Shen Xue is now a mother! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shen Xue is now a mother!

what does Nessum Dorma mean? google translate tell me it is " nobody is sleeping tonight"?

I think it's closer to "Let no one sleep" (in the subjunctive sense) or "None shall sleep." (The latter is very apt-sounding wording from a Wiki article.) The Princess Turandot has just until dawn to guess the name of the hero, Calaf. If she wins, he dies. If she doesn't guess, she has to marry him. So everyone's awake in Peking, or Beijing, for one reason or another, what with the Imperial courtiers seeking Calaf's name, and Turandot hoping to guess the name, and Calaf courting Turandot, among other intrigues. It's really a glorious opera, with some music that is outright rapturous.

By the way, I doubt that Shen and Zhao are enacting the roles of Turandot and Calaf in their skate. Turandot is cold as ice through much of the opera (or one might say as cold as Carmen), warming only at the end to Calaf. She's ready to have Calaf put to death. Shen and Zhao's interpretation glows with their feelings for each other from beginning to end. I'm much happier seeing their take on it, especially considering the emotional intensity of 2003 Worlds, when we were watching with such hope that she would overcome her injuries. I think that as well as Zhao, half the audience was also in love with Shen.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Awesome. I have a soft spot for these guys, and I've been watching for this news. Best wishes to all of them.

quikrush

Rinkside
Oh a baby girl...such great news.
S/Z has been my favourite pairs teams for the last decade and I truly wish the best for them.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The baby "issues" a statement!

:biggrin:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-09-04/03116759790.shtml
“Hi,大家好,我是小小雪。” ...

“我是小小雪,2013年9月3日早上 五点五分,一个完美的抛跳,我平稳地落在了妈妈温暖的怀抱里。” ...

“奶奶激动地夜里就起来给大家做饭,姥爷到处给大家发糖,姥姥笑 眯眯地一直和我聊天。” ...

“只有我爸爸,到现在都紧张地不敢抱我一下,哼~冠军的心理素质到哪儿去啦?我今天很开心!我的妈妈很 伟大!我爱我妈妈!” ...

Rough translation:
"Hi everyone, I am Little Snow."

"On September 3, 2013 at 5:05 in the morning, I performed a perfect throw jump into my mom's warm embrace."

"Grandma was so excited that she got up during the night to cook for everyone, Grandpa gave candy out to everyone. Grandma smiled and laughed while chatting with me."

"But my dad was too nervous to hold me. Hmph! Where did his champion mindset go? Today, I am very happy! My mom was great! I love my mom!"

:laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
I think it's closer to "Let no one sleep" (in the subjunctive sense) or "None shall sleep." (The latter is very apt-sounding wording from a Wiki article.) The Princess Turandot has just until dawn to guess the name of the hero, Calaf. If she wins, he dies. If she doesn't guess, she has to marry him. So everyone's awake in Peking, or Beijing, for one reason or another, what with the Imperial courtiers seeking Calaf's name, and Turandot hoping to guess the name, and Calaf courting Turandot, among other intrigues. It's really a glorious opera, with some music that is outright rapturous.

By the way, I doubt that Shen and Zhao are enacting the roles of Turandot and Calaf in their skate. Turandot is cold as ice through much of the opera (or one might say as cold as Carmen), warming only at the end to Calaf. She's ready to have Calaf put to death. Shen and Zhao's interpretation glows with their feelings for each other from beginning to end. I'm much happier seeing their take on it, especially considering the emotional intensity of 2003 Worlds, when we were watching with such hope that she would overcome her injuries. I think that as well as Zhao, half the audience was also in love with Shen.

Your posts are a gem.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Congratulations to the happy parents! The statement from the baby is just too cute.

Finnstep

Final Flight

"On September 3, 2013 at 5:05 in the morning, I performed a perfect throw jump into my mom's warm embrace."

"Grandma was so excited that she got up during the night to cook for everyone, Grandpa gave candy out to everyone. Grandma smiled and laughed while chatting with me."

"But my dad was too nervous to hold me. Hmph! Where did his champion mindset go? Today, I am very happy! My mom was great! I love my mom!"

So cute! :love:

That wins the World Championship of birth announcements!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The announcement was actually from Little Little Snow. :) Her Mom Xue is called Little Snow (by her Dad as well), thus no indication of the baby's given name. I wonder if "Little Little Snow" will stick.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Nessun Dorma is also an aria from "Turandot", which many skaters have performed to. Shen/Zhao won excellently and very convincingly with it at the 2003 World Championships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kql3sf_crA

It is now considered one of their signature pieces.

Thank you for all this thorough info.:thumbsup:

deedee1

Record Breaker
:

Thank you so much, aftertherain! ^)/ Li'l Li'l Snow's words are soooo cute, priceless! :)
Wishing the baby girl and her parents every happiness!!! :yay:

Now it's Pang/Tong's turn for having 'a baby boy' in order to team up the second generation of China's great pair skating! We can expect such a wonderful news in the very near future, can't we? ;)

BlackPack

Medalist
I read up more on the Turandot character. She is even worse than Carmen! Merciless, cold-blooded killer.

In contrast S&Z's love and warmth for each other was always palpable.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Not sure about an official name, but a poster in another forum posted these links (in Chinese):
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-25/02116740183.shtml
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-23/14196738246.shtml

I was able to decipher, in my very limited Chinese knowledge and with the (big) help of Google translate, the author writes that Yao Bin--who has been promoted to "grandpa"--recommended a name: "赵佳雪" (Zhao Jia Xue) -- 赵 is Hongbo's last name, 佳 means good or beautiful, and 雪 means snow and is also Shen Xue's first name. So literally, it would mean something like "Beautiful Snow" Zhao. So it is, in a way, a combination of Hongbo and Xue.

(No idea if they named their daughter that though.)

I think Xue also said something about playing figure skating(?) music for her daughter when Xue was pregnant, and that the baby reacted to the music when she was in Xue's belly. They also express a wish for their daughter to be involved in skating, but that it will ultimately be her decision whether or not she wants to go down that road--first and foremost, they just want her to grow up happy and healthy.

(Can someone translate these articles way better? :))

I think that would be a clever an beautiful name! good for Grandpa Yao. Congrats to Shen and Zhao,they deserve all the happiness in the world!!!

lcd

Match Penalty
Congratulations to them. Such a long time for this child of love to come. Welcome to the world!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh a baby girl...such great news.
S/Z has been my favourite pairs teams for the last decade and I truly wish the best for them.

I second your message. They have been the most elegant skaters in skating and how they conducted themselves. Love them and now the baby!!! Can't wait to see a picture.