best laybacks and criteria to achieve level 4 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

best laybacks and criteria to achieve level 4

Robeye

Final Flight
How do you get stricter on something as objective as speed? If it's still arbitrary, then they should start measuring RPM and stipulating the RPM increase required to count as "clear" - we have video recordings and image analysis software for this kind of thing. The technical panel can just be there for ensuring the software hasn't been fooled.
I've always been of the view that this is the general direction that things will go in the long term. In the short term, the issues are cost and institutional inertia. A related issue is that it doesn't make sense to install such elaborate systems just for measuring the rotational acceleration of spins. It would have to be in the context of a more wide-ranging technological overhaul of how skating is judged and presented. (I think I wrote a speculative piece on this a while back)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Because tech panels have gotten much stricter on clear increase of speed.

I wouldn't say that? The feature was take about for many seasons and just came back last season. There's not really much of a comparison to go off of since barely anyone attempted the feature last season. I think you just have to be smart about it. Do a classic layback position and then pull in with both the arms and the free leg. You're going to increase in speed and the change of arm/leg position makes it obvious.

Moment

Final Flight
A good example of the layback utilizing the increase of speed feature: Viktoria Helgesson
A bad one: Daisuke Takahashi

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't know all of the skaters above the list but I really like Julia Lipnitskaia's spins and Eelena Radionova' pearl spin.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say that? Do a classic layback position and then pull in with both the arms and the free leg. You're going to increase in speed and the change of arm/leg position makes it obvious.
Actually, I believe you have to stay in the same position for it to count in listening to tech panel people who have gone through some of the most recent training, which means no change of arms/leg position. If that's not true, then these folks are being taught something incorrectly/misunderstand what they are being taught which is the same thing...

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
fastest laybacks: Viktoria Helgesson, Kiira Korpi, Valentina Marchei, Akiko Suzuki.... no end with biellman

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Actually, I believe you have to stay in the same position for it to count in listening to tech panel people who have gone through some of the most recent training, which means no change of arms/leg position. If that's not true, then these folks are being taught something incorrectly/misunderstand what they are being taught which is the same thing...

Yeah, that's the stupidest thing about this level feature. As far as I know, it's supposed to be an increase of speed once you're in the position. The problem is, how do you actually increase speed unless you change the position (i.e. pull the leg in closer or your arms tighter). Otherwise many skaters would have an "increase of speed" since usually their sit positions are much faster than their camel position preceding it, and the same with the layback having a slower initial layback but then as you pull the leg in for a haircutter the speed will increase.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

As long as you are staying in a Camel, Sit, Layback/Upright, or "intermediate" position and not going into a difficult variation of position, it counts as the same position. Although the rules don't include "intermediate" positions for the clear-increase-of-speed feature to be applicable.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No discussion of classic laybacks is complete without a mention of Angela Nikodinov.

Youtube any of her performances. They all include an exquisite layback spin. She sometimes ended her programs with one, just because it had to pump the judges.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I'm a huge fan of the Sims 3. In the game skating is a skill and once your Sims masters it, they can do some pretty neat spins. I just found this out last weekend when I was playing. They do a lovely layback, a leaning position, and finally a Pearl spin...and it's a Caroline Zhang circa 2007 level Pearl spin! I was so shocked and excited:biggrin:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5xX8Z1dlAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=29

Made my day! Really nice positions, though Caroline still does it better. :cool:

macy

Record Breaker
i can't help but marvel at alissa's layback. nobody else does it like her. it is the highlight of each and every one of her programs and her choreographers always put it in the right place with the music. in every position she gains speed and not by intentionally pulling her arms or legs in, and i bet she could do whatever variation you ask of her.

in this combo spin she does a back beillmann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igTgLpC2orQ&t=2m15s
this is my favorite program of alissa's and the absolute best part of the program they could have put the layback...omg sooo beautiful :love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hJk-vTcdjg&t=4m53s

ivy

On the Ice
For a great classic layback Alissa's shoulders should be parallel to the ice. In this spin one shoulder is dropped from the beginning as a prep for the bielmann I assume. I'm another Nikodenov fan

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
another beautiful layback... KEXIN ZHANG! better than Li, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Murakami .. she is so particular with her arms... georgous layback and biellman!