Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mao's new SP!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    Definitely. I think had she chosen something heavy, it might just lower her already rising PCS scores from the judges. They seem to have rediscovered a love for her this past couple of seasons, since switching back to lighter programs. I mean, in her darkest days of dealing with jump issues, her PCS just went through the roof (relatively) and saved her. I think this sweetness will play to her advantage, not to mention, she seems to have been born to skate to Chopin. Not one of the current top ten ladies can serve up a Chopin programme and hold a candle to Mao in that respect.

I am getting more anxious to see her Rachmaninov though. It has both light and shade, and certainly a war horse. I want October to roll on already!
    Indeed Mao seems to have Chopin in her bones. She is so light-footed and fluid. Her arms are astonishing. Think how rare it is that a lady who can do triple axels would also have such airy musicality.

And when you compared this SP to the one she did back in 2007 you see the growth and maturity as a skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Some people might not consider this an "Olympic-caliber" program, but I don't care. It's so pretty and she is a vision performing it.
    It is as Olympic-caliber as any of the Olympic SP programs in recent memory.
    I prefer this to Yuna's Bond SP, Shiz's Fantasy Impromptu SP, Sarah Hughes' SP, Tara's SP, Oksana's SP, and even Kristi's SP.

She's grown as an artist, and she started out very strong.

Russian girls, this is how you move your arms!

I wouldn't worry about her jumps. In fact, I was even surprised she tried the 3A in shows. Last season she started to do it in competition on 4CC, so it's way earlier now. She'll probably try it on the GP, which is good for her. I also hope she'll try a 3F-3T in the SP instead of 3F-2L, but there have been no indications she's going for it

Custom Title
    Oh, Mao is just magical. She positively floats on the ice and this program really highlights her strengths!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    I wouldn't worry about her jumps. In fact, I was even surprised she tried the 3A in shows. Last season she started to do it in competition on 4CC, so it's way earlier now. She'll probably try it on the GP, which is good for her. I also hope she'll try a 3F-3T in the SP instead of 3F-2L, but there have been no indications she's going for it
    I don't think she will do thou. Having 3A, 3F+3T, 3Lo in the SP, her score will go through the roof, if she can fully rotate than and will give her 5+ point cushion over Kim. But chances of fully rotating them is no so good. The last time she tried 3F+3T and got credit with +GOE was back in 2008 world. And I think no incentive for her. Having 3F+3T< vs 3F+2Lo with +goe will get her almost the same score, plus I think Mao feels more comfortable with doing the latter.

Will be cool thou, if she try.

Custom Title
    Mao has 6+ months to put the finishing touches on this program. I think it's delightful and well-suited to her style skating. I don't think a musical piece has to be heavy and dramatic and angst-ridden to be Olympic calibre. It's how it's skated...... People keep talking about Kostner and Kim as the front-runners, don't count out Mao.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    When you compared this SP to the one she did back in 2007 you see the growth and maturity as a skater.
    Maturity, yes, but she has lost a lot of her effortless flow over the ice and a lot of her beautiful lines.

Sorry, but this program is totally mediocore to me. Very little of it is truly one with the music, most of it looks like its just there to tick off a required box (her flying camel is NOT good), and there are no special highlights. Look at the gorgeous way she came out of her Triple Lutz in the 2007 program (and also how she goes into it), her wonderful spiral extensions, her light-as-a-feather double axel, and the magical position and timing of her twizzles at the end of her footwork sequence. That's 4 special, memorable things. This program has 0.

I just hope that Mao is at least able to skate with freedom at the Olympics. It used to feel like she was at home on the ice, but now the majority of the time it looks like she doesn't really want to be out there.

Rinkside
    This is a master piece indeed even if her jump is not in a good state.
    The steps is so fluent and elegent and mao fits the music perfectly

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    This had some beautiful moments.

I loved the first part of the ending layback. So classic and elegant, and I think she held the position longer than most. Of course, like all the other ladies, she junks it up at the end to gain the levels... such is CoP.

I am not a huge fan of her catch-foot camel, but maybe that's just me.

I think it's as "Olympic caliber" as anything else we'll see.

I look at her grace and maturity, and I recall how she was the "jumping bean" back in the early days. What a beautiful transformation; it's like we've all watched her grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Mao has 6+ months to put the finishing touches on this program. I think it's delightful and well-suited to her style skating. I don't think a musical piece has to be heavy and dramatic and angst-ridden to be Olympic calibre. It's how it's skated...... People keep talking about Kostner and Kim as the front-runners, don't count out Mao.
    Sure the program has more time to gain mileage, but her jumps need to be ready in 2 months for the Grand Prix. She cannot afford to lose any more momentum to Kostner or Kim if she wants a decent shot at the OGM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Maturity, yes, but she has lost a lot of her effortless flow over the ice and a lot of her beautiful lines.
    She has lost her LINES of all things???
    Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

You may not like the program but, if anything, her lines are better than ever now!

This video is from an ice show in late july so nitpicking the jumps is premature. Also, it is hard to jump with the lights and Mao was also getting use to new boots

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

Sorry, but this program is totally mediocore to me. Very little of it is truly one with the music, most of it looks like its just there to tick off a required box (her flying camel is NOT good), and there are no special highlights.
    I thought her flow over the ice was wonderful. As for highlights, the music does not have any, so a seamless delicate flow is just right for the music. The problem with the jumps is that they are kind of an interruption to the program, even if done well. That will be the hard part. IMHO -- to get the jumps so solid that they seem like part of the program. Other than that,

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I thought her flow over the ice was wonderful. As for highlights, the music does not have any, so a seamless delicate flow is just right for the music. The problem with the jumps is that they are kind of an interruption to the program, even if done well. That will be the hard part. IMHO -- to get the jumps so solid that they seem like part of the program. Other than that,
    Mathman, very well put! I agree 100 %.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast