Keyshawn Johnson, former NFL wide receiver, with Sharna Burgess
Corbin Bleu (High School Musical), with Karina Smirnoff
Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi (Jersey Shore), with former troupe member Sasha Farber
Christina Milian, singer/actor, with Mark Ballas
Elizabeth Berkley (Showgirls), with Val Chmerkovskiy
Amber Riley (Glee), with Derek Hough
Leah Remini (King of Queens), with Tony Dovolani

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/04/dancing-with-the-stars-season-17-cast/

I'm excited about Bill Nye the Science Guy! I really admire him. I suspect that Corbin Bleu will do well, because those High School Musical kids had to dance, didn't they? Nobody else stands out as having potential. I guess this is going to be another one of those seasons where the football player gets all the votes.

heyang

Record Breaker
While Amber Riley isn't the best dancer on Glee, she has at least some experience with learning choreography.

Just realized I left off Valerie Harper with Tristan MacManus. She has past experience learning choreo on Broadway.

Elizabeth Berkley trained as a dancer and later turned to acting. She hosted a reality dance competition on Bravo according to her wiki. So, I think she'll likely do really well, as will Corbin Bleu.

heyang

Record Breaker
Forgot to mention that Anna T. is pregnant with her 1st child, which is why she's not appearing this season.

oh, how great! She and her partner seem like such nice people, and they got married within the last few years.

Johar

Medalist
She is currently divorced from her hubby/former patner. I miss Anna. She wasn't on last year, either. Come back Maks and Anna!

Ok, actress Tara Reid has wanted on the show for years but they have rejected everytime saying she wasn't "family-friendly." They even went as far as to ask her to stop trying. BUT, they let Snookie on? This is so damn wrong and double-standard! Is it because Snookie is now a mom and Tara Reid isn't? Makes my blood boil. And i am not a fan of either, to be honest.

Anna T. is divorced? Oh, too bad. I liked them as a couple.

I didn't know that about Tara Reid. Who knows how they make those decisions....

Thanks for the info, Heyang.

I wish Edita Sliwinska would come back to the show. I always enjoyed her. It's nice to have new people, too, of course. Does anyone know whether any of the current crop of newbies comes from SYTYCD, the way Dmitri Chaplin, Lacey Schwimmer, and Chelsie Hightower did? I know that the website says that the new dancers were from the DWTS ensemble, but did any of them start out on So You Think You Can Dance?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder why Chelsie Hightower is not coming back. Don't tell me she's "aged" out already ! She is one of my favorites so I am disappointed. Seems like the pros are a revolving door.

heyang

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info, Heyang.

I wish Edita Sliwinska would come back to the show. I always enjoyed her. It's nice to have new people, too, of course. Does anyone know whether any of the current crop of newbies comes from SYTYCD, the way Dmitri Chaplin, Lacey Schwimmer, and Chelsie Hightower did? I know that the website says that the new dancers were from the DWTS ensemble, but did any of them start out on So You Think You Can Dance?

I think Edyta 'quit' DWTS to go to college and because she wanted to spend more time with her husband Alex Mazzo.

I don't recognize any of the pro celebrities as former SYTYCD competitors.... although Witney Carson from SYTYCD was in the group #'s last season and Lyndsay was a former SYTYCD dance contestant who was eliminated the week before Witney was eliminated.

I think that some of the pros decide they want to do other things - like choreograph for other pros and shows and amateurs and aren't able to commit the studio time to DWTS. Being on DWTS allows them to launch a career in choreography as their work is out there every week during competiton, etc.

I follow Benji Schwimmer from SYTYCD 2 on facebook and he's busy competing and doing choreo, which is why we don't seem him as an all-star on SYTYCD.

I love Benji! I am glad to hear that he's active in dance. Talk about charisma. I think one thing that makes it tough for him to be a DWTS pro partner is his size. He could dance with only the most petite of the celebrities--well, if they ever get one of the other gymnasts, he'd be perfect. Someday I'd love to see him show up just for a season, and then he could go back to his other work. Wouldn't it be great, for example, to see him and Gabby Douglas competing as a couple?

heyang

Record Breaker
Here's what Amber Riley of Glee has to say about her experience so far...

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20732605,00.html

Though the powerhouse singer is a pro when it comes to performing, being part of a duo instead of an ensemble is something she'll have to warm up to.

