Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DWTS cast

All but a couple of the contestants were really good for the first show. I think this is one of the strongest casts they've ever had. Quite of few of the celebs obviously have previous dance experience (which decreases the charm factor a tad, but oh well.)

Custom Title
    I'm amazed at how much I enjoyed tonight! I don't have any faves yet but I'd like the comedian to stick around for a bit and see how far he can improve. Bill Nye was fun too. Who knew Amber could move like that?
    Wow, great start!

I was surprised that Keshon Johnson didn't do as well. I do think it's related to nerves and that if he doesn't get eliminated that he'll likely find his competitive spirit.

Valerie Harper brought tears to my eyes. It's good to hear that she's in remission and that she's an inspiration to live life as fully as possible. You could also see that she has prior dance experience.

Bill Engvall was also surprise - he did much better than I thought he would.

Somehow I missed Leah Remini.

I was also surprised that Elizabeth Berkley was only scored with 8's while Amber Riley got 9's. I thought they should've scored equally.

Custom Title
    IMO the scores were ridiculously high, 9s for Amber, really?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I was surprised that Keshon Johnson didn't do as well. I do think it's related to nerves and that if he doesn't get eliminated that he'll likely find his competitive spirit.
    I don't think it was just nerves. The way he plunks his feet down flat makes me think that he doesn't get it. It'll be a crying shame if the football vote pushes him through to the finals if this is the way he dances. Emmit Smith had "spring" in his steps from the first dance.

I also think that 9's were high for Amber, but fortunately the scores from week to week aren't cumulative.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    but he's a hip hop dancer. While he definitely grew a lot as a dancer during SYTYCD and had a some outstanding performances with Allyson Holker, he was far from a professional caliber for DWTS...
    Maybe if they do hip hop as one of the 'special" dances like they did last year he could teach them. Oh, I can always fantasize!

Some of the scores were downright silly but at least they aren't pretending that the "stars?" have no dance experience. That's been a turn off for me. Who do you think is going home?

Custom Title
    I hope Bill Nye stays for at least one more week, preferably more. Maybe his fans will vote him through. I love the way he presented his dancer with the little gift and then said professorially, "Is this a beaker or a flask?" We need him to stick around and teach us stuff!

Custom Title
    This is the first time I've had no idea who will be the first to go. Wild stab - Leah Remini or the football player.

Custom Title
    I fear that the football player will be voted through by fans, because he's such a well-known player (and very good on the football field, though not here). But I'm as bewildered as you are, Scrufflet. Really, could be any of a few dancers.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I don't think it was just nerves. The way he plunks his feet down flat makes me think that he doesn't get it. It'll be a crying shame if the football vote pushes him through to the finals if this is the way he dances. Emmit Smith had "spring" in his steps from the first dance.

I also think that 9's were high for Amber, but fortunately the scores from week to week aren't cumulative.
    Only Kristi Yamaguchi received 9's in the first week until now.

Custom Title
    Yippee! Derek won an Emmy for choreography.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I was hoping that Travis Wall would win. I love Travis' choreography. I am not a happy camper.

Custom Title
    I also admire Travis. He's already won an Emmy, I believe--or at least he's been nominated. He'll have the chance for many more, I'm sure. This guy is in it for the long haul. But I'm thrilled about Derek. I love his choreography on DWTS.

For now, concentrate on the big picture: there's an Emmy for choreography, and they showed it on the main Emmy night! Look at how dance has become mainstream these days. And most of it is due to two shows. This is a huge step forward, and it can only mean that more great dancers and choreographers will get a chance to shine in the foreseeable future.

Custom Title
    Derek Hough is the only really stand out choreographer on DWTS. And he mainly does choreo for non-dancers on the show. Travis and the other notable choreographers were all from SYTYCD, and work with accomplished dancers in one area or another. It's a different standard. I am sure that in the future some or all of those nominated this year will win at least one Emmy in this category in the future.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast