Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: More Carmen and Swan Lake!!! REALLY?????

  1. #1
    #TeamAUS
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,384

    More Carmen and Swan Lake!!! REALLY?????

    “Swan Lake” and “Carmen”: during the Olympic season, Russian figure skaters stake on classical music. An open training session of Nikolai Morozov’s group has taken place in Novogorsk, near Moscow. Medalists of the European championship in ice dancing Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov, and vice-champion of the world in 2012 Alena Leonova have presented their programs....

    http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_09_05/...classics-0316/

    Well....The nutcracker is a nicer choice!

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    538
    I actually find Scheherazade to be more overused than Carmen or Swan Lake this season-but that's probably because I saw a lot of Scheherazades going through junior skaters' ISU biography pages.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by finnstep View Post
    i actually find scheherazade to be more overused than carmen or swan lake this season-but that's probably because i saw a lot of scheherazades going through junior skaters' isu biography pages.

    This was going to happen as it is the last year for non vocal music, so the old war horses were going to come out

  4. #4
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,033
    As long as the judges keep rewarding skaters for overused music, skaters will continue to do so.

  5. #5
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    457
    God i just think the idea of alowing vocals will ruin this sport.... vocals are for shows not competition...

  6. #6
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,439
    100% agreed. I truly fear what we will see/hear next season.

  7. #7
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    100% agreed. I truly fear what we will see/hear next season.
    Haha we will se sotnikova bring backs last seasons free but this time aguileras screaming continues through the whole program!

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    Haha we will se sotnikova bring backs last seasons free but this time aguileras screaming continues through the whole program!

    I envision unending years of the first movement of Carmina Burana, with frenzied arm movements.

  9. #9
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    Haha we will se sotnikova bring backs last seasons free but this time aguileras screaming continues through the whole program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I envision unending years of the first movement of Carmina Burana, with frenzied arm movements.
    Please don't give anyone any ideas.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    Haha we will se sotnikova bring backs last seasons free but this time aguileras screaming continues through the whole program!
    That is probably the worst music I have ever heard for a skater I like. I agree that I prefer no vocals because I often enjoy the instrumental versions of familiar vocal songs.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,616
    Did the judges not reward V/M Carmen? They won world silver! How about Ashley Wagner breakout to Swan Lake/Black Swan? Judges are so consistent in telling skaters to use Swan Lake and Carmen! All of them love the classics! They want more Carmen's! More Swan Lake's! More Sheherzade! If they could they might want to impose this music on all skaters at the beginning of a season! Maybe ladies/Sheherzade! Men/Carmen or LAdies/Carmen men/Sheherzade!. Judges are always reliable in music biases.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Did the judges not reward V/M Carmen? They won world silver! How about Ashley Wagner breakout to Swan Lake/Black Swan? Judges are so consistent in telling skaters to use Swan Lake and Carmen! All of them love the classics! They want more Carmen's! More Swan Lake's! More Sheherzade! If they could they might want to impose this music on all skaters at the beginning of a season! Maybe ladies/Sheherzade! Men/Carmen or LAdies/Carmen men/Sheherzade!. Judges are always reliable in music biases.
    I don't think they did. Virtue/Moir's "modern" Carmen wasn't the type of Carmen that the judges liked.

    But I would say Cappellini/Lanotte's Carmen was successful. They placed third in FD at last Worlds.

  13. #13
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnstep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Did the judges not reward V/M Carmen? They won world silver!
    I don't think they did. Virtue/Moir's "modern" Carmen wasn't the type of Carmen that the judges liked.

    But I would say Cappellini/Lanotte's Carmen was successful. They placed third in FD at last Worlds.
    I disagree. Virtue/Moir earned fifteen 10.00s in PCS for that program at 2012 Worlds--seven of them for Performance/Execution, four of them for choreography, and another four for Interpretation/Timing. They had as many 10.00s for Interpretation/Timing as D/W had! They also had the same PCS overall for Performance (9.96) and Interpretation/Timing (9.86) as D/W.

    V/M's overall PCS was off by about 0.40 (58.79 D/W vs. 58.32 V/M), while their TES was off by about 0.80 (53.85 D/W vs. 52.65 V/M).

    I don't know about you, but I would still call that appreciation.

    In my opinion, they weren't "rewarded" because they weren't as clean as D/W. By others' standards they were excellent, but by their own standards? Nope! And they hadn't been squeaky clean and/or synchonized the whole season for that program. And if it seems like I'm nitpicking, it's because I am. With V/M and D/W, you kind of have to.

    And poor C/L had to go right after V/M. It probably would have been better for them to go before. But oh well, third in the FD is awesome.

    ---

    But I digress. To be honest, I'm not looking forward to more Swan Lake and/or Carmen. I watched and re-watched Mao Asada's and Ashley Wagner's "Swan" programs A LOT last season (Thank you, YouTube--TBS remains Ashley's best program; sorry S&D), and the same goes for V/M's "Carmen." I love them all!

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I disagree. Virtue/Moir earned fifteen 10.00s in PCS for that program at 2012 Worlds--seven of them for Performance/Execution, four of them for choreography, and another four for Interpretation/Timing. They had as many 10.00s for Interpretation/Timing as D/W had! They also had the same PCS overall for Performance (9.96) and Interpretation/Timing (9.86) as D/W.

    V/M's overall PCS was off by about 0.40 (58.79 D/W vs. 58.32 V/M), while their TES was off by about 0.80 (53.85 D/W vs. 52.65 V/M).


    I don't know about you, but I would still call that appreciation.

    In my opinion, they weren't "rewarded" because they weren't as clean as D/W. By others' standards they were excellent, but by their own standards? Nope! And they hadn't been squeaky clean and/or synchonized the whole season for that program. And if it seems like I'm nitpicking, it's because I am. With V/M and D/W, you kind of have to.

    And poor C/L had to go right after V/M. It probably would have been better for them to go before. But oh well, third in the FD is awesome.
    I actually think that skating on the home ice helped them to get a similar PCS to Davis/White's PCS.

  15. #15
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    457
    Maos swan lake last season wad epic thougr..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •