Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shen Xue is now a mother!

A daughter! SO EXCITING! Congrats to the happy family!

News China's figure-skating couple have baby daughter (English)

English article by ChinaDaily:
    China's figure-skating couple have baby daughter
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/...t_16941445.htm
    China's Olympic and world-champion figure-skating couple, Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, welcomed their baby girl on Sept 3, as Shen, 34, announced on her Sina Weibo micro blog that she gave birth to the baby at 5:05 am that day.

After performing together for 20 years, Shen and Zhao, multiple world and Olympic champions, decided last year to take a break from their busy careers to extend their family.

Zhao, 40, is now the head coach of China's figure skating pairs team. He will lead the team to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Shen and Zhao claimed the gold medal at the Vancouver Winter Olympics four years ago.
    Wow! Hongbo is now the head coach of the pairs' teams? Congrats to them for their continued successes and joys!

Custom Title
    Re the name Zhao Jia Xue, Jia has the same pronunciation as "plus" so Zhao Jia Xue also sounds the same as Zhao plus Xue.

Congratulations to the new parents! May their daughter be a greater prize than the OGM.

The baby's Western name will be Nessum Dorma.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    what does Nessum Dorma mean? google translate tell me it is " nobody is sleeping tonight"?

Quote Originally Posted by yyyskate View Post
    what does Nessum Dorma mean? google translate tell me it is " nobody is sleeping tonight"?
    Nessun Dorma is also an aria from "Turandot", which many skaters have performed to. Shen/Zhao won excellently and very convincingly with it at the 2003 World Championships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kql3sf_crA

It is now considered one of their signature pieces.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yyyskate View Post
    I think it's closer to "Let no one sleep" (in the subjunctive sense) or "None shall sleep." (The latter is very apt-sounding wording from a Wiki article.) The Princess Turandot has just until dawn to guess the name of the hero, Calaf. If she wins, he dies. If she doesn't guess, she has to marry him. So everyone's awake in Peking, or Beijing, for one reason or another, what with the Imperial courtiers seeking Calaf's name, and Turandot hoping to guess the name, and Calaf courting Turandot, among other intrigues. It's really a glorious opera, with some music that is outright rapturous.

By the way, I doubt that Shen and Zhao are enacting the roles of Turandot and Calaf in their skate. Turandot is cold as ice through much of the opera (or one might say as cold as Carmen), warming only at the end to Calaf. She's ready to have Calaf put to death. Shen and Zhao's interpretation glows with their feelings for each other from beginning to end. I'm much happier seeing their take on it, especially considering the emotional intensity of 2003 Worlds, when we were watching with such hope that she would overcome her injuries. I think that as well as Zhao, half the audience was also in love with Shen.

Awesome. I have a soft spot for these guys, and I've been watching for this news. Best wishes to all of them.

Tripping on the Podium
    Oh a baby girl...such great news.
    S/Z has been my favourite pairs teams for the last decade and I truly wish the best for them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    That should be a good fit considering the "little little Snow" was born at 5:05 am

so happy for Shen/Zhao!

Exclamation The baby "issues" a statement!

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-09-...16759790.shtml
    “Hi,大家好,我是小小雪。” ...

“我是小小雪,2013年9月3日早上 五点五分,一个完美的抛跳,我平稳地落在了妈妈温暖的怀抱里。” ...

“奶奶激动地夜里就起来给大家做饭,姥爷到处给大家发糖,姥姥笑 眯眯地一直和我聊天。” ...

“只有我爸爸,到现在都紧张地不敢抱我一下,哼~冠军的心理素质到哪儿去啦?我今天很开心!我的 妈妈很 伟大!我爱我妈妈!” ...
    Rough translation:
    "Hi everyone, I am Little Snow."

"On September 3, 2013 at 5:05 in the morning, I performed a perfect throw jump into my mom's warm embrace."

"Grandma was so excited that she got up during the night to cook for everyone, Grandpa gave candy out to everyone. Grandma smiled and laughed while chatting with me."

"But my dad was too nervous to hold me. Hmph! Where did his champion mindset go? Today, I am very happy! My mom was great! I love my mom!"

Wonderful news all around! Such a special couple...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think it's closer to "Let no one sleep" (in the subjunctive sense) or "None shall sleep." (The latter is very apt-sounding wording from a Wiki article.) The Princess Turandot has just until dawn to guess the name of the hero, Calaf. If she wins, he dies. If she doesn't guess, she has to marry him. So everyone's awake in Peking, or Beijing, for one reason or another, what with the Imperial courtiers seeking Calaf's name, and Turandot hoping to guess the name, and Calaf courting Turandot, among other intrigues. It's really a glorious opera, with some music that is outright rapturous.

By the way, I doubt that Shen and Zhao are enacting the roles of Turandot and Calaf in their skate. Turandot is cold as ice through much of the opera (or one might say as cold as Carmen), warming only at the end to Calaf. She's ready to have Calaf put to death. Shen and Zhao's interpretation glows with their feelings for each other from beginning to end. I'm much happier seeing their take on it, especially considering the emotional intensity of 2003 Worlds, when we were watching with such hope that she would overcome her injuries. I think that as well as Zhao, half the audience was also in love with Shen.
    Your posts are a gem.

baby Jia Xue's announcement!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Congratulations to the happy parents! The statement from the baby is just too cute.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast