When do you start packing? | Golden Skate

When do you start packing?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think I've asked this once before, but I like the game, so I'll ask again:

When do you start packing for a vacation/trip?

I'm 19 days till I fly out for 2 weeks to Florida.... I feel like I'm still too far out to start packing, but I had nightmares all last night that I forgot everything I needed and had packed random things... so obviously subconsciously I'm thinking I need to start. :laugh: Normally I pack about a week out and then spend the days leading up to the day I leave repacking.

So when do you start packing?

I'm not much of a traveler, but I do remember the thrill of being at sleepaway camp sometime before the last day, packing for the trip home. That was my first experience with the fun of arranging everything in the trunk. Really, as soon as you have the urge, you should do a little packing just to channel your excitement. As you say, you can repack later. Sounds like a great plan!

louisa05

Final Flight
For short trips (weekends), I pack fifteen minutes before leaving. For long trips, I pack the day before. To me, it is easy to forget things if you pack too early because you are taking things out to use them.

Maybe try making a list of what you need to take now. I have done that for longer trips.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe try making a list of what you need to take now. I have done that for longer trips.

That's what I do, then as I pack I check things off. It really helped. I don't pack until two days before because I use some of the stuff like my hair stuff. I make my list as far as a couple of weeks ahead.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I also do the list...I put my toiletries bag/case in my suitcase, but I don't fill it till the day of travel.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like having a master list, which I store in my note-taking program. Then when I pack for the trip, I can adjust the list depending on the length of trip, weather, etc. But usually the same things show up.

Also, I highly recommend packing carry-on. Even if you fly with an airline that doesn't charge baggage fees (Southwest), it's really nice to be able to get in-and-out of airports without waiting for luggage. I recently went on a two-week trip and managed to get everything into a carry-on and a messenger bag (personal item).

Here are some great sites that offer helpful tips:

http://www.onebag.com/
http://travelfashiongirl.com/ <--- they have a variety of great packing lists you can use.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We have to check luggage as dad is bringing golf clubs. Also with it being a trip to Walt Disney World we don't even have to mess with going to baggage claim! They have a program called "Disney's Magical Express" They send us special luggage tags that we put on the checked bags and they pick them up and deliver them to our room (a lot of the time the bags beat us to our room!). I still pack carry-ons so that if the luggage is delayed I'm not stuck in plane clothes/etc. I always pack one day's worth of clothes/toiletries just so if my luggage is lost I'm not completely stuck.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have to check luggage as dad is bringing golf clubs. Also with it being a trip to Walt Disney World we don't even have to mess with going to baggage claim! They have a program called "Disney's Magical Express" They send us special luggage tags that we put on the checked bags and they pick them up and deliver them to our room (a lot of the time the bags beat us to our room!). I still pack carry-ons so that if the luggage is delayed I'm not stuck in plane clothes/etc. I always pack one day's worth of clothes/toiletries just so if my luggage is lost I'm not completely stuck.

Disney Magical Express worked very smoothly for us this past March. Happy packing, Toni! I know you can't wait!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I always began days before a major trip, just non wrinkly items. My daughter who has traveled a lot this year only unpacks to switch out dirty clothes for clean clothes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Disney Magical Express worked very smoothly for us this past March. Happy packing, Toni! I know you can't wait!

I LOVE the DME! As does my dad. He HATES baggage claim... he likes being pampered lol

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I start packing 2 to 3 days before going away for a month or two. What can I say? But I do make sure that every stitch I own is clean first, and that the house is really clean so that when I return, I don't return to a ton of work - that starts over a week before I leave :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I start packing 2 to 3 days before going away for a month or two. What can I say? But I do make sure that every stitch I own is clean first, and that the house is really clean so that when I return, I don't return to a ton of work - that starts over a week before I leave :laugh:

Sounds like my aunt! She's more concerned about a clean house than packing for a trip. She figures if she forgets something she can replace it when she gets to her destination. :no:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
While I was travelling for holidays I used to have lists (which I saved to use for similar holidays) for various types of holidays (city abroad, beach abroad or just a country holiday in Finland). According to a list it was easy to gather the things you need a couple of days before starting the trip and one did not forget to pack something necessary.

While I was travelling for holidays I used to have lists (which I saved to use for similar holidays) for various types of holidays (city abroad, beach abroad or just a country holiday in Finland). According to a list it was easy to gather the things you need a couple of days before starting the trip and one did not forget to pack something necessary.

Jaana, that is such a great idea. I'll have to think about doing that. By the way, the words "country holiday in Finland" gave me the most delightful feeling of yearning. I had an instant view of one of Tove Jansson's descriptions of the countryside from her Moomintroll books. One day maybe I'll get to go there, and then I'll ask you what to pack! (Of course I'll carry a copy of Comet in Moominland with me.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sounds like my aunt! She's more concerned about a clean house than packing for a trip. She figures if she forgets something she can replace it when she gets to her destination. :no:

Well, I have from time to time arrived at my destination with no luggage, however carefully I packed. However, the clean house is always there when I get back ;)

I have a list of things that absolutely must not be left behind, and they are always in our carryons. I spend more time being very careful about carry on luggage than I do on big suitcases. I can always order/buy/whatever clothos, should I forget anything.

A funny tip from friends of mine. When they are doing a cruise that starts from a destination they have to fly to, they buy any dress clothes they might need at Good Will for peanuts after they get off the plane, and then leave the dress clothes on the ship, thus saving paying for an extra suitcase on the flights.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jaana, that is such a great idea. I'll have to think about doing that. By the way, the words "country holiday in Finland" gave me the most delightful feeling of yearning. I had an instant view of one of Tove Jansson's descriptions of the countryside from her Moomintroll books. One day maybe I'll get to go there, and then I'll ask you what to pack! (Of course I'll carry a copy of Comet in Moominland with me.)

Welcome to our countryside.... LOL, Moomi books, enjoyable.

heyang

Record Breaker
I probably start packing about a week before going somewhere. the week before that week, I mentally plan out what clothing I want to bring so I can make sure they are washed before I pack them and that the clothes I'll be wearing before I leave aren't going on the trip.

I also pile up stuff the week leading into departure. When I actually pack, I'll change my mind about some items and switch things out, but having that pile is just a reminder.

As related to toiletries, I keep a toiletry bag with small bottles of what I use. Sometimes they are empty, but seeing the bottle in my toiletry bag reminds me to fill up the small bottle or buy a replacement. If I know that I'll be staying a hotel that will have free to toiletries, I take only the items that they hotel won't have. If it's a longer trip where I might need nail polish remover, I bring a small bottle with me, but otherwise leave it at home.

heyang

Record Breaker
Oh, it also depends where I'm going. If it's somewhere in the US, I don't worry about forgetting stuff, as I'm pretty sure I can find what I need somewhere nearby.

However, I just went to Hong Kong on business - just last week. Between knowing that I wouldn't have time to shop, knowing that sizing of clothing is different, knowing that the familiar chain stores would not be readily located and knowing that goods are much more expensive there, I made sure I was loaded up with OTC medicine and other personal care items .

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah we've hit the 15 day mark until I need to be packed and ready to go. I am starting to pull all of my travel stuff together and get the packing list going. It's going to creep up on me fast if I don't start paying attention.