Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Lam has improved, very good score from her
considering she has struggled for 3 seasons with her jumps

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Julia and Akiko is likely to stay 1st and 2nd with 10 points lead. Elizaveta, Vanessa and Mirai for 3rd. I think it's gonna go to Elizaveta :sarcasm:

Icey

Record Breaker
I think Mirai comes into a competition burdened by her past problems and might get extraordinary scrutiny. No benefit of doubt, which MIGHT be given to others. Must be discouraging. Really don't see how she finds it in herself
to continue.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, but you're the one who keeps putting Julia out there as a paragon of "Ladies" skating. And she just isn't....at least not yet.

ETA: Lam's music/program is a snoozefest but she looks like her jumps are a little higher than they used to be. Didn't she change coaches this past season?

I think that was Tammy Gambill with Vanessa in the kiss n cry. Her previous coach was Dianne DeLeuuw-Chapman. Her Icenetwork bio hasn't been updated with a new coach so I'm not sure she has actually switched.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
sky_fly20 said:
why not ? Julia has improvement her presentation, has good speed and has terrific spins all necessary to rack Component points

In which universe are good spins tied to PCS again? Spins belong to the TES.
Her speed might be fine, but I don't think she's as fast as Akiko - though maybe someone who was there can give a better judgement about that. Anyway, her SS are okay, but below Akikos. Actually Akiko is above Julia in all the PCS marks, but especially in IN. Yes, Julia has improved, but she's still nowhere near Akikos level here. It's not just the difference between a lady and a girl, it's how Akiko has a delicate use of her arms, a superior use of her whole body giving a sense of sureness and ease that Julia just isn't capable of. Akiko has such a fine sense of musicality, accomponied by a charming, light yet strong personality. IMO, she even manages to make her moves look nearly unchoreographed, as if she was just doing what the music tells her to do naturally, and not what some choreographer taught her too.
It's more like Akiko should have been more than 1 point ahead of Julia on IN alone! And then there's CH and PE too...(and the more I think about it, the more I think the gap should have rather been wieder, and not smaller :biggrin: )

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's not just the difference between a lady and a girl, it's how Akiko has a delicate use of her arms, a superior use of her whole body giving a sense of sureness and ease that Julia just isn't capable of. Akiko has such a fine sense of musicality, accomponied by a charming, light yet strong personality. IMO, she even manages to make her moves look nearly unchoreographed, as if she was just doing what the music tells her to do naturally, and not what some choreographer taught her too.

its called over endulging , her marks here were in Carolina's range and no way is Akiko even comparable to Carolina's PCS
but then again Finlandia is a B event. Julia has made good improvements , she may be a girl but lets see if she really isn't
capable of getting those components in the coming events and years.

Icey

Record Breaker
In this competition, it is as if the judges are so blinded by youthful Julia's technical prowness, they feel inclined to bring her component scores to an equivalent level---and they are not there yet imo. This will not benefit her in the long run.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Julia: :love: needs to improve that terrible 2A and the intepretation (during the middle section of the program she still looked deaf), but today she was really solid and wonderful
Mirai: :cry: those terrible < and <<!! :bang:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Tuktamysheva with two terrible mistakes receiving better PCS than a clean Mirai: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

IleK

On the Ice
Akiko was the class of the field. I love her program,the music is so beautiful, a great choice. If it wasn't for that step-out she would have been in first.
Sky-fly, we all know that you love Julia, and she really showed improvement since lat year. I also like her music choice, it does her favors, the choreo is very clever and tiny as she is, she looks taller and prettier than last year. BUT, you make me laugh every when you say a Lady like Akiko was overscored comparing to a kid like Julia. The difference in PCS between the 2 of them should be as big as the difference on years between a 28 years old Lady and a 15 years old kid. Have patience, your Julia will become a lady at some point, she will learn to open up, to express more, maybe she would also do something about that awful axel, and by that time there will come up another kid like she used to be, trying to take her crown by doing all the jumps and spins that early age and a tiny body allows you to do.

Vanessa Lam was quite a surprise. I was wondering why the US fed sent her here because she had a hard time the last 2 years and seemed to be forever lost. I loved her when I first saw her as junior and I am happy to see that she fought back injuries and growth spurt and she became a little lady. O enjoyed her program very much, Mirai should borrow some expression from her and that entrance into the double axel was simply beautiful.

Liza...Oh, Liza! She is such a pretty face and I think she is a very nice girl. But why is she killing us with those black tights again and again. We sould all sign a petition and send her not to wear those anymore. That is her new body and shoud get used to it. Some black tights won't change anything.I think at some point those extra pounds will go away when she will pass this difficult age. The same happened to Elene Gedevanishvili. I almost forgot about the mistakes, those tights were all aver the screen. I already said I don' t like the music, so, even if she does the jumps I am not keen on this program. But I like her and I hope she does better in the long.
As far as I can see, Julia is Russia's first hope for the Olympics. Adelina and Liza are struggling. Nikol looked so much better than Liza with all her mistakes in the long. But she has her own demons with the jumping technique.

I like Mirai's SP but she has the same problems as last year. UR and lack of facial expression. The body expression is very nice though.

IleK

On the Ice
In which universe are good spins tied to PCS again? Spins belong to the TES.
Her speed might be fine, but I don't think she's as fast as Akiko - though maybe someone who was there can give a better judgement about that. Anyway, her SS are okay, but below Akikos. Actually Akiko is above Julia in all the PCS marks, but especially in IN. Yes, Julia has improved, but she's still nowhere near Akikos level here. It's not just the difference between a lady and a girl, it's how Akiko has a delicate use of her arms, a superior use of her whole body giving a sense of sureness and ease that Julia just isn't capable of. Akiko has such a fine sense of musicality, accomponied by a charming, light yet strong personality. IMO, she even manages to make her moves look nearly unchoreographed, as if she was just doing what the music tells her to do naturally, and not what some choreographer taught her too.
It's more like Akiko should have been more than 1 point ahead of Julia on IN alone! And then there's CH and PE too...(and the more I think about it, the more I think the gap should have rather been wieder, and not smaller :biggrin: )

:agree: I tried but couldn't say it as you did. It is the perfect description of what Akiko is and what she bring on the ice.

Icey

Record Breaker
well, Julia did get an edge call on her lutz and negative goe on her 2A

IleK

On the Ice
Julia > Akiko and Tuk > Mirai on PCS. Is pro-Russian bias/favoritism going on in this competition?

Talking about the ugly tights, I forgot that I was shocked that Liza got 52 points for such a messy program. Well, this is a Senior B, afterall, but still 52 with a fall and no combo?? And about the PCS, the thing is that Liza is trying to express something, Mirai isn't. And I don't know if any of this girls get some feedback from us, the fans, because it was written a billion times about Mirai's lack of expression and she does nothing about it and she has everything to be artistic. More than Liza has, but it looks like Liza knows she has to fight fore those PCS and Mirai just doesn't really care.