Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ISU Issues New Rule on interruptions to Programs

Custom Title
    Tennis may allow medical time out, but then it is still managing to have the fairness for both players. When a player takes a time out, his opponent is automatically having the same time out. So any 'rest' means rest for both. Whereas in skating when player has a time out in the middle of program, the whole field who did not have time out is disadvantaged.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Tennis may allow medical time out, but then it is still managing to have the fairness for both players. When a player takes a time out, his opponent is automatically having the same time out. So any 'rest' means rest for both. Whereas in skating when player has a time out in the middle of program, the whole field who did not have time out is disadvantaged.
    As I mentioned above, what also is at stake is the momentum of the match.
    Although both players have equal time to rest, the opponent might consider the forced rest to be detrimental. If the opponent is feeling a mental edge at the time of the stoppage, perhaps s/he will not be able to carry over that edge after the time-out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    As I mentioned above, what also is at stake is the momentum of the match.
    Although both players have equal time to rest, the opponent might consider the forced rest to be detrimental. If the opponent is feeling a mental edge at the time of the stoppage, perhaps s/he will not be able to carry over that edge after the time-out.
    Comparing tennis to figure skating is pointless. Tennis matches last for hours, so breaks are nowhere near as "detrimental" to opponents as programs that last 4 minutes with a 3-5 minute break (and catching one's breath) and allowing missed major point-getting elements to be repeated.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    As I indicated above, I was responding to Tonto's comment.
    Did not say that skating and tennis are apples and apples in every possible way.

In contrast with other sports, figure skaters are awarded points for things like:

"Unity – the purposeful threading of all movements.

"A program achieves unity when every step, movement, and element is motivated by the music. As well, all its parts, big or small, seem necessary to the whole, and there is an underlying vision or symbolic meaning that threads together the entire composition."

'Phrasing and Form -- movement and parts are structured to match the phrasing of the music.

"A phrase is a unit of movement marked by an impulse of energy that grows, builds, finds a conclusion, and then flows easily and naturally into the next movement phrase."

"Expression of the music’s style, character, and rhythm

"
Maintaining the character and style of the music throughout the entire program by use of body and skating techniques to depict a mood, style, shape, or thematic idea as motivated by the structure of the music."

When an interruption occurs, the skaters' claim to have satisfied these CoP bullets is compromised. This should be reflected in the scores. If you don't like the word "penalty," just think of it as points left on the table by not achieving the full measure of unity, of flow from one phrase to another, and of maintaining the character of the music seamlessly throughout.
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.

I personally agree with the change and do think a stop should be penalized severely. I might draw some distinction between issues out of skater's control (meaning, totally separate from skaters- i.e. lights go out, music stops as mentioned somewhere else here) but I think by and large, stopping should be penalized severely. I do see as a potential problem that severely injured athletes might try to push on and hurt themselves, but as adults, that is their choice/bad judgment. I think V/M should have been punished much more for their stop than they were (and they were not at all) and at the very least should not have been allowed to repeat the element that they missed. I think this rule is more fair than no penalty at all, and unlike some people I think 5 points is about right. It is a major disruption and should be treated as such.

I can understand what you think, but, as a skater, I would feel very bad if this happened to me and I just think that it is unfair that if I have a cramp that can be solved in 2/3 minutes, I stop, re-start, skate a good program and still receive a 5-points penalty... Something like 2 points should be fair, for me. Maybe I don't have any technical/logical reason for why this shouldn't be done, but I think that I would feel this penalization as unfair because the cramp wasn't my fault and it wasn't predictable :( Just this, as a skater

Custom Title
    You can't afford to stop and rest at a skating test, why should you be allowed to do so at a major international competition? Is the test more important that Worlds?

Custom Title
    The problem is the referee cannot tell whether a skater is really having a cramp, or missed an element due to a loss of concentration, or just wants a rest period because she/he hasn't been training as much as required.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    As I indicated above, I was responding to Tonto's comment.
    Did not say that skating and tennis are apples and apples in every possible way.
    Thank you, and someone did prove me wrong...

Although... when a tennis player takes a medical time-out, they aren't give a replay of the last point.

As a tennis fan, I can say with fair certainty that too many "calls for the trainer" are a result of poor conditioning... or they are tactical moves to halt the opponent's momentum, or they seem to be.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The problem is the referee cannot tell whether a skater is really having a cramp, or missed an element due to a loss of concentration, or just wants a rest period because she/he hasn't been training as much as required.
    Precisely.

Tripping on the Podium
    5 points (instead of 2 or 3 points) deduction is the ISU's way of saying it loud and clear, that if they can help it, they don't want a virtue-moir rest at the Olympic stage, and worse, with the resting team winning.

Because one more ambiguous winning might be all it takes to kick figure skating, or just ice dance for now, out of the Olympics. I say if you want figure skating staying as a sport, suck it up. There are enough people making fun of it as a sport already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2