Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chovk and Bates -- I knew I was going to hate vocal music. I got caught up with trying to follow the music and forgot that there was someone skating.
Oh so many events ago, I found out I was no good at seeing what the judges were looking for. This was confirmed to me again when I would turn on the technical channel of the ear bug and listen
to real experts tell me what the judges and tech panel were looking for in ice dance. But that's OK. Many here are blessed with seeing the right and wrong, like Mirai's URs. I am not. I am there for the performance.
And I thought for me the vocals added to my feelings about C/B's Free Dance. And for me, feelings are what it is all about. But I can see Mathman's point. If you were trying to watch for what the tech panel and judges were
looking for, the music would be distracting....

KKonas

Medalist
IMO, lyrics should be used sparingly - at the beginning (as an introduction to a specific storyline) and/or at the end of a program (to punctuate a dramatic ending.) Anything else is overkill.

LRK

Record Breaker
Now that I've caught up on this Finlandia thread, I've really got to ask: what???

I mean, I've seen you acknowledge the obvious and widely recognized fact that Liza's main problem in competitions is her inability to skate clean SPs. Yet you also continue to insist that Liza has a "weight problem" which... is really baffling to me. Firstly, because she looks healthy to me; secondly, because having a "weight problem" would not explain her SP problem unless you think that somehow Liza's body is a medical anomaly and drastically fluctuates in weight in mere days for her to be capable of performing her jumps in a relatively clean FS shortly after. I also don't see how her body could look much different from last season because of her "black tights and black dress" considering the fact that she wore practically the same thing last season too... :unsure:

It's a funny "weight issue" that afflicts someone more in the SP than in the LP, isn't it? ;)

Sara

On the Ice
It's interesting how differently you see things when you watch a competition on TV compared to watching it live on the spot. I liked especially Julia Lipnitskaia 'cos at last(!) we could see some expression on her face! She interpreted pretty well the music (Schindler's list is one of my favourite movies and I love the music), technically she was great (except the 2A...) and looked cute in her red dress. It was as if she would be an older version of the little girl who appears in the very end of the movie. I think Julia's LP suits her perfectly. I was also happy for Liza ending up third. She seemed very nervous both before her long and short. I think she performed her programmes really well despite some mistakes. I agree she should wear something else than black! I hope she becomes more confident about herself (she is such a pretty young lady!!). Mirai's performances were disappointing, I was expecting much more from her. Yuzuru was brilliant. When you see him skating live it just gives you the chills. I was also impressed by Sergey Voronov. He brings so much energy and passion to the ice. I'm glad to see that his collaboration with coach Eteri has started so well. I read an interview of Tutberidze where she said she was at first reluctant to take Voronov to her group (I can add links to her interviews if you like, I find them very interesting as she speaks frankly and openly about skating and different skaters). Gachinski didn't impress me much. In my opinion he doesn't have such charisma and artistry as Voronov. Mishin and Tutberidze were both overjoyed for having all their students on the podium. Mishin was so funny when he went to the ice to take pics alongside with the official photographers. He waved his arms and orchestrated the situation, and took many photos of the Russian skaters together with himself and Eteri. :) Virtue/Moir were lovely!! I thought their scores would have been higher. I didn't like the vocals in Chock/Bates' LP, too distracting. The Bond themed LP of Tobias/Stagniunas suited them very well!

EDIT: There's a new interview of Tutberidze on a Russian sports website. She explains that it was Julia who chose the music Schindler's List and after seeing the movie, Julia wanted to portray the movie's little girl in the red coat and to tell her story. How adorable! I was associating her with that little girl when I saw her skating on Sunday. :)

Précision

Rinkside
Some of you asked about the synchro competition, and now there's videos in youtube! :)
Go here.

Results were:
1.Team Unique "Great balls of fire"
2. Team Paradise "Bla bla bla cha cha cha"
3. Marigold IceUnity "African Vogue"
4.Rockettes "Aloha moho"
5. Revolutions "Daughters of the wind"

Required elements this season in senior short program:
1. Block, pivotin must be done in 4 lines ( senior teams all attempt level4, so they have to do the pivoting with 4 steps on one foot and pivot 270 degrees. Pivot point must change ends once.
2. Moves in the field
3. Wheel, travel must be done in a parallel wheel and change of direction in 2-spoke wheel. (for level4 you must do travel extra features such as release your hold for 3 seconds)
4. No hold element (the step sequence done in 4 line no hold block)
5. Intersection (for seniors the required intersection this season is angled intersection)

This is very early for synchroteams to compete, so the programs aren't ready yet. Still i'm very excited for this season, since the finnish teams are all in a good shape, especially I liked Rockettes and Marigold's programs. Team Unique is strong and technically very good, but the program itself wasn't my favorite.
Revolutions are using finnish folkmusic in their program. And are you guys familiar with voguing? Marigold is using voguing in their short, and they mixed it up with Lion King! They have made Lion King program before, and they actually use they old starting position in this program. Lion King from the 2003 Worlds

Russia's Paradise have skated to ballad for 2 season in a row in their short so it was nice to see them doing something different, and i'm sure that no other synchro team could do a cha cha as good as they did!

swurvestar

Rinkside
Some of you asked about the synchro competition, and now there's videos in youtube! :)
Go here.

Results were:
4.Rockettes "Aloha moho"

Reguired elements this season in senior short program:
1. Block, pivotin must be done in 4 lines ( senior teams all attempt level4, so they have to do the pivoting with 4 steps on one foot and pivot 270 degrees. Pivot point musch change ens once.
2. Moves in the field
3. Wheel, travel must be done in a parallel wheel and change of direction in 2-spoke wheel. (for level4 you must do travel extra features such as release your hold for 3 secons)
5. Intersection (for seniors the required intersection this season is angled intersection)

This is very early for synchroteams to compete, so the programs aren't ready yet. Still i'm very excited for this season, since the finnish teams are all in a good shape, especially I liked Rockettes and Marigold's programs. Team Unique is strong and technically very good, but the program itself wasn't my favorite.
Revolutions are using finnish folkmusic in their program. And are you guys familiar with voguing? Marigold is using voguing in their short, and they mixed it up with Lion King! They have made Lion King program before, and they actually use they old starting position in this program. Lion King from the 2003 Worlds

Russia's Paradise have skated to ballad for 2 season in a row in their short so it was nice to see them doing something different, anf i'm sure that no other synchro team could so a cha cha as good as they did!

Thank you so much for this! I've been waiting to see them. I love synchro (former synchro skater - when it was still called precision, haha!)

loopy

Final Flight
Go here.

Results were:
4.Rockettes "Aloha moho"

Reguired elements this season in senior short program:
1. Block, pivotin must be done in 4 lines ( senior teams all attempt level4, so they have to do the pivoting with 4 steps on one foot and pivot 270 degrees. Pivot point musch change ens once.
2. Moves in the field
3. Wheel, travel must be done in a parallel wheel and change of direction in 2-spoke wheel. (for level4 you must do travel extra features such as release your hold for 3 secons)

Russia's Paradise have skated to ballad for 2 season in a row in their short so it was nice to see them doing something different, anf i'm sure that no other synchro team could so a cha cha as good as they did!

Seconding with e HUGE thank you!