"I'm used to having 11 other people around me camouflaging my bad dancing," she jokes. "Now it's me and Derek."

heyang

Record Breaker
Last year, Travis Wall and 3 friends (including SYTYCD season 1 winner Nick Lazzarrini) had a reality show on Oxygen that documented them trying to form a dance company. Other SYTYCD dance contestants also appeared - i.e Melanie Moore, Jamie.... It was pretty interesting. Also, one of the guys was trying to submit choreography for a group # on DWTS, as an example of how competitive the field is and how DWTS can be a 'launchpad' for those aspiring to choreograph.

Last year, Travis Wall and 3 friends (including SYTYCD season 1 winner Nick Lazzarrini) had a reality show on Oxygen that documented them trying to form a dance company. Other SYTYCD dance contestants also appeared - i.e Melanie Moore, Jamie.... It was pretty interesting. Also, one of the guys was trying to submit choreography for a group # on DWTS, as an example of how competitive the field is and how DWTS can be a 'launchpad' for those aspiring to choreograph.

Oh, man! I don't get Oxygen, and this show sounds grand. I get all manner of networks with football and golf and wrestling, and I miss out on Travis and Nick (loved Nick and Melody that first season) dancing. Rats!

As I was thinking of DWTS, I went on YouTube a few weeks ago and found some of the dance numbers from the TV show Fame. Because it lasted several years, the producers were able to explore dancing more extensively than they had in the original movie. They had the good fortune to have Debbie Allen (who had a much more prominent role in the TV show than she had in the film) and also the prodigiously talented Gene Anthony Ray. He was a bit like Chris Bowman, with more talent than he could handle and no capacity at all for everyday life. Dancing of more classical and Broadway styles was eclipsed among young people for a long time in favor of hip hop. It's so nice to see it back in the spotlight.

Some selections from Fame:

In the first one, the bureaucrats in the NYC education system mandated that the kids in the performing arts high school had to take phys. ed. classes. The dance teacher (Debbie Allen) proved that they were in better condition than the football jocks (seen at the left of the screen). I couldn't believe my luck in finding this after half-remembering it for several decades. If you aren't familiar with Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy), you'll figure out who he is within about three seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aCAMRjuBM

The number below is obviously based on Appalachian Spring, but with pop music. I vaguely remember that the guy who appears briefly at the beginning, manning the music player, is Russ Tamblyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrumtcaZ1Y

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I think Edyta 'quit' DWTS to go to college and because she wanted to spend more time with her husband Alex Mazzo.

Actually, she quit in a snit because of how the show "handled" her husband, Alec Mazo. He was probably the worst pro ever on the show, and only was brought back again and again because of Edyta. Finally, the producers gave up on him (wisely), and she felt he'd been treated unfairly. Honestly, I don't miss her in the least.

heyang

Record Breaker
Oh, man! I don't get Oxygen, and this show sounds grand. I get all manner of networks with football and golf and wrestling, and I miss out on Travis and Nick (loved Nick and Melody that first season) dancing. Rats!

As I was thinking of DWTS, I went on YouTube a few weeks ago and found some of the dance numbers from the TV show Fame. Because it lasted several years, the producers were able to explore dancing more extensively than they had in the original movie. They had the good fortune to have Debbie Allen (who had a much more prominent role in the TV show than she had in the film) and also the prodigiously talented Gene Anthony Ray. He was a bit like Chris Bowman, with more talent than he could handle and no capacity at all for everyday life. Dancing of more classical and Broadway styles was eclipsed among young people for a long time in favor of hip hop. It's so nice to see it back in the spotlight.

Some selections from Fame:

In the first one, the bureaucrats in the NYC education system mandated that the kids in the performing arts high school had to take phys. ed. classes. The dance teacher (Debbie Allen) proved that they were in better condition than the football jocks (seen at the left of the screen). I couldn't believe my luck in finding this after half-remembering it for several decades. If you aren't familiar with Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy), you'll figure out who he is within about three seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aCAMRjuBM

The number below is obviously based on Appalachian Spring, but with pop music. I vaguely remember that the guy who appears briefly at the beginning, manning the music player, is Russ Tamblyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrumtcaZ1Y

LInk to All the Right Moves.

http://all-the-right-moves.oxygen.com/#fbid=PbM4wKdRWDo

Also, one of the guys was dating one of the other former SYTYCD contestants (she was winner Russell's original partner during top 20) and she and one of the other guys flirted. Can't remember if she was dating Teddy or Kyle.