Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

bramweld

Record Breaker
I've watched the V/M FD several times now and to me though beautiful, it seems to lack either interesting content or the music is not rich enough to match them. It just doesn't seem dynamic enough. Though they are now more mature people it still feels like Mahler 2. They said it would show the seasons/changes in the male female dynamic but I don't see much of it. It seems almost one level. Where is the playfulness, passion, anger, contentment. It is supposed to be this but at this point I don't see it. I don't think the music is dynamic enough, albeit very beautiful. W/P and I/K though lesser skaters their programs seem to grab me more. I hope they add to it as the season progresses. Or maybe it will grow on me. But to be honest I was never a Mahler fan, I found it too over the top.

swurvestar

Rinkside
We do have some synchro fans, but they mostly become visible at Jr & Sr worlds. I didn't know the teams weren't allowed to post though.

Oh yes, thank you for putting a board on here for it. It was several years back that there used to be a very active forum for synchro, I think it was called synchro boards or something like that. I know it was the American teams that were told to no longer post, but that was a long time ago, not sure their rules now.

Anyway, to get back to this topic, was there anyone here who attended the competition that saw the synchro short programs at Finlandia that can give us a few impressions? Thanks

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We hope you all will post there! The mods like synchro, but we don't know a lot about it. However, IN has it on demand (and even live for Worlds last year!) and we watch it- I definitely want to find out more about what goes on in the world of synchro!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
We hope you all will post there! The mods like synchro, but we don't know a lot about it. However, IN has it on demand (and even live for Worlds last year!) and we watch it- I definitely want to find out more about what goes on in the world of synchro!

I agree. I watched some synchro clips on Youtube and it looked VERY cool--like Busby Berkeley on ice. It's a shame that the Olympics didn't consider that for a medal event, which I think would have made a lot more sense than this team competition thang. But YMMV of course.

SHORT DANCE & FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 167.87 Free Dance

2. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 143.06 Free Dance

I thought Virtue and Moir were excellent. Very fine lifts especially.

Chovk and Bates -- I knew I was going to hate vocal music. I got caught up with trying to follow the music and forgot that there was someone skating.

bestskate8

On the Ice
What a magical skate from Elizaveta, even mistakes on jumps didn't stop her from dancing through the music. In k@c she said, she got goose bumps when she did footwork, and Mishin said something to try to be calm, because she missed 2A. Her PCS should be higher then Julia's. Both Julia and Elizaveta deserve much higher PCS.

Hanyu was overscored in PCS for such sloppy and empty program. I watch him and Gachinsky back to back and what a difference in choreography and "refinery", beautiful program from Gachinsky and jumps are textbook. Nice to see Gachinsky back!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Lipsnitskaya has really come into her own. Very much enjoyed watching her. I wonder if she will lose her jumps in a season or two, though...still so young.

w_darling

On the Ice
I will give credit Tuk improved her ice coverage and she got a little thinner
but not that much, she looks thinner mostly because of her black tights and black dress

a little more weight loss wont hurt and will improve her jumps
hope she continues to lose more weight leading to the Olympics

Now that I've caught up on this Finlandia thread, I've really got to ask: what???

I mean, I've seen you acknowledge the obvious and widely recognized fact that Liza's main problem in competitions is her inability to skate clean SPs. Yet you also continue to insist that Liza has a "weight problem" which... is really baffling to me. Firstly, because she looks healthy to me; secondly, because having a "weight problem" would not explain her SP problem unless you think that somehow Liza's body is a medical anomaly and drastically fluctuates in weight in mere days for her to be capable of performing her jumps in a relatively clean FS shortly after. I also don't see how her body could look much different from last season because of her "black tights and black dress" considering the fact that she wore practically the same thing last season too... :unsure:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hate the Julia hate. She is much improved, trying to interpret the music, and her programs are tasteful and suit her so well!

This situation is NOT the same as Radionova, who has a sexy razzle dazzle program and glitzy flapper dress for her FS which is not tasteful or well-suited for a coltish 14 year old skater who can emote well to just about any piece of music. Radionova is so expressive and such a performer, she could skate to just about anything, but chooses music and costumes (in the FS at least, I liked the SP) that just make her look silly and even more like a little girl out there. It's a bad judgement call.

