Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I don't get the black tights on Liza. She is very short, but for her height, her legs are actually pretty long. And sure, they are quite muscular, but in a shapely and toned way, not an unattractive way at all so she should feel no need to try and hide them with thick black tights. It just messes up her line and the overall look of the costume. She is very pretty, she's in good shape, the dress is nice, so what if she doesn't look like the Finnish sprites, she should embrace who she is and just wear normal tights! Her legs don't need to be lengthened and the dress itself is a flattering cut for her, overall she'd look way better by ditching those awful tights. She beat Carolina Kostner in the FS at Europeans!! Have some confidence girl!
    Black tights are normal tights like any other color, at least with these tights you don't look like you're half naked on the ice which is totally unrealistic.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bladz123 View Post
    I want to chime in....Having watched V and M on this small screen I can only say wow! both the short and free are playing to their strengths but still a challenge. The movements are perfect to the music and art is created. I dont see art and dance in the other programs yet this year. I have seen nothing live but this is a great year. Being Oly champs and trying to repeat is very hard, many of the fans will sit back and take potshots at them. I am not tainted by comments made by others but rather by what I see. Both of the top 2 teams have material that has potential but both of V and M's programs here show amazing strength, quiet gentle qualities and a joining of music and movement. As usual the canadians have made difficult look easy while the other flail away at the overboard attempt to present to the audience and judges. The short dance has a finnstep in the middle that is the best we have seen, the caller in Finland was mistaken with levels. The rest of the short is like the 2010 oringinal dance, unbeatable. The Free dance is just that, free of garish arm waving "I dont know what else to do" movements but filled with good skating, great and appropiate lifts. The spin is a special moment, phrased well and very interesting. The steps are great but must get stronger so that they receive the correct level and goe score. I dont put much into marks just yet. Home country false scoring vs over the top (really over the low) low scores don't mean anything yet. A great season waits and I only hope that sophisticated and resonable people will judge and promote all qualities. Looking forward to the Grand Prix season
    ALL OF THE TOP SKATERS IN SLC WERE RIDICULOUSLY OVERSCORED. It wasn't a case of National Inflation or special pleading for D/W.

This is the kind of uber comment that drives me nuts.

If anyone's combed through the score sheets, you may have noticed that Tessa and Scott had lower base values than the other five teams in the top six for their free dance. Their GOEs were not actually that low, it was their Base Value that lead to a low TES. I actually found their spin and lifts better than Madison and Evan - who had a slight stumble in their first combination lift yet still were rewarded a level 4.

Now for an in depth analysis of scoring at Finlandia vs. SLC (feel free to skip it if it is too long):

Using the two top teams, or in this case my two favourite teams as examples:

Total Element Scores:

Tessa and Scott had a total element score of 45.23 and a base value of 33.20.
    Subtract one from the other and that leaves a GOE score of 12.03.
    Apply the same mathematics to Meryl and Charlie's score and you get a GOE score of 12.97.
    So only a 0.94 difference between the two teams.

So let's scrutinise the technical panel and how this affected the scoring.
    Tessa and Scott had a base value of 33.20 compared to Meryl and Charlie's 40.20. 7 points between the two teams.
    That's what made all the difference. Let me point out to you this indeed was a recurring issue between Finlandia and
    SLC.

Lifts:
    Level 4 : 4 points.
    Level 3 : 3.5 points
    Level 2 : 2.5 points
    Level 1 :1.5 points

Tessa and Scott had 3 level 4 lifts, and 1 level 1 lift.
    Meryl and Charlie had 4 level 4 lifts, which already has them 2.5 points ahead on the Base Values.

Step Sequences:

Level 4: 8 points
    Level 3: 6.5 points
    Level 2: 5 points
    Level 1: 3.5 points

Tessa and Scott scored levels 3 and 2 on their step sequences.
    Meryl and Charlie scored level 3's on both. So another 1.5 points lost here for Tessa and Scott.

The same concept applies to the rest of their elements.
    Tessa and Scott had lower levels on their elements overall, and hence the 7 point difference in the Base Value.

And as for the always high PCS for both teams, Tessa and Scott only scored 1.44 points lower than Meryl and Charlie.

So yes, I am agreeing that the technical panel, not the judges, were much harsher at Finlandia.

The team from Lithuania must have improved a lot in less than a month, because they scored nearly 10 points higher at Finlandia
    than SLC. Same goes for the Polish team who scored about 12 points higher.

I really do like Tessa and Scott's program, but it seems like they are trying to reinvent Mahler for the upcoming Olympic season. Their short dance was very classy and elegant, and they've really chosen styles that are so 'them'. All in all, an excellent debut. Can't wait to see how they've improved by the Grand Prix series.

Tripping on the Podium
    I have found last year's synchro teams for the Finlandia Trophy but not this year's event. Does anyone know if they will be online?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    I have found last year's synchro teams for the Finlandia Trophy but not this year's event. Does anyone know if they will be online?
    Yes, I'm very interested in this too! Unfortunately, I know there's not too many synchro fans on here. I know there was a bunch of drama years ago about teams posting on forums and a lot of teams aren't allowed to anymore, which is probably why there isn't much interest on here.

I'm pleased to see Team Unique placed first. I've always been a big fan of them, so it's great to see them do so well.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    We do have some synchro fans, but they mostly become visible at Jr & Sr worlds. I didn't know the teams weren't allowed to post though.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    What's wrong with Mirai? She doesn't look like she likes skating at all :( I think both hers and Elizaveta's PCS were too high. For example compared to Isabelle's(5 points lower) who skated a clean program with good jumps/tech and no GOE minus. OK you can do a lot of transitions, but what's with that if you pop jumps/UR them/fall…?

Julia and Vanessa nice surprises

Thanks Suzuki

I saw it live and I think the results are correct.

Tuktamysheva was interesting , even with her jump problems. She has nice purity and power in her skating. When she took the ice for the warm up, that was a serious Wow moment. Her ice coverage was quite good and she carried herself quite well despite the jump problems. However, the music is not right for her.

Lipnistskaia was wonderful and her marks well deserved. Last year at FT she had zero interpretation but what a difference can one year make. Now she was more peaceful and let it happen. The flexibility tricks were not so obvious and in your face as last year. Of course her interpretation still needs work but she is on the right track.

Nagasu's skating was slightly better than last year but there was no real commitment to the program. There were moments where the music was just a background noise for her. Her jumps don't look good and IMO the UR/DG marks are correct and it might have something to do with the fact that she doesn't look fit. There is also this certain aura or vibe around her that gives you the impression that she is very uninspired although last year at FT that feeling was even stronger. The positives - the spread eagle to the 2A was nice as were the spins.

Lam was ok. However she is quite slow on the ice and her basic skating laborious. Some of her jumps still very low and muscled.

Olsson was clean but that program has to go. It was flat. Her last year's SP was a lot better.

Suzuki was fab. The program is not 100% there yet but she is on the right track. The program fits her well. She and Lipnistkaia were in the class of their own.

On the Ice
    The men's competition was quite boring live.

Hanyu was great. Miles ahead of the rest.

In ice dance Virtue/Moir were clearly the best and their free dance is wonderful. The Polish and Estonian teams were also nice but the Polish team's free dance is quite random. Their music felt random.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    I saw it live and I think the results are correct.

Tuktamysheva was interesting , even with her jump problems. She has nice purity and power in her skating. When she took the ice for the warm up, that was a serious Wow moment. Her ice coverage was quite good and she carried herself quite well despite the jump problems. However, the music is not right for her.

Lipnistskaia was wonderful and her marks well deserved. Last year at FT she had zero interpretation but what a difference can one year make. Now she was more peaceful and let it happen. The flexibility tricks were not so obvious and in your face as last year. Of course her interpretation still needs work but she is on the right track.

Nagasu's skating was slightly better than last year but there was no real commitment to the program. There were moments where the music was just a background noise for her. Her jumps don't look good and IMO the UR/DG marks are correct and it might have something to do with the fact that she doesn't look fit. There is also this certain aura or vibe around her that gives you the impression that she is very uninspired although last year at FT that feeling was even stronger. The positives - the spread eagle to the 2A was nice as were the spins.

Lam was ok. However she is quite slow on the ice and her basic skating laborious. Some of her jumps still very low and muscled.

Olsson was clean but that program has to go. It was flat. Her last year's SP was a lot better.

Suzuki was fab. The program is not 100% there yet but she is on the right track. The program fits her well. She and Lipnistkaia were in the class of their own.
    Thanks for your views. Always trust the person who was really there Lucky you...

Though you and Anna(who was also there) have different opinions on Mirai's program Anyways good luck to her and all today.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTheMusician View Post
    What a lovely program of Mirai! The speed compared to Finnish girls was great. Beautiful spins, coming to 2A... Gorgeus! Not sure if the combination was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Glad that I got the same impression as someone who was actually there... (Sadly)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Thanks for your views. Always trust the person who was really there Lucky you...

Though you and Anna(who was also there) have different opinions on Mirai's program Anyways good luck to her and all today.
    Mirai was surely better and faster than the Finnish girls but considering her past results and her talent I expect more from her than I do from the Finnish girls.

She is capable to commit the choreography http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTv2y7ypYMk but the program yesterday was a pale shadow of that Mirai.

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Artur Gachinski (RUS)

Music: Anna Karenina (soundtrack)

Black pants. Grey vest over grey shirt.

4T - stepout
    3A+2T
    3F - e
    3A
    FCSp
    StSq
    3Lz+2T
    3Lo
    3Lz
    2A+2A+SEQ
    CSSp
    ChSt
    CCoSp

Very solid skate. I think this program will be a good vehicle for him, it suits him.

Score: 74.14+71.42=145.56, 212.90 and in 1st

Medalist
    Thanks for the link to the excellent YLE livestream, I had no idea I'd be able to see this event. Actually, I didn't realize it was taking place until this morning (real life has kept me away from the computer since Thursday). Managed to catch up with the SPs just in time for the men's LP started. Great stuff, loved Gachinki's program just now.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Yay Artur!!! I hope that gives him some of his confidence back, after last season!

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Maciej CIEPLUCHA (POL)

Music: Ragtime (soundtrack)

Black pants. Black vest over white shirt.

4T - twofooted, fall
    3Lz+3T - hand down, no speed out
    3F - e
    CCoSp
    3Lo
    FSSp
    3Lz+2T+2Lo
    3S
    StSq - audience clappin along
    3Lo+2T
    ChSt
    2A - held on
    FCCoSp

He looks pleased. Some mistakes, but overall a solid performance

Score: 62.45+69.20-1.00=130.65, 197.51 in 2nd

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast