Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DWTS cast

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Last year, Travis Wall and 3 friends (including SYTYCD season 1 winner Nick Lazzarrini) had a reality show on Oxygen that documented them trying to form a dance company. Other SYTYCD dance contestants also appeared - i.e Melanie Moore, Jamie.... It was pretty interesting. Also, one of the guys was trying to submit choreography for a group # on DWTS, as an example of how competitive the field is and how DWTS can be a 'launchpad' for those aspiring to choreograph.
    Oh, man! I don't get Oxygen, and this show sounds grand. I get all manner of networks with football and golf and wrestling, and I miss out on Travis and Nick (loved Nick and Melody that first season) dancing. Rats!

As I was thinking of DWTS, I went on YouTube a few weeks ago and found some of the dance numbers from the TV show Fame. Because it lasted several years, the producers were able to explore dancing more extensively than they had in the original movie. They had the good fortune to have Debbie Allen (who had a much more prominent role in the TV show than she had in the film) and also the prodigiously talented Gene Anthony Ray. He was a bit like Chris Bowman, with more talent than he could handle and no capacity at all for everyday life. Dancing of more classical and Broadway styles was eclipsed among young people for a long time in favor of hip hop. It's so nice to see it back in the spotlight.

Some selections from Fame:

In the first one, the bureaucrats in the NYC education system mandated that the kids in the performing arts high school had to take phys. ed. classes. The dance teacher (Debbie Allen) proved that they were in better condition than the football jocks (seen at the left of the screen). I couldn't believe my luck in finding this after half-remembering it for several decades. If you aren't familiar with Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy), you'll figure out who he is within about three seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aCAMRjuBM

The number below is obviously based on Appalachian Spring, but with pop music. I vaguely remember that the guy who appears briefly at the beginning, manning the music player, is Russ Tamblyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrumtcaZ1Y

I wish Ivan Koumaev from SYTYCD would come on as a pro for DWTS.

Just an average girl
    I think Edyta 'quit' DWTS to go to college and because she wanted to spend more time with her husband Alex Mazzo.
    Actually, she quit in a snit because of how the show "handled" her husband, Alec Mazo. He was probably the worst pro ever on the show, and only was brought back again and again because of Edyta. Finally, the producers gave up on him (wisely), and she felt he'd been treated unfairly. Honestly, I don't miss her in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

Oh, man! I don't get Oxygen, and this show sounds grand. I get all manner of networks with football and golf and wrestling, and I miss out on Travis and Nick (loved Nick and Melody that first season) dancing. Rats!

As I was thinking of DWTS, I went on YouTube a few weeks ago and found some of the dance numbers from the TV show Fame. Because it lasted several years, the producers were able to explore dancing more extensively than they had in the original movie. They had the good fortune to have Debbie Allen (who had a much more prominent role in the TV show than she had in the film) and also the prodigiously talented Gene Anthony Ray. He was a bit like Chris Bowman, with more talent than he could handle and no capacity at all for everyday life. Dancing of more classical and Broadway styles was eclipsed among young people for a long time in favor of hip hop. It's so nice to see it back in the spotlight.

Some selections from Fame:

In the first one, the bureaucrats in the NYC education system mandated that the kids in the performing arts high school had to take phys. ed. classes. The dance teacher (Debbie Allen) proved that they were in better condition than the football jocks (seen at the left of the screen). I couldn't believe my luck in finding this after half-remembering it for several decades. If you aren't familiar with Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy), you'll figure out who he is within about three seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aCAMRjuBM

The number below is obviously based on Appalachian Spring, but with pop music. I vaguely remember that the guy who appears briefly at the beginning, manning the music player, is Russ Tamblyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrumtcaZ1Y

LInk to All the Right Moves.

http://all-the-right-moves.oxygen.com/#fbid=PbM4wKdRWDo

Also, one of the guys was dating one of the other former SYTYCD contestants (she was winner Russell's original partner during top 20) and she and one of the other guys flirted. Can't remember if she was dating Teddy or Kyle.

Custom Title
    LInk to All the Right Moves.

http://all-the-right-moves.oxygen.com/#fbid=PbM4wKdRWDo

Also, one of the guys was dating one of the other former SYTYCD contestants (she was winner Russell's original partner during top 20) and she and one of the other guys flirted. Can't remember if she was dating Teddy or Kyle.
    Thanks, Heyang!

If you get Ovation, they often have reruns of past seasons of So You THink You can Dance.

They also had a 'reality' show where Nigel Lythgoe challenged the ballet boys to create a dance troupe in 30 days. SYTYCD season 2's Allyson Holker was host/assistant. It was much more of a behind the scene's look at how a dance company works as compared to All The Right Moves.

Ovation also airs reruns of Smash.

http://www.ovationtv.com/

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Come back Maks and Anna!
    Maks always made the show so enjoyable for me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    I wish Ivan Koumaev from SYTYCD would come on as a pro for DWTS.
    but he's a hip hop dancer. While he definitely grew a lot as a dancer during SYTYCD and had a some outstanding performances with Allyson Holker, he was far from a professional caliber for DWTS...

but he's a hip hop dancer. While he definitely grew a lot as a dancer during SYTYCD and had a some outstanding performances with Allyson Holker, he was far from a professional caliber for DWTS...
    yeah he has to be able to teach correct technique. it'd be a disadvantage to partner with him.

Just watched the opening # and noticed that DWTS 'copied' SYTYCD by having the cast and judges participate in the opening #. It's definitely a fun way to open the season.

I noticed that both Witney and Lindsay were both in the DTWS crew - they were on the same season of SYTYCD an Lindsay was one of last year's DWTS pro's.

Enjoyed how proud Sharen and Ozzy were of their son Jack's performance. So far, the 'stars' don't seem to have two -left feet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    yeah he has to be able to teach correct technique. it'd be a disadvantage to partner with him.
    I would imagine that the only dancers DWTS hires from SYTYCD are the ones who trained as ballroom dancers. They not only have to teach correct technique, but it's my understanding that they have to do the choreography, too. They need a lifetime of training, practice, and competing in actual ballroom competitions, which have a vocabulary and procedure all their own.

The show so far: Corbin Bleu is splendid! But Bill Nye the Science Guy is just so charming: I hope he stays for at least a few weeks. His popularity with the voting audience might just carry him through.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

The show so far: Corbin Bleu is splendid! But Bill Nye the Science Guy is just so charming: I hope he stays for at least a few weeks. His popularity with the voting audience might just carry him through.
    After the initial announcement, a poll was taken. Results showed that people were the most excited by the participation of Bill Nye.

BTW, I thought Amber Riley was fabulous. She's never danced like that on Glee.

I loved Bill Nye growing up, he made science fun and accessible.

That being said his outright hatred of people who dare to believe in religion is saddening. He makes the same mistake a lot on the other side of the great divide makes in making hurtful absolutes. I don't like having a childhood hero consider me stupid for daring to take a different understanding to the world. But that's just me.

I love Bill Engvall and hope he does well!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    BTW, I thought Amber Riley was fabulous. She's never danced like that on Glee.
    I totally agree!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast