Dick Button's garden | Golden Skate

Dick Button's garden

aftertherain

Record Breaker
He calls the two urns in front of the twin perennial borders “my two Peggys,” after Peggy Fleming, his fellow champion on ice and commentator on TV. Depending on what he plants in them each year it might be “Peggy on a bad hair day” or “Peggy with an Afro.”

HAH. Oh, Mr. Button.

ivy

On the Ice
Take pics! Wish I was in the area. Wonder if he'll be hanging out -seems likely

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I LOVE the five sitting doves - representing the judges. Fabulous. I also love the 1948 Davos gate in honor of his first Olympic Gold medal. Does anyone know figures well enough to tell if that pattern is the figure he might have skated?

The article also mentions that he lost the hearing in his left ear because of his fall in 2000. I didn't know that. It may explain some of his more recent commentating hesitations for me.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gee, I would :love: to visit Uncle Dickie's garden. It looks beautiful, & he still has his sense of humor. Sorry to hear that he lost his hearing in his left ear due to that fall.

lcd

Match Penalty
Who says he "left" NYC? I understand he has residences in multiple locations. His garden is likely in a summer home.

MasterB

Final Flight
Who says he "left" NYC? I understand he has residences in multiple locations. His garden is likely in a summer home.

I think he has always had this home, it's in upper westchester in North Salem. I went to visit and it was beatiful. My wife bet me that we would be the only fools to show up. To her's and my astonishment there were hundreds of people there. Luckly we arrived early and he was receiving everyone. I asked to take a picture with him and he asked me if I was a skater. I almost pee my pants. I will post pictures later.

On a side note: As a teenager I worked in the Fisk Building for a law firm on 57th street and the elevator operator who knew I was a fanatic skater informed me that the great Dick Button had an office right above me. I didn't beleived him and by chance one day he walked right into the elevator as I was heading to work. I froze and couldn't say a word. Eventually I went to his floor an stalked him until I got the courage to say hello.

ivy

On the Ice
My wife bet me that we would be the only fools to show up. To her's and my astonishment there were hundreds of people there.

The Garden Conservancy that organized the tour is pretty well known in gardening circles....they only show great private gardens and know how to turn out the visitors. Sounds like his garden is maybe open every fall :)

I think he has always had this home, it's in upper westchester in North Salem. I went to visit and it was beatiful. My wife bet me that we would be the only fools to show up. To her's and my astonishment there were hundreds of people there. Luckly we arrived early and he was receiving everyone. I asked to take a picture with him and he asked me if I was a skater. I almost pee my pants. I will post pictures later.

On a side note: As a teenager I worked in the Fisk Building for a law firm on 57th street and the elevator operator who knew I was a fanatic skater informed me that the great Dick Button had an office right above me. I didn't beleived him and by chance one day he walked right into the elevator as I was heading to work. I froze and couldn't say a word. Eventually I went to his floor an stalked him until I got the courage to say hello.

So you've been lucky twice! How nice. Let us know when you post your pictures, and thanks in advance.

lcd

Match Penalty

Yes, Dick Button was quite a successful sports promoter in his day. Candid Productions. He was trained as a lawyer at Harvard, and had many different ventures. I believe he was actually Janet Lynn's first agent and was behind her Ice Capades Contract which at the time made her the best paid female athlete of all time.

We all remember the 'golden' age of ABC TV broadcasts of skating, including of the Pro events in Landover, Maryland.

A lot of projects and a lot of success = houses in NYC and elsewhere. Great to see him able to enjoy the natural beauty of his garden.

I would still love to see him do some commentary somehow, somewhere. We miss him in Boston. Hopefully he will make the trip for Nationals and be interviewed at the end of the event so that he can throw out a few of his signature bon mots!