Courtney Hicks GP season?! | Golden Skate

Courtney Hicks GP season?!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I am VERY surprised that, after her stellar performance at Glacier Falls, she hasn't received any JGP/GP assignement... She isn't even in the alternates list for the JGP events! :confused: She has the U.S. Classics Senior B, yes, but I thought that (if they wanted to put her among the 3rd Olympic spot contenders), they were going to give her an assignement for some of the important events...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am VERY surprised that, after her stellar performance at Glacier Falls, she hasn't received any JGP/GP assignement... She isn't even in the alternates list for the JGP events! :confused: She has the U.S. Classics Senior B, yes, but I thought that (if they wanted to put her among the 3rd Olympic spot contenders), they were going to give her an assignement for some of the important events...

Remember that Max Aaron did not get any GP events either (he got two Senior B's instead) last season....and look where he ended up.

Sure a great splash on the GP helps, but if she brings it at Nationals, USFSA won't ignore her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not too worried; exactly as Mrs. P says besides there are so many contenders and pretenders in the US ladies battle to reclaim their dominance.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still don't quite get how someone like Cesario who has aged out of Juniors and has never even gone to the JGPF or won anything of note has 2 assignments while Hicks has none even though she easily beat Cesario at Nationals. As for Junior Worlds it wasn't like Cesario decisively beat her. She beat her by less then two points.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Shes too boring all she can do is jump... watch her and the watch kostner u know what i mean, she just dosent have a good look on the ice

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I still don't quite get how someone like Cesario who has aged out of Juniors and has never even gone to the JGPF or won anything of note has 2 assignments while Hicks has none even though she easily beat Cesario at Nationals. As for Junior Worlds it wasn't like Cesario decisively beat her. She beat her by less then two points.

Cesario only has one assignment. The host spot at skate america

Country
Russia
Oooooh i didnt know that... would have that the spot would go to another french skater or russian.. korobeynikova still has one assignment.. love her hope she gets two
Korobeynikova was not at Top 5 (on Season Best) of pretenders to GP.
Other pretenders were
27 Haruka IMAI JPN
31 Natalia POPOVA UKR
32 Kexin ZHANG CHN
33 Amelie LACOSTE CAN

France preferred Cesario of these five.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I see thanks for clarifiaing. Still hoping russia wil give the tba spot to her... i know she hasnt been much consistent the past season but she is just a georgeous sight pn the ice

nam57

Rinkside
The "competition readiness" thing does not seem to apply to everyone! She looked great, but Keiser was the lowest I had ever seen her and still gets assigned?

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
The "competition readiness" thing does not seem to apply to everyone! She looked great, but Keiser was the lowest I had ever seen her and still gets assigned?

I agree with that, very suprised that keiser has a jgp shes been way off this season

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree with that, very suprised that keiser has a jgp shes been way off this season

She was replaced by Karen Chen. The assignment was provisional and likely made before Keiser scored 98 points total at Glacier Falls. Likely, she was assigned because she had strong(ish) showings on the JGP last year, 1st and 4th place and 6th at the JGPF but she still made it and everyone else there skated really well so it wasn't too much of a red flag. USFS was likely unaware of how much her injuries and growth spurt had effected her so they assigned her initially then replaced her with Chen after Chen medaled at her 1st JGP and Keiser put up such a low score at Glacier Falls.

Also, Russia assigned COR host pick to Gosviani. Much as I like Korobeynikova, I think that's fair, given Gosviani beat her at Nationals, was a solid 6th at Europeans, had a higher ISU SB last season, and was not assigned to any other GPs. Korobeynikova has one GP event and only got that due to her WS, which is remaining fairly high from the success she had in the 2011-2012 season as last season she was not very strong. Plus she didn't even skate at test skates and last season her content was very watered down, no 3lutz and one 3f in the FS, 3t-3t and 3lo in the SP. Gosviani meanwhile was doing 3f in both programs, and 3f-3t and 3lz in the FS, so to me, the assignment makes sense.

I wonder if Cesario had been assigned to TEB before, if the SA spot would have gone to Hicks? Hard to know but I do feel Sam was a bit lowballed at Nationals while Courtney's scores seemed surprisingly high. Plus even with all those URs Sam still beat Courtney at JW. If anything, I think Samantha is more of a threat to Zawadzki, Gao, Nagasu, Czisny for that 3rd spot than anyone else, just due to her consistency and polish which Courtney lacks. And the Nationals results were weird, I have a feeling that even though USFS ranked 3-8 as Zawadzki, Hicks, Gao, Siraj, Nagasu, Cesario, in an ISU event we could have very likely seen the outcome to be Gao, Cesario, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Hicks, Siraj instead. So I doubt anyone is holding down Courtney, I don't think she's that much of a threat at this point, likely she just wasn't given the nod because she is still eligible for JGPs and could go that route instead while Cesario cannot.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Remember that Max Aaron did not get any GP events either (he got two Senior B's instead) last season....and look where he ended up.

Sure a great splash on the GP helps, but if she brings it at Nationals, USFSA won't ignore her.
I agree (I'm not worried about holding her down if favor of Samantha or anything like that), but I was really surprised that they didn't give her any big event after her great summer results... She could have easily qualified for the JGPF, for example: even her PCS would be "high" if compared to skaters like Medvedeva, Kaumova, Edmunds, Kim

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It's unfortunate because if she did make the team, and I think it is a possibility, the international panel won't be familiar with her. I don't see how you can be 4th at Nationals and have a great summer skate and not get a GP spot from your host country.