Thread: All grown up, Sotnikova enrolls in university

News All grown up, Sotnikova enrolls in university

Russia's Adelina Sotnikova has grown up. The European silver medalist, who turned 17 on July 1, finished school this spring and now has entered the Sports University.

More

Custom Title
    Triple Flip University? LOL! She stopped reading internet forums 3 years ago! Good luck to her in the sports University!

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Triple Flip University? LOL! She stopped reading internet forums 3 years ago! Good luck to her in the sports University!
    It's hard to tell when something is a lighthearted joke on the internet, but there's really no need to be so disparaging regardless. She wants to be a coach, and this is evidently one way to achieve that in Russia. I think good for her. It is nice to know she has a plan for later in her life and it is nice that she wants to remain involved in skating once her competitive career ends.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers
    And it's a good thing she stopped. She'd have to read posts like yours, and that's really nothing you'd want any skater to do.

Anyway, best of luck to Adelina, and I hope this turns out the way she wants it too

Custom Title
    Already eyes set to become a coach. I'm sure she is going to have wonderful experiences from which to bring to bear, but ... why not at 18 be open to exploring anything else in life? Kind of disappointing to see her so "programmed" to such a narrow point of view. I would bet the excellence she has brought to skating could translate to many other possible professional choices.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    And it's a good thing she stopped. She'd have to read posts like yours, and that's really nothing you'd want any skater to do.

Anyway, best of luck to Adelina, and I hope this turns out the way she wants it too
    If she ever read a post like mine it would not be anything other than what she already knows! Or should know! Like she wouldn't know she has a problem with flips? Like her flip problem prevented her from impressing like Zijun Li did at 2013 worlds!

Custom Title
    Best of luck to Adelina at university, seems to me she's a bit young to be in college already, in the US she'd only be starting her senior year, or even junior year as lots of students with birthdays in the summer opt to stay back a year in school, but I guess the Russian system is different, and idk if she really even went to a normal highschool or not with all her training.

Custom Title
    She may have taken accelerated courses if she was tutored instead of attending classes--if they indeed have such an arrangement in Russia.

Rinkside
    If wrong, please correct me. I heard Adelina's sister has been sick, so she needs to help her family financially or at least be independent financially...or something. If so, it's good for her to study to be a coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Like her flip problem prevented her from impressing like Zijun Li did at 2013 worlds!
    What does this have to do with Li? Not to mention Li had a flutz problem at Worlds. She also doesn't have any GP medals whereas Sotnikova has 4...

Good for Adelina... pursuing an education, especially tied to her skating is a great endeavour. What she'll learn will probably make her a more well-rounded coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    If wrong, please correct me. I heard Adelina's sister has been sick, so she needs to help her family financially or at least be independent financially...or something. If so, it's good for her to study to be a coach.
    I thought Adelina's sister had some kind of mental or physical handicap? I remember seeing lots of pictures of Adelina with a girl who looked very much like her but physically had something "off" about her appearance, I assumed this was her younger sister, if that is the case she probably requires special care like a live-in caretaker or attends some kind of school or facility for girls with similar disabilities, and at least in the states, anything like that is quite expensive, even with health insurance. If that is the case, it would not surprise me if Adelina needs to support herself financially. IIRC, she also lives far from the CSKA rink, towards the outskirts of Moscow city, so that may indicate she does not come from a particularly wealthy family. Anyways, I think it is good she is going to university, with a degree from a sports university, she would probably be qualified to work in a profession besides figure skating coaching, so it's not really nailing her into just one career opportunity.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    entire post
    Thank you very much for the explanation. And I totally agree with your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I thought Adelina's sister had some kind of mental or physical handicap? I remember seeing lots of pictures of Adelina with a girl who looked very much like her but physically had something "off" about her appearance, I assumed this was her younger sister, if that is the case she probably requires special care like a live-in caretaker or attends some kind of school or facility for girls with similar disabilities, and at least in the states, anything like that is quite expensive, even with health insurance. If that is the case, it would not surprise me if Adelina needs to support herself financially. IIRC, she also lives far from the CSKA rink, towards the outskirts of Moscow city, so that may indicate she does not come from a particularly wealthy family. Anyways, I think it is good she is going to university, with a degree from a sports university, she would probably be qualified to work in a profession besides figure skating coaching, so it's not really nailing her into just one career opportunity.
    I believe the Russian Fed gave her an apt close to/next door to the rink after she won nationals for the 1st/2nd time b/c in one interview I read she said that her and her mom had been staying at her apt (that the Fed gave her) b/c it was closer to the rink.