another question on "boot issue".......Blades | Golden Skate

another question on "boot issue".......Blades

Iskate512

Spectator
So sorry....I have to also ask about blades.
I have heard many stories about switching blades too early or problems adjusting.
I have been encouraged to switch to a dance blade because of maneuverability with partner. Or just in general.
I am not advanced at all in Ice dance but some elements I am (makes my coach think....hmmm how strange).
The things that are supposed to be difficult are easy for me and the stuff that is supposed to be easy is hard! What is wrong with me??? lol
I have always been able to do foot work no problem (maybe from dance i don't know but i love it)

Should I switch blades? I know you can't tell unless you see me skate but I'm not sure. Maybe I will be surprised.

Right now I am still skating in my old MK professional freestyle blades.....not even an upper end freestyle blade. I just don't know..........scared.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
The dance blade is a bit shorter than a freeskate blade so it does allow for tighter turns and such. The major consideration if you're considering switching to dance blades is how much you plan on freeskating. You can freeskate in dance blades, but jumps past singles will be affected. You can defiantly get through all your dance tests and such with a freeskate blade, so it's really only necessary to get a dance blade if that is all you're doing. Most problems that come with switching the blade are related to a rocker that is too extreme or picks that are too big. Just make sure that you talk to the people at the skate shop and explain the level you are at. Hopefully they're good and can help you get the right blade.

mdsicesports

Spectator
One more thing to check is to see if your "old" Mk professional blades are still in good shape, or if the rocker has been ground down. It is possible you are not even skating on a "professional" any longer. Try to compare your blades to a new set to see if they still have the original rocker profile. At least it will give you a true starting place to search for new blades and may explain why some elements are easier than others.