Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What is up with Katia Gordeeva's two daughters, Daria and Liza?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I kind of feel like Daria's personal life should be off limits here. She has shown no interest in being in the public eye and we should respect that.
    I agree to keeping personal life off limits, but a public twitter feed is another story- that puts you in the public eye. I hope it's not her. But I do want to know about whether or not either girl is skating. Liza really looks fantastic! and she is adorable. I am also so happy about Ilia and Katia's new rink in California. Those two can inspire and teach numerous skaters, not just their own daughters!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Considering that Daria's parents had what amounts to magical powers on the ice, it's a hard legacy to live up to. Even today, Katia doesn't have to do jumps to hold viewers' attention on the ice. Just the way she drifts like gossamer and controls her blades can be hypnotic, and then add the musical interpretation....Daria skated nicely the few times I saw her, but nothing stood out to me. I know we're not supposed to speculate about skaters' lives or their families, but I cross fingers that she's living a good life and is all right.

As for Liza, what is it that one will spot at this age to give indication of her talent? (Though of course she's just three years younger than Tara's age when she won Worlds, I don't imagine every breathtaking skater has to be a child prodigy.) Or maybe I should ask, at what