Lipnitskaya's programs and costumes this season are GOOD choices because they suit her lyrical style and serious/stoic mannerisms on the ice. Both programs are tasteful and age-appropriate, as are the costumes which I found appreciably simple as opposed to distracting like Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Radionova, etc. And Julia is growing up. She can't help if she's a small person and her jumps are proportionally smaller than the girls who are bigger and stronger than herself. Her packaging and carriage make her appear more mature on the ice anyways, and yeah I get she's little and rotates really quickly, but she actually is starting to look more grown up out there, she doesn't have that gangly puppy junior look like Radionova. And unlike Radionova, she's not trying to be flirty or sexy in her programs to make her seem more grown up, so really my hat is off to Julia. She's in great form, has made lots of improvements, has quality programs and looks on track to go to Sochi.

giulia95

Medalist
Is it mean that I just want to take a pair of scissors to Yuzuru Hanyu's Pooh bear? Its way past the stage of being cute...
:p

Instead of “violent act” against a lovely Pooh , wouldn’t it be easier to accept Yuzu’s very strong and unconventional personality?:)

Last year Canadians tried hard to change his look, his style, even his way of thinking but the result is they have to go back to the “old good” hotheaded teen Romeo....

There’s always time for homologation and conformism....:popcorn:

HR4

On the Ice
Liza's step sequence in LP is just PERFECT and the best moment for me from the whole competition.
Julia indeed improved a lot, and she looked disappointing as her PCS in LP is actually 0,01 lower than last year. I think she expected 60+. Is it that judges decide they over-scored her last year or did not noticed the progress. Or you think these are not comparable things across different judges panel?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I mean, I've seen you acknowledge the obvious and widely recognized fact that Liza's main problem in competitions is her inability to skate clean SPs. Yet you also continue to insist that Liza has a "weight problem" which... is really baffling to me. Firstly, because she looks healthy to me; secondly, because having a "weight problem" would not explain her SP problem unless you think that somehow Liza's body is a medical anomaly and drastically fluctuates in weight in mere days for her to be capable of performing her jumps in a relatively clean FS shortly after. I also don't see how her body could look much different from last season because of her "black tights and black dress" considering the fact that she wore practically the same thing last season too... :unsure:

Don't waste your time. This poster is utterly convinced that Liza is fat and that nothing short of becoming an anorexic skeleton will do; the same poster has been calling on Artur to retire for some time now, too.

marshan

Spectator
Hate the Julia hate.
But making "Rodionova hate" yourself)))
Yep, OK you do not like her imitating "adult woman". At the same time blaming her for being "too childish". What's she got left to skate to (not imitating mature lady and not looking like a kid)? National Anthem?))

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yep, OK you do not like her imitating "adult woman". At the same time blaming her for being "too childish". What's she got left to skate to (not imitating mature lady and not looking like a kid)? National Anthem?))

THis isn't directed at me, but I want to say that I also think Radionova is making a mistake with the LP. As I believe the poster you're criticizing said, Radionova is a born performer and can skate to/interpret anything (as she proved last year). I don't know why she'd try to do something that is (in my perhaps conservative view) too flirtatious and 'sexy' for someone her age.

She does look like a kid still in terms of her body, not necessarily in terms of her on ice carriage. However, I am very interested in whether she will keep her jumps when she fills out and no longer has legs like twigs (I don't mean it in a disparaging way, but it is true. She has the thinnest legs in skating and it's unlikely that she will be able to keep them as she grows). I hope her jumps will survive, but can't be sure. To a lesser extent I feel that way about Julia too but I've always said I think she has a Cohen body type and will continue to look similar. I feel even more sure of that now than I did, but of course, talk to me in a few years and I may be wrong.

In any case there's no need to disparage Julia or Elena. Both are amazing skaters.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

You said exactly what I want to say. :clap:

skatel80

On the Ice
I will give credit Tuk improved her ice coverage and she got a little thinner
but not that much, she looks thinner mostly because of her black tights and black dress

a little more weight loss wont hurt and will improve her jumps
hope she continues to lose more weight leading to the Olympics
I really wonder if some of your posts are for real sometimes, what is your preoccupation with Elizavetas weight? she is a perfectly healthy looking teenage girl, her jumps are just fine, her technique on them is beautiful! Im sad that you see the need to speak badly about so many skaters particularly their personal appearance. Normally I would just ignore these posts but what if one of the skaters reads your posts?
Anyway great performances from liza and Julia , I particularly liked Julias short program and think she has improved many areas of her skating, that 2a still makes me cringe though, I don't know how she lands it, the other jumps have more spring to them now though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
OMG w hat in the world is Yuruzu wearing deduction of a mark imho that was horrible. Miley Cyrus is missnig part of her dress and she wants it back - now!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
OMG w hat in the world is Yuruzu wearing deduction of a mark imho that was horrible. Miley Cyrus is missnig part of her dress and she wants it back - now!

:rolleye: hardly a dress, maybe you've mistaken it for your fanfare collection