Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: When do you start packing?

  1. #1
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666

    When do you start packing?

    I think I've asked this once before, but I like the game, so I'll ask again:

    When do you start packing for a vacation/trip?

    I'm 19 days till I fly out for 2 weeks to Florida.... I feel like I'm still too far out to start packing, but I had nightmares all last night that I forgot everything I needed and had packed random things... so obviously subconsciously I'm thinking I need to start. Normally I pack about a week out and then spend the days leading up to the day I leave repacking.

    So when do you start packing?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I'm not much of a traveler, but I do remember the thrill of being at sleepaway camp sometime before the last day, packing for the trip home. That was my first experience with the fun of arranging everything in the trunk. Really, as soon as you have the urge, you should do a little packing just to channel your excitement. As you say, you can repack later. Sounds like a great plan!

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    564
    For short trips (weekends), I pack fifteen minutes before leaving. For long trips, I pack the day before. To me, it is easy to forget things if you pack too early because you are taking things out to use them.

    Maybe try making a list of what you need to take now. I have done that for longer trips.

  4. #4
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,689
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Maybe try making a list of what you need to take now. I have done that for longer trips.
    That's what I do, then as I pack I check things off. It really helped. I don't pack until two days before because I use some of the stuff like my hair stuff. I make my list as far as a couple of weeks ahead.

  5. #5
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    I also do the list...I put my toiletries bag/case in my suitcase, but I don't fill it till the day of travel.

  6. #6
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,604
    I like having a master list, which I store in my note-taking program. Then when I pack for the trip, I can adjust the list depending on the length of trip, weather, etc. But usually the same things show up.

    Also, I highly recommend packing carry-on. Even if you fly with an airline that doesn't charge baggage fees (Southwest), it's really nice to be able to get in-and-out of airports without waiting for luggage. I recently went on a two-week trip and managed to get everything into a carry-on and a messenger bag (personal item).

    Here are some great sites that offer helpful tips:

    http://www.onebag.com/
    http://travelfashiongirl.com/ <--- they have a variety of great packing lists you can use.

  7. #7
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    We have to check luggage as dad is bringing golf clubs. Also with it being a trip to Walt Disney World we don't even have to mess with going to baggage claim! They have a program called "Disney's Magical Express" They send us special luggage tags that we put on the checked bags and they pick them up and deliver them to our room (a lot of the time the bags beat us to our room!). I still pack carry-ons so that if the luggage is delayed I'm not stuck in plane clothes/etc. I always pack one day's worth of clothes/toiletries just so if my luggage is lost I'm not completely stuck.

  8. #8
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    We have to check luggage as dad is bringing golf clubs. Also with it being a trip to Walt Disney World we don't even have to mess with going to baggage claim! They have a program called "Disney's Magical Express" They send us special luggage tags that we put on the checked bags and they pick them up and deliver them to our room (a lot of the time the bags beat us to our room!). I still pack carry-ons so that if the luggage is delayed I'm not stuck in plane clothes/etc. I always pack one day's worth of clothes/toiletries just so if my luggage is lost I'm not completely stuck.
    Disney Magical Express worked very smoothly for us this past March. Happy packing, Toni! I know you can't wait!

  9. #9
    Custom Title merrywidow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,401
    I always began days before a major trip, just non wrinkly items. My daughter who has traveled a lot this year only unpacks to switch out dirty clothes for clean clothes.

  10. #10
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Disney Magical Express worked very smoothly for us this past March. Happy packing, Toni! I know you can't wait!
    I LOVE the DME! As does my dad. He HATES baggage claim... he likes being pampered lol

  11. #11
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,992
    I start packing 2 to 3 days before going away for a month or two. What can I say? But I do make sure that every stitch I own is clean first, and that the house is really clean so that when I return, I don't return to a ton of work - that starts over a week before I leave

  12. #12
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I start packing 2 to 3 days before going away for a month or two. What can I say? But I do make sure that every stitch I own is clean first, and that the house is really clean so that when I return, I don't return to a ton of work - that starts over a week before I leave
    Sounds like my aunt! She's more concerned about a clean house than packing for a trip. She figures if she forgets something she can replace it when she gets to her destination.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,570
    While I was travelling for holidays I used to have lists (which I saved to use for similar holidays) for various types of holidays (city abroad, beach abroad or just a country holiday in Finland). According to a list it was easy to gather the things you need a couple of days before starting the trip and one did not forget to pack something necessary.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    While I was travelling for holidays I used to have lists (which I saved to use for similar holidays) for various types of holidays (city abroad, beach abroad or just a country holiday in Finland). According to a list it was easy to gather the things you need a couple of days before starting the trip and one did not forget to pack something necessary.
    Jaana, that is such a great idea. I'll have to think about doing that. By the way, the words "country holiday in Finland" gave me the most delightful feeling of yearning. I had an instant view of one of Tove Jansson's descriptions of the countryside from her Moomintroll books. One day maybe I'll get to go there, and then I'll ask you what to pack! (Of course I'll carry a copy of Comet in Moominland with me.)

  15. #15
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Sounds like my aunt! She's more concerned about a clean house than packing for a trip. She figures if she forgets something she can replace it when she gets to her destination.
    Well, I have from time to time arrived at my destination with no luggage, however carefully I packed. However, the clean house is always there when I get back

    I have a list of things that absolutely must not be left behind, and they are always in our carryons. I spend more time being very careful about carry on luggage than I do on big suitcases. I can always order/buy/whatever clothos, should I forget anything.

    A funny tip from friends of mine. When they are doing a cruise that starts from a destination they have to fly to, they buy any dress clothes they might need at Good Will for peanuts after they get off the plane, and then leave the dress clothes on the ship, thus saving paying for an extra suitcase on the flights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •