Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Lipnitskaya's 2Axel has improved.

This is the first time in the past 4 seasons that Hanyu has missed a 3Axel in competition.

Mirai was underscored.
    I'm depressed by Mirai's scores in the SP. If the international judges don't give Mirai high PCS scores anymore, the U.S. judges at Nationals are going to give her even less.

That being said, Mirai looked lovely in the SP but this program is no Pirates of the Caribbean. It's so hugely disappointing for the Olympic season. There's no sparkle, no enchantment. And this music has been skated to before, it's like nothing new. Frankly I think it's boring. Mirai should have something fast and upbeat in the SP, something sassy. And I agree with those who say she doesn't emote. She is showing absolutely nothing in her facial expression. If the music is about longing or sadness I see nothing of that in Mirai's performance. She just looks like she's skating with music in the background. It breaks my heart because Mirai has been and still is my favorite skater since Sasha Cohen left the building. I keep thinking she needs much better choreo too but perhaps she can no longer afford a top notch choreographer. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Mirai was surely better and faster than the Finnish girls but considering her past results and her talent I expect more from her than I do from the Finnish girls.

She is capable to commit the choreography http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTv2y7ypYMk but the program yesterday was a pale shadow of that Mirai.
    Watching that magical SP at Worlds 2010 just makes me want to cry. That Mirai just doesn't exist anymore. I wish with all of my heart that she can prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Does anyone think there is any hope for Mirai's URs at this point? I want to have hope, but it is so hard.
    I want to have hope. There's still some time but if she keeps getting dinged then it's over for this Olympic season. She should have had those jumps by now. I don't know what she did all summer but I also feel that she's not in top condition either.

I'm in a million depressions for Mirai. Where would her scores have been if she had not been hit with URs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Hmm, I wasn't so much bored as frustrated. They've gone back to the ooey-gooey (surprise surprise), and after the stylistic chances they've taken the last few years, it was disappointing. I do, however, like almost all of the new lifts (though that one where Ms V looks like she is doing a backflip into a pool just never works for me).
    What you see as "ooey-gooey" I see as chemistry. But the lifts - IA! Wondering what these ice dance coaches are thinking with all these gymnastic moves in some of the new free dances: Tessa appearing to backflip into a swimming pool onto Scott’s shoulders; Meryl sprawled in an ungainly manner over Charlie’s back as he appears to be rescuing her from a burning house, and then there’s the lift in Chock and Bates' FD where she ends up straddling him in a sumo wrestler fashion (cringe).

I have to say that Julia Lipnitskaia was AWESOME. I loved both of her programs. That LP especially looked like an Olympic medal worthy skate to me!

I did love Mirai's LP skating dress. It's gorgeous! ♥

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    Is it mean that I just want to take a pair of scissors to Yuzuru Hanyu's Pooh bear? Its way past the stage of being cute...
    Pretty positive Yuzu's fans and Yuzuru will not let that happen! xD

Pooh is his lucky charm, and also doubles as his kleneex case holder

Custom Title
    Liza was seriously FIERCE, she really gets into these programs and sells them as hard as she can! I love it.

And Artur seemed so happy during the victory ceremony, so excited and bubbly (for him). I'm so glad. I really hope he's turned the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post

Watching that magical SP at Worlds 2010 just makes me want to cry. That Mirai just doesn't exist anymore. I wish with all of my heart that she can prove me wrong.
    Yes, if she could skate with that spirit again, I honestly wouldn't care one way or another about the URs or her placements. She could be dead last, every time, with every jump URed and she'd still be one of my favorite skaters and light up the rink for me. She's lost that spirit though, and it is really very tragic.

Custom Title
    Hey Mirai fans and Mirai - no expectations, great results will follow shortly! All needed are more genuine smiles - you are more charming, less serious than the 'winners'. Play and enjoy, you have nothing to lose and everything to win -- just smile!!!

Custom Title
    I'm glad I went to see this competition! I feel so exhausted that I'll write down more stuff later. Now the only thing I can say is Yuzuru!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Diva View Post
    What you see as "ooey-gooey" I see as chemistry. But the lifts - IA! Wondering what these ice dance coaches are thinking with all these gymnastic moves in some of the new free dances: Tessa appearing to backflip into a swimming pool onto Scott’s shoulders; Meryl sprawled in an ungainly manner over Charlie’s back as he appears to be rescuing her from a burning house, and then there’s the lift in Chock and Bates' FD where she ends up straddling him in a sumo wrestler fashion (cringe).
    Meant Hubbell & Donohoe not Chock & Bates for the sumo wrestling hold ...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Yes, if she could skate with that spirit again, I honestly wouldn't care one way or another about the URs or her placements. She could be dead last, every time, with every jump URed and she'd still be one of my favorite skaters and light up the rink for me. She's lost that spirit though, and it is really very tragic.
    I very much agree! I was there to see her skating and it really left me cold compared to what I've seen from her several years back. I heard Frank Carroll saying recently that she has had (/is having) some personal issues that she needs to solve. It was in TSL interview. I feel like she doesn't have the passion for skating anymore

Custom Title
    I've watched the V/M FD several times now and to me though beautiful, it seems to lack either interesting content or the music is not rich enough to match them. It just doesn't seem dynamic enough. Though they are now more mature people it still feels like Mahler 2. They said it would show the seasons/changes in the male female dynamic but I don't see much of it. It seems almost one level. Where is the playfulness, passion, anger, contentment. It is supposed to be this but at this point I don't see it. I don't think the music is dynamic enough, albeit very beautiful. W/P and I/K though lesser skaters their programs seem to grab me more. I hope they add to it as the season progresses. Or maybe it will grow on me. But to be honest I was never a Mahler fan, I found it too over the top.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    We do have some synchro fans, but they mostly become visible at Jr & Sr worlds. I didn't know the teams weren't allowed to post though.
    Oh yes, thank you for putting a board on here for it. It was several years back that there used to be a very active forum for synchro, I think it was called synchro boards or something like that. I know it was the American teams that were told to no longer post, but that was a long time ago, not sure their rules now.

Anyway, to get back to this topic, was there anyone here who attended the competition that saw the synchro short programs at Finlandia that can give us a few impressions? Thanks

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    We hope you all will post there! The mods like synchro, but we don't know a lot about it. However, IN has it on demand (and even live for Worlds last year!) and we watch it- I definitely want to find out more about what goes on in the world of synchro!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    We hope you all will post there! The mods like synchro, but we don't know a lot about it. However, IN has it on demand (and even live for Worlds last year!) and we watch it- I definitely want to find out more about what goes on in the world of synchro!
    I agree. I watched some synchro clips on Youtube and it looked VERY cool--like Busby Berkeley on ice. It's a shame that the Olympics didn't consider that for a medal event, which I think would have made a lot more sense than this team competition thang. But YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post

SHORT DANCE & FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 167.87 Free Dance

2. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 143.06 Free Dance
    I thought Virtue and Moir were excellent. Very fine lifts especially.

Chovk and Bates -- I knew I was going to hate vocal music. I got caught up with trying to follow the music and forgot that there was someone skating.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast