Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Latest, greatest Finlandia Schedule PDF (as of Oct 2) - incl. practices:

I just called to the broadcasting company YLE where they said that you can watch the competition live also outside Finland! :) (don't kill me if they decide otherwise on the last minute ;) This concerns the programme of Saturday and Sunday so unfortunately we cannot watch ice dance (short dance) live on Friday. Anyway, you can find the livestream here: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/suora#webcastlist Finlandia Trophy is already listed there for Saturday ("Lauantaina 5.10.2013") at 13.35-21.00 and for Sunday ("Sunnuntaina 6.10.2013") at 13.00-18.45.

If the link doesn't work go to the main page of YLE and click "suorat lähetykset" (http://areena.yle.fi/tv). :)

Sara, thanks very much for the streaming information. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Erm, I don't like to be arguing with somebody that is actually in the country, but just remember that you're in Daylight Savings Time, whereas GMT is not.

So, at the moment, Finland is using Eastern European Summer Time, which is GMT+3.

Don't worry - you're still 2 hours ahead of us in the UK. It's just that we are currently using British Summer Time, which is GMT+1.

So, just to clarify, the Finlandia Short Dance starts at 15:50 GMT on Friday, which is in the middle of the Ondrej Nepela Pairs SP. Grrrr!!! :bang:

Sorry Finland, but if the livestreaming from Slovakia isn't geoblocked, I'll be in Bratislava all day on Friday! (I prefer Pairs skating to Ice Dance). But, don't worry - I'll be in Espoo for most of Saturday! ;) :biggrin:

PLEASE don't have both competitions scheduled for the same weekend next year!!!

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just called to the broadcasting company YLE where they said that you can watch the competition live also outside Finland! :) (don't kill me if they decide otherwise on the last minute ;) This concerns the programme of Saturday and Sunday so unfortunately we cannot watch ice dance (short dance) live on Friday. Anyway, you can find the livestream here: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/suora#webcastlist Finlandia Trophy is already listed there for Saturday ("Lauantaina 5.10.2013") at 13.35-21.00 and for Sunday ("Sunnuntaina 6.10.2013") at 13.00-18.45.

If the link doesn't work go to the main page of YLE and click "suorat lähetykset" (http://areena.yle.fi/tv). :)

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to copy this into the first post on this thread so its easy to find.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
There are other threads that imply that the reason for their withdrawal is that they are being forced by their federation to change both programs. Which is it? Injury or program changes?
Maybe both...

Sara

On the Ice
Erm, I don't like to be arguing with somebody that is actually in the country, but just remember that you're in Daylight Savings Time, whereas GMT is not.

So, at the moment, Finland is using Eastern European Summer Time, which is GMT+3.

Don't worry - you're still 2 hours ahead of us in the UK. It's just that we are currently using British Summer Time, which is GMT+1.

So, just to clarify, the Finlandia Short Dance starts at 15:50 GMT on Friday, which is in the middle of the Ondrej Nepela Pairs SP. Grrrr!!! :bang:

Sorry Finland, but if the livestreaming from Slovakia isn't geoblocked, I'll be in Bratislava all day on Friday! (I prefer Pairs skating to Ice Dance). But, don't worry - I'll be in Espoo for most of Saturday! ;) :biggrin:

PLEASE don't have both competitions scheduled for the same weekend next year!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Haha thanks, I corrected the time! Don't worry about Friday, as I mentioned in my previous post one cannot even watch FT through the stream on Friday (no live streaming I was told). So feel free to stay with Ondrej Nepela (as long as you promise to watch Finlandia for the rest of the weekend) :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Instagram still photo: The awesome draw ceremony at #FinlandiaTrophy.

Was trying to pick out Virtue and Moir.
Maybe they are at the front of the crowd to the right?? She in a white blouse and dark jacket?? And he in a black top and brown pants?? Or maybe not.​

ice-dance.com's Finlandia Trophy preview:
Created on Thursday, 03 October 2013 04:39
Article by Ashli Meynert & Melanie Hoyt
http://www.ice-dance.com/main/2013-...andia-trophy-to-host-a-much-anticipated-debut

Sara

On the Ice
I think the pic is from the draw regarding synchro teams. Synchro teams are competing tomorrow in FT (only SP).
Edit: I can see some Finnish ice dancers there too, but mainly synchro skaters.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, I too had noticed a lot of synchro skaters ... but thought some ice dancers were interspersed as well. :)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the links and info on the streaming :clap:. I'll be watching on Saturday and Sunday.

Finnstep

Final Flight
From the official Finlandia Trophy website:

You may watch the Finlandia Trophy Espoo LIVE as follows:

Friday October 4th starting at 17.30/Opening Ceremonies, Ice Dance Short Dance, Synchronized Skating Short Programme: www.finlandiatrophy.com front page

Saturday October 5th starting 13.35/Short Programme Men and Ladies, Ice Dance Free Dance: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2046700

Sunday 6th starting at 13.00/Men and Ladies Free Programme: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2046705

They would be showing the events that are being held in Friday.:yay:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Where can you convert times? Confused after the discussion. lol

Sorry if I have caused any confusion.

Ironically, trying to minimise confusion to people who are not living in Europe is precisely the reason I am being pedantic over time zones and Daylight Savings Time.

Let me explain.

There are four main times zones in Europe:

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+0)
Cental European Time (GMT+1)
Eastern European Time (GMT+2)
Moscow Time (GMT+4)

Moscow Time used to be GMT+3. But, in 2011, Medvedev decided to move Russia permanently onto Daylight Savings Time. When Putin came back to the Presidency, he was going to change it back, but changed his mind.

Daylight Savings Time is the reason for the current confusion. From the last Sunday in March to last Sunday in October, all of Europe west of Russia observes Daylight Savings Time. So, the current time zones are:

British Summer Time (GMT+1)
Cental European Summer Time (GMT+2)
Eastern European Summer Time (GMT+3)
Moscow Time (GMT+4)

GMT is the universal standard for calculating time zones from.

For us in Europe, it is easy to convert the time for an event elsewhere in Europe. And as long as you know which time zone the country is in, it is easy to work out times compared to our own.

The problem is that most people across the globe know that GMT is used in Britain, Ireland and Portugal. But, a lot people outside Europe don't realise (or simply forget) that Britain, Ireland and Portugal move away from GMT for 7 months of the year.

This is a global forum. So, some people will be calculating from what they know is the time in GMT, while others will be calculating from what they know is the time in London.

So, to make everything clear to everybody, every time I talk about times, I am emphasising that Europe is in Daylight Savings Time so that people outside Europe don't end up missing parts of the competitions that are being held in Europe.

Don't worry, once we reach the last Sunday in October, everything will be simple again!

Hope that makes everything clearer

CaroLiza_fan