Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I would say Julia's choice of music is smart: if you are a person who does not show much emotion, a sad soft music will definitely work, since based on the music you are not supposed to show much. Her food steps are not that great, as noodly as most junior ladies. Among her and Radionova, I love Radionova better. Her spins are very centered with lots of power, and she is much more exciting to watch.

Julia's spins are faster and gets level4's
Radionova has wobbly jumps now that she grew her 2A is her worst jump.
seems her coach Goncharenko isn't good with 2A techniques, Samarin her boy student still cannot get a 3A even.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir's FD definitely lived up to my expectations. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :bow:

To me, only one moment was so very reminiscent of Mahler that I hope that they will consider changing it. It's when they are side by side facing the same direction, and they come to a stop for a second and look off into the distance.
(Although Moir's costume also made me think of Mahler, the resemblance does not bother me at all.)
Well, it was not about specific moves: what made me think this program as a "second Mahler" was the overall feeling. Over the last three years, they have presented a completely new music choice every year: the energetic and sparklin Latin program, the jazzy, fun and elegant Funny Face and the passionate and dramatic Carmen; now they go back to a lyrical, soft, emotional program with classical ethereal music and that man-and-woman-in-love feeling shown by their ecstatic facial expressions=Mahler. And it was breathtaking. But it was three years ago.
(this is the opinion of a huge V/M fan :slink:)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I would say Julia's choice of music is smart: if you are a person who does not show much emotion, a sad soft music will definitely work, since based on the music you are not supposed to show much. Her food steps are not that great, as noodly as most junior ladies. Among her and Radionova, I love Radionova better. Her spins are very centered with lots of power, and she is much more exciting to watch.

Julia is just exclusive Senior now right?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm sad to say I was bored by it. And I've never said that about any of V/M's competitive programs. :eek:hwell:

Hmm, I wasn't so much bored as frustrated. They've gone back to the ooey-gooey (surprise surprise), and after the stylistic chances they've taken the last few years, it was disappointing. I do, however, like almost all of the new lifts (though that one where Ms V looks like she is doing a backflip into a pool just never works for me).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
looks like D/W wont have to worry much about competition for the gold
maybe a surprise even and V/M gets bumped to bronze by Sochi

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir CAN FD Glazunov's ballet, Seasons, and Scriabin's, Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9oxkHhYJ_U

Madison Chock & Evan Bates USA FD Les Miserables soundtrack (One More Day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXQHFDTk_Y

Tobias/Stagniunas FD James Bondy Medley, including Skyfall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1T-NSTJuW0

Justyna Plutowska/Peter Gerber POL fD The Artist soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ent5_CU7E

Henna Lindholm/Ossi Kanervo FIN FD Cinema Paradiso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF7w-H5xp8

gmyers

Record Breaker
first full senior season you mean eligible to all ISU held events

she is only going to compete as a senior is what I think. So I don't see reasons to compare her to any juniors like she is going to be competing against radionova at all. Maybe at senior Russian nationals? But that's just because radionova is eligible.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a lovely program of Mirai! The speed compared to Finnish girls was great. Beautiful spins, coming to 2A... Gorgeus! Not sure if the combination was clean.

Mirai's spins are the best in the business. Why do we need a complicated system to just give her credit for being the best in that area? I really like her program. Too bad, she is so under-the-microscope with the judges.

icellist

On the Ice
Mirai's spins are the best in the business. Why do we need a complicated system to just give her credit for being the best in that area? I really like her program. Too bad, she is so under-the-microscope with the judges.

Exactly! If it was anybody else on the under the scope, the jumps would've been called 3F-3T< and the 3L would've gotten the benefit of the doubt.

ordinary person

On the Ice
Liza...Oh, Liza! She is such a pretty face and I think she is a very nice girl. But why is she killing us with those black tights again and again. We sould all sign a petition and send her not to wear those anymore.

I thought this was over and yet here again i still see some complaints.
I love non flesh-colored tights and all but skaters have the right to wear any kind of color.
That petition won't ever happen though:laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Chock & Bates...maybe it's me (and boy was that a rough sketch of a skate), but that music doesn't seem to suit them that well. Maybe it's because I'm bored to tears by Les Miz. She's got Drama Diva written all over her, but I think that's the wrong music. Or is it just me?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Chock & Bates...maybe it's me (and boy was that a rough sketch of a skate), but that music doesn't seem to suit them that well. Maybe it's because I'm bored to tears by Les Miz. She's got Drama Diva written all over her, but I think that's the wrong music. Or is it just me?

I think that it is a mistake for any team to do one day more with vocals. So much is going on with the music that it is hard (maybe impossible) to convey the full depth of it in the dance.

beabstress

On the Ice

No, it isn't just you. Her costume, while lovely, looks a bit too demure for her fiery personality. And I still am not sold on the two of them as a partnership--there's quite a height difference, and they just have two entirely different "looks."

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK. I love both D/W and V/M... but push-come-to-shove prefer D/W... so this is probably going to be unjustly viewed as sniping.

Overall, I don't like this FD half as much as their others. It's pleasant, but not at all dramatic. Tessa is a beautiful woman with dramatic flair, and this doesn't do her justice. I did like the circular steps at the beginning. I expected the music and the program to build from there, and it didn't, at least going by what I saw on my tiny computer screen.

The audience response was tepid, and so were their marks. Even this early in the season, this is alarming to me. I'm not sure if it just wasn't skated to its best, or if I'm just finding the overall program a dud.

I wasn't a fan of Carmen, but at least it played to their strengths, and gave Tess some opportunity to shine. I much prefer it to this program.

IleK

On the Ice
I thought this was over and yet here again i still see some complaints.
I love non flesh-colored tights and all but skaters have the right to wear any kind of color.
That petition won't ever happen though:laugh:

They have the right to wear pink tights and dye their hair green but that doesn't mean that we have to like it. It is very obvious that wearing those tights it is not a good thing for Liza but of course she can do whatever she wants. The dress she was wearing is a very delicate one with no sleeves, very short that has nothing to do with some black tights (in a different kind of black) that she use to wear at practice. I've seen recently at Nebelhorn a very beautiful girl, tall with skinny legs, I think from Bulgaria, coached by Andrei Lutai, who wore some very thin and delicate tights that matched very well her also delicate dress. It looked great, something that made me remember her. Also Fleur Maxwell wore the same kind of thin tights for her long program. Nobody said anything about why they wore them because they didn't hurt the eye. Figure skating has to be artistic from head to toes.
And about the petition it was a joke but what I was trying to say is that it would be nice if the skaters would receive some feedback from their fans. For example, some skaters show pictures of their new costumes on facebook or twitter asking for opinions. The "petition" was a nice thought, not a bad one, to help Liza, because I am sure that at some point she will grow up enough to get rid of those tights and show us the lady she has become. She is too pretty and too young to hide behind some black costumes, always the same, just because she thinks she is too fat. She never wore the tights, nor black dresses before last year when she had the grow spurt.

beabstress

On the Ice
Hmm, I wasn't so much bored as frustrated. They've gone back to the ooey-gooey (surprise surprise), and after the stylistic chances they've taken the last few years, it was disappointing. I do, however, like almost all of the new lifts (though that one where Ms V looks like she is doing a backflip into a pool just never works for me).

I don't envy them, that's for sure. It's easy to get the sense that the judges aren't looking to have a repeat Olympic champion (Grishuk and Platov perhaps will be the only ever), and that no matter what the reigning champions do (break new ground vs. stay with the tried-and-true), it's not going to be what the judges want. Do the judges even know what they want? I hope that Tessa and Scott enjoy the season, take care of the factors that are within their control, and then just let everything else go.

KKonas

Medalist
I think that it is a mistake for any team to do one day more with vocals. So much is going on with the music that it is hard (maybe impossible) to convey the full depth of it in the dance.

I agree. It's distracting, especially when the vocals go on and on and on. It's the same problem I have with Weaver & Poje's FD.

KKonas

Medalist
Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir CAN FD Glazunov's ballet, Seasons, and Scriabin's, Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9oxkHhYJ_U

Madison Chock & Evan Bates USA FD Les Miserables soundtrack (One More Day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXQHFDTk_Y

Tobias/Stagniunas FD James Bondy Medley, including Skyfall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1T-NSTJuW0

Justyna Plutowska/Peter Gerber POL fD The Artist soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ent5_CU7E

Henna Lindholm/Ossi Kanervo FIN FD Cinema Paradiso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF7w-H5xp8

Thanks, Doris, for uploading the videos.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
OK. I love both D/W and V/M... but push-come-to-shove prefer D/W... so this is probably going to be unjustly viewed as sniping.

Overall, I don't like this FD half as much as their others. It's pleasant, but not at all dramatic. Tessa is a beautiful woman with dramatic flair, and this doesn't do her justice. I did like the circular steps at the beginning. I expected the music and the program to build from there, and it didn't, at least going by what I saw on my tiny computer screen.

The audience response was tepid, and so were their marks. Even this early in the season, this is alarming to me. I'm not sure if it just wasn't skated to its best, or if I'm just finding the overall program a dud.

I wasn't a fan of Carmen, but at least it played to their strengths, and gave Tess some opportunity to shine. I much prefer it to this program.

The audience reaction was rather tepid, wasn't it? I found that VERY surprising.

Look, Voir are so talented they could do this kind of program in their sleep. And I suspect that's the main problem...