Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Courtney Hicks GP season?!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    the judges can't "hold down" someone for not having a 3-3
    Being an unknown always hurts someone, because a lot of the judging is still reputation based. Therefore, if you're not well known, you need to have strong technical content to make the judges take notice of you quicker. Without a 3-3, the judges at Nationals cared even less about Cesario because they just assume she's a random middle-of-the-pack skater who won't ever be on the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Being an unknown always hurts someone, because a lot of the judging is still reputation based. Therefore, if you're not well known, you need to have strong technical content to make the judges take notice of you quicker. Without a 3-3, the judges at Nationals cared even less about Cesario because they just assume she's a random middle-of-the-pack skater who won't ever be on the podium.
    I agree with this too. Even skaters who don't have a 3-3, like Ashley, did have a 3-3 in the past (or at least attempted them regularly). Aside from the very top skaters, competitors need solid technical content to get the PCS marks.

Tripping on the Podium
    courtney win SLC by a wide margin in FS.. she definitivelly needs a GP at least (2 would be ideal).. she can get best places than zawadzki!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    courtney win SLC by a wide margin in FS.. she definitivelly needs a GP at least (2 would be ideal).. she can get best places than zawadzki!
    Yes Courtney did deserve at least one GP event this year. Cesario really didn't do enough last season to get 2 GP events as far as i'm concerned. Parts of Courtney's skating still bugs me with how she moves on the ice but her jumps are insane and i like how she actually has some personality on the ice. She's not trying to be the pwetty princess type skater and embraces being a power skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The one in combination with 2A was rotated, must have remembered it wrong, but look at where her toepick leaves the ice on the one in combination with the Lutz. She's pulling around on the ice with her toepick and not actually "jumping" until she's nearly sideways, and then she lands just a little bit past the point of being sideways.
    It's actually considered proper technique to take off after having drawn the blade almost around the outside of the toe pick, thus having the first quarter turn of the rotation on the ice. Taking off totally squared to the back would result in something that wasn't really a toe loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yes Courtney did deserve at least one GP event this year. Cesario really didn't do enough last season to get 2 GP events as far as i'm concerned. Parts of Courtney's skating still bugs me with how she moves on the ice but her jumps are insane and i like how she actually has some personality on the ice. She's not trying to be the pwetty princess type skater and embraces being a power skater.
    I think Cesario got two events by chance. She got SA first and TEB when someone withdrew. Someone else pointed out that Hicks didn't that well last season (internationally) to get a GP event unless it was an invitation to SA--but Cesario was extended that invitation instead.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I think Cesario got two events by chance. She got SA first and TEB when someone withdrew. Someone else pointed out that Hicks didn't that well last season (internationally) to get a GP event unless it was an invitation to SA--but Cesario was extended that invitation instead.
    Given that the USFSA places so much weight on Nationals results when deciding who goes to Worlds, I wish they would have rewarded Courtney's high placement with the invitation spot at SA.

Custom Title
    I don't mind Samantha got SA but why Zhang? Why USFS awarded Zhang so much, SA year after year, based on what criteria? Courtney should have got SA,not Zhang. Courtney has so much more potential than Zhang. The stupidity of USFS committee is unbearable.

Now the USFSA is really in a good situation: the skater who they gave the SA host pick to (they don't have anything to do with TEB, obviously) placed 3rd, the skater who didn't receive any GP assignement won

Custom Title
    I find that Courtney's LP suits her skating a lot better than the SP. She is not a musical skater, but she has clearly worked on her presentation--she sold her Evita pretty well. Jumps aside, Sammi is still a more skilled and elegant performer than Courtney. Not to mention superior in style... How Courtney's team lets her skate in those horrid half-over-the-skates tights (too dark a shade for her fair skin as well) is a mystery to me. I hope she switches to the classic white boots look asap, and that she gets a WD spot in a GP. She deserves it.

Tripping on the Podium
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCzWDs49WPM
    Courtney FS
    after her 3Lo-2A the comentarist said she look like irina slutakaya!!! she is right!! so similar!

Custom Title
    I just love watching Courtney. Something about her jumps make me so excited. They are big, Midori Ito big, Tonya Harding big.

She said this is her favorite program ever, and you know she meant it. That's how oblivious she is and I find that very endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCzWDs49WPM
    Courtney FS
    after her 3Lo-2A the comentarist said she look like irina slutakaya!!! she is right!! so similar!
    Thanks for the link. Can someone explain why Courtney is generally rated below Gracie Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thanks for the link. Can someone explain why Courtney is generally rated below Gracie Gold?
    While very put together, she doesn't look conventionally like Miss America. Her last name is not something that you can run away with and do cheesy champion-type analogies with. She does not have a Junior World medal.

(The first two were said in jest. The last one wasn't.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Gracie has had better international success?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast