Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What is up with Katia Gordeeva's two daughters, Daria and Liza?

Custom Title

What is up with Katia Gordeeva's two daughters, Daria and Liza?

I haven't heard anything about Daria in a few years and she wasn't in the Family skating event last year. I searched for her on Twitter and found this, which worried me- sounds like she's doing lots of drugs and drinking:

I so want her to turn out happy and healthy. LOVED Sergei and Katia and have always had a tender spot in my heart for Daria.

And I heard that Liza is an upcoming skater? has anyone seen her skate recently? Is she considered a contender for national novice yet? With Ilia and Katia as her parents, she certainly has both great jumping and artistry genes.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide on either of the girls.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-13-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's very hard to tell whether a twitter account really belongs to one person or another in real life. I edited out the twitter you linked, because it's unlikely that it is Daria Gordeeva-Grinkova's
    The wiki gives the last name as Gordeeva-Grinkova, and I've seen articles in which her last name is Grinkova.

Custom Title
    I doubt very much, that the account would be Daria´s. About her name though, she has used Gordeeva-Grinkova because of travel arrangements. The family had too many different last names: Ilia Kulik, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Daria Grinkova and Elizaveta Kulik.

I haven't heard much about Daria but here's a recent video of Liza. Looking great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJaiQYnLjQ

Isn't Daria in college now? Liza skated during the pre-show warm-up of SOI in Hershey, PA on New Year's Eve (12/31/12).

Custom Title
    When I read this, I got a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. I hope that this report is inaccurate and has nothing at all to do with one of our favorite skating families.

I found a facebook account of Daria Grinkova, but since I'm not on facebook, I can't access it.

Custom Title
    Liza did look good but I am not sure how old she is? If she is under 11 she looks really good if she is 12 or older she is better than average but her hardest jump is a doublelutz. Still great presence on ice and speed and decent spins already. Looks like her dad is coaching. As for big sister yes, we all hope Daria has not fallen from grace.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Liza did look good but I am not sure how old she is? If she is under 11 she looks really good if she is 12 or older she is better than average but her hardest jump is a doublelutz. Still great presence on ice and speed and decent spins already. Looks like her dad is coaching. As for big sister yes, we all hope Daria has not fallen from grace.
    According to Wikipedia (her dad's entry) she was born June 15, 2002 which means she is 11 years old now. At the time of the video (2013 Southwest Pacific Regional Championships) she was 10 years old.

When Liza was smaller, she was interviewed and said that her skating was "better than mom's and dad's"! Gordeeva said Liza was talented and had real potential. I don't know if they're skating just for fun or are considering seriously in going elite. Daria was taught well in her skating, but alas, she didn't ooze natural talent. That was when she was in her teens. She is an adult now, born in '92.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    In the 2013 Southwest Pacific regionals, Liza placed 5th in her Juvenile QR with 46.46 points. Only the top 4 girls went on to the CR and she missed out by 2.10 points (next highest girl had 48.56). Looks like her QR was tough. Two of the girls placed at Nationals (Gold and Bronze)

Custom Title
    Daria gave up skating when the family moved to Californina, which was her freshman year in HS. Daria did go to college and might still be there. She played Lacrosse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    When Liza was smaller, she was interviewed and said that her skating was "better than mom's and dad's"! Gordeeva said Liza was talented and had real potential. I don't know if they're skating just for fun or are considering seriously in going elite. Daria was taught well in her skating, but alas, she didn't ooze natural talent. That was when she was in her teens. She is an adult now, born in '92.
    Considering that Daria's parents had what amounts to magical powers on the ice, it's a hard legacy to live up to. Even today, Katia doesn't have to do jumps to hold viewers' attention on the ice. Just the way she drifts like gossamer and controls her blades can be hypnotic, and then add the musical interpretation....Daria skated nicely the few times I saw her, but nothing stood out to me. I know we're not supposed to speculate about skaters' lives or their families, but I cross fingers that she's living a good life and is all right.

As for Liza, what is it that one will spot at this age to give indication of her talent? (Though of course she's just three years younger than Tara's age when she won Worlds, I don't imagine every breathtaking skater has to be a child prodigy.) Or maybe I should ask, at what age might one spot potential? I'd love for her to be splendid, of course.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Considering that Daria's parents had what amounts to magical powers on the ice, it's a hard legacy to live up to. Even today, Katia doesn't have to do jumps to hold viewers' attention on the ice. Just the way she drifts like gossamer and controls her blades can be hypnotic, and then add the musical interpretation....Daria skated nicely the few times I saw her, but nothing stood out to me. I know we're not supposed to speculate about skaters' lives or their families, but I cross fingers that she's living a good life and is all right.

As for Liza, what is it that one will spot at this age to give indication of her talent? (Though of course she's just three years younger than Tara's age when she won Worlds, I don't imagine every breathtaking skater has to be a child prodigy.) Or maybe I should ask, at what age might one spot potential? I'd love for her to be splendid, of course.
    The reason that Twitter feed seemed like Daria's is that it was a college student in Boston, from California, who visited Russia, and had a Mom and sister. I really hope it wasn't her, or if it was, that she was going through a rebellious phrase. The feed stopped over a year ago. I just hope Daria feels not only her mother and Ilia's love but also Sergei's enduring love blessing her and giving her confidence and strength. She was such a beautiful girl with so much spark and spunk and I know that she can make wonderful contributions to the world whether she skates or not!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    I haven't heard much about Daria but here's a recent video of Liza. Looking great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJaiQYnLjQ
    She does look great! What a nice layback she has, and her jumps have a good amount of air to them. I love the high-five from Dad, her coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    The reason that Twitter feed seemed like Daria's is that it was a college student in Boston, from California, who visited Russia, and had a Mom and sister. I really hope it wasn't her, or if it was, that she was going through a rebellious phrase. The feed stopped over a year ago. I just hope Daria feels not only her mother and Ilia's love but also Sergei's enduring love blessing her and giving her confidence and strength. She was such a beautiful girl with so much spark and spunk and I know that she can make wonderful contributions to the world whether she skates or not!
    I kind of feel like Daria's personal life should be off limits here. She has shown no interest in being in the public eye and we should respect that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast