5+ point cushion over Kim. But chances of fully rotating them is no so good. The last time she tried 3F+3T and got credit with +GOE was back in 2008 world. And I think no incentive for her. Having 3F+3T< vs 3F+2Lo with +goe will get her almost the same score, plus I think Mao feels more comfortable with doing the latter.

Will be cool thou, if she try.

noskates

Record Breaker
Mao has 6+ months to put the finishing touches on this program. I think it's delightful and well-suited to her style skating. I don't think a musical piece has to be heavy and dramatic and angst-ridden to be Olympic calibre. It's how it's skated...... People keep talking about Kostner and Kim as the front-runners, don't count out Mao.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
When you compared this SP to the one she did back in 2007 you see the growth and maturity as a skater.

Maturity, yes, but she has lost a lot of her effortless flow over the ice and a lot of her beautiful lines.

Sorry, but this program is totally mediocore to me. Very little of it is truly one with the music, most of it looks like its just there to tick off a required box (her flying camel is NOT good), and there are no special highlights. Look at the gorgeous way she came out of her Triple Lutz in the 2007 program (and also how she goes into it), her wonderful spiral extensions, her light-as-a-feather double axel, and the magical position and timing of her twizzles at the end of her footwork sequence. That's 4 special, memorable things. This program has 0.

I just hope that Mao is at least able to skate with freedom at the Olympics. It used to feel like she was at home on the ice, but now the majority of the time it looks like she doesn't really want to be out there.

B

bingbing

This is a master piece indeed even if her jump is not in a good state.
The steps is so fluent and elegent and mao fits the music perfectly

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This had some beautiful moments.

I loved the first part of the ending layback. So classic and elegant, and I think she held the position longer than most. Of course, like all the other ladies, she junks it up at the end to gain the levels... such is CoP.

I am not a huge fan of her catch-foot camel, but maybe that's just me.

I think it's as "Olympic caliber" as anything else we'll see.

I look at her grace and maturity, and I recall how she was the "jumping bean" back in the early days. What a beautiful transformation; it's like we've all watched her grow up.

Krislite

Medalist
Mao has 6+ months to put the finishing touches on this program. I think it's delightful and well-suited to her style skating. I don't think a musical piece has to be heavy and dramatic and angst-ridden to be Olympic calibre. It's how it's skated...... People keep talking about Kostner and Kim as the front-runners, don't count out Mao.

Sure the program has more time to gain mileage, but her jumps need to be ready in 2 months for the Grand Prix. She cannot afford to lose any more momentum to Kostner or Kim if she wants a decent shot at the OGM.

enzet

On the Ice
Maturity, yes, but she has lost a lot of her effortless flow over the ice and a lot of her beautiful lines.

She has lost her LINES of all things???:confused:
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

You may not like the program but, if anything, her lines are better than ever now!

minze

Medalist
This video is from an ice show in late july so nitpicking the jumps is premature. Also, it is hard to jump with the lights and Mao was also getting use to new boots

Sorry, but this program is totally mediocore to me. Very little of it is truly one with the music, most of it looks like its just there to tick off a required box (her flying camel is NOT good), and there are no special highlights.

I thought her flow over the ice was wonderful. As for highlights, the music does not have any, so a seamless delicate flow is just right for the music. The problem with the jumps is that they are kind of an interruption to the program, even if done well. That will be the hard part. IMHO -- to get the jumps so solid that they seem like part of the program. Other than that, :love: :love: :love:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I thought her flow over the ice was wonderful. As for highlights, the music does not have any, so a seamless delicate flow is just right for the music. The problem with the jumps is that they are kind of an interruption to the program, even if done well. That will be the hard part. IMHO -- to get the jumps so solid that they seem like part of the program. Other than that, :love: :love: :love:

Mathman, very well put! I agree 100 %.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This video is from an ice show in late july so nitpicking the jumps is premature. Also, it is hard to jump with the lights and Mao was also getting use to new boots

Not to mention that it looked like very small ice. I'm sure it was difficult to skate with speed and stay in the rink.

yyyskate

Record Breaker

Sorry, but this program is totally mediocore to me. Very little of it is truly one with the music, most of it looks like its just there to tick off a required box (her flying camel is NOT good), and there are no special highlights. Look at the gorgeous way she came out of her Triple Lutz in the 2007 program (and also how she goes into it), her wonderful spiral extensions, her light-as-a-feather double axel, and the magical position and timing of her twizzles at the end of her footwork sequence. That's 4 special, memorable things. This program has 0.

I just hope that Mao is at least able to skate with freedom at the Olympics. It used to feel like she was at home on the ice, but now the majority of the time it looks like she doesn't really want to be out there.

I totally agree with you. MAO seems more lyrical/emotional in this new version(while it does not seems natural to me though,seems like tried and rehearsed). I much much prefer the old version for every point you just mentioned above.
Since Yuna's SP will also be very soft and light music, if she chose a piano version, it will be a very interesting comparison to MAO's nocturne piece. I can not wait the showdown of both Yuna and Mao's soft lyrical SP in OLY.:popcorn:

miki88

Medalist

That's a good description of the piece. The lack of noticeable highlights in the music makes it a bit hard to leave an impression with this music. Mao did a wonderful job in the original nocturne. I had my reservations about her skating to this one again but there are many things I love about the new version and she gives off a different kind of feeling this time around.

babyalligator

On the Ice
hmmmmm....I'm not quite sold on the program, but it's hard to say because this is a show and she might therefore not be able to have the freedom of movement she would otherwise have on competition ice. It's very pretty, but everything seems very cautious and slow... :eek:hwell:

Moment

Final Flight
The program looks okay.

BTW I bet the audience isn't paying to see her make errors on every jump she attempts.

minze

Medalist
The program looks okay.

BTW I bet the audience isn't paying to see her make errors on every jump she attempts.

This is her show, so the audience is paying to see Mao Asada. Did you hear their reaction to her new program? They sounded happy to see the last short program of their favorite skater.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
That's a good description of the piece. The lack of noticeable highlights in the music makes it a bit hard to leave an impression with this music. Mao did a wonderful job in the original nocturne. I had my reservations about her skating to this one again but there are many things I love about the new version and she gives off a different kind of feeling this time around.

You can not be serious. This Chopin contains breathtaking emotional highs and is adorned with beautiful playful use of tones and trills to highlight the heart fluttering moments of brimming passion spilt over before realizing one's self awareness. It is certainly easily impressionable as if you hear the music the first time. The final passage of the music especially recalls greater depth of emotion lyricism that summarize the conclusion of the love and admiration with fortissimo repeat of the main them to reaffirm affection with greater intensity then gently calm down to its softness self assurance and recollecting moments of romanticism.

The first 2 notes (B flat and G) are the main key motifs for the whole piece and should be highlighted where ever possible, like a beginning of a paragraph of poetry, of love letter, a deep held breathe, a moment held on to dear life as linger to breathtaking love at first sights sort of emotions. The softness, gentle ascension of melody, the build ups, of descriptive movements is pure romanticism of the 19th century. It is the epitome of 19th century young gentleman (innocent, unseasoned) sort of unspoken love/sentimentality, polite exteriors, repressed but brimming passion and admiration wrapped up in a secret whisper to oneself, suffered in loneliness without any expectation. Choreographically and performance wise, there are heaps of opportunity for emotional lingering, presenting the change in mood at key melodic changes which should be highlighted for the full effect. The noticeable lack of highlight along the same monotonic lyricism in Mao's performance clearly indicate her failure to comprehend the music with the the necessary rhythmic interpretation at key moments with clarity to bring out the necessary emotional highlights of the music. Is her romanticism entirely onto herself, her past and the idea of skating? Or love for someone else, sensuality, repressed passion and admiration framed by etiquette of civility as the composer intended for his lady friend who's married to one of his friend.

Actually I am wondering if this is really the correct music cut to her choreography. To put bluntly, they don't seem to go together, and doesn't even sound like live recording. it looks like a fan vid with a dubbed independent track to another performance. they are not in sync. There's no doubt Mao is a beautiful show skater but this choreography doesn't fit the track other than they share similar gentle lovely qualities. (When you leave Jump issues aside, I don't see how this is a competitive program, but it does make a lovely show program if your sole interest is to see Mao skating beautifully with pleasant background music regardless what it is.)

minze

Medalist
That means she should deliver a better performance than this.

That means they did not borrow your money, so what do you care. BTW have you seen any outcry from audience demanding their money back? Why do you come to Mao threads to make such...... comments.