Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Julia > Akiko and Tuk > Mirai on PCS. Is pro-Russian bias/favoritism going on in this competition?
    No, Akiko's PCS was (deservedly) higher than Julia's...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    No, Akiko's PCS was (deservedly) higher than Julia's...
    OK but the gap should have been wider between them. I'll concede on the point IleK made above, Liza fighting might rank over Mirai not appearing to care.

Custom Title
    Ilek, I don't think the judges saw it that way: there is only a 0.25 difference between Mirai's and Liza"s IN scores and and a .20 difference between their P+I scores.

What's wrong with Mirai? She doesn't look like she likes skating at all :( I think both hers and Elizaveta's PCS were too high. For example compared to Isabelle's(5 points lower) who skated a clean program with good jumps/tech and no GOE minus. OK you can do a lot of transitions, but what's with that if you pop jumps/UR them/fall…?

Julia and Vanessa nice surprises

Thanks Suzuki

Custom Title
    I don't think Mirai didn't care, but I think she was trying to appear light/carefree, to fit the music. You can tell by her body movements that she was definitely committed to the choreography, but her facial expression didn't work with the music as noted.

Custom Title
    There is some music for which smiles are inappropriate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Ilek, I don't think the judges saw it that way: there is only a 0.25 difference between Mirai's and Liza"s IN scores and and a .20 difference between their P+I scores.
    Sorry, can you be more clear, I am not sure what are you refering to from I posted. I posted a lot and I am dizzy reading the forum, trying not to miss Tomas at ON and watching the Ice dance at Finlandia.

Custom Title
    There is some music for which smiles are inappropriate.
    Not necessarily a full-blown grin, but I think "The Man I Love" calls for a pleasant, flirty sort of expression at least.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Not necessarily a full-blown grin, but I think "The Man I Love" calls for a pleasant, flirty sort of expression at least.
    It's a torch song of romantic longing. Find and listen to Helen Morgan's tearful version.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IleK View Post
    Sorry, can you be more clear, I am not sure what are you refering to from I posted. I posted a lot and I am dizzy reading the forum, trying not to miss Tomas at ON and watching the Ice dance at Finlandia.
    See your post 238

Custom Title
    It's a torch song of romantic longing. Find and listen to Helen Morgan's tearful version.
    She could've done it in a more upbeat way like Ella Fitzgerald. But yes, torch song is the key word here. Torch songs = facial expression for sure.

I'm not saying that she deserved lower PCS than Tuktamysheva, not at all; in fact in my (biased) opinion her PCS are actually better than the others aside from Suzuki (SS particularly).

Then again, jumps are what gets you the majority of points, so she needs to focus on that as well. Hope for the best in the LP!

Custom Title
    See your post 238
    Well, as a fact I think the judges saw it that way. Because Mirai with her experience, qualities and with a beautiful program should be able to have higher PCS than Liza with that joke of a program, filled with mistakes, awful costume and flying hands. That little difference between the 2 of them says there is a problem. Liza is trying to get higher PCS and does what she knows to do. This the kind the music she can do and she is trying her best, even though the program doesn't help her at all. On the other hand, Mirai has the right costume, the right music, the perfect program, the proper movements but she doesn't show the emotion. She doesn't have to smile like Liza because there is a different kind of music, but emoting it's not equal to smiling. Look at Vanessa's face and you will see the difference.

Custom Title
    Mirai looked great. Really sad for her about those pesky URs! I'll have to rewatch it but the flip looked clean to me. I think the judges low balled her on some of her GOEs and in PCS. It's a great program. Really sophisticated and her body language is wonderful in it. The double axel was pure wow for me. That's maturity. I would have given it a +3! I really hope she's able to come out stronger in the long!!!

I kind of agree with Icey. It's a torch song. Smiling isn't exactly the order of the day. Go listen to Helen Morgan, and then look for Pina Bausch - The Man I Love. The dance piece she created is one of the most devastating I've ever seen.

Haven't gotten to see Vanessa or Liza yet. Akiko was pretty great. What is that music? It sounded so familiar. I want to see how this program develops. She skated the heck out of it, but it didn't quite catch me.

Julia too was great. She skates with more maturity this season. Still very youthful, but it's better this year. I actually wanted to watch the whole piece!

Looking forward to the freeskate. To me, the overall taste level and maturity of the skating was higher here for the ladies sp than the other Senior Bs so far.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Hello, just rejoining the thread to catch the second half of the FD.

Am in the US trying to watch the live stream at: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2046700

Question:
    For me, the stream is freezing up more often than not ... altho' for a few seconds now and again, it does work OK.
    Is something wrong with my particular connection? Or are others having similar problems?

Thanks

Custom Title
    Akiko's music is Hymne a L'amour, which is also a torch song now that I think about it -- she expresses it very well.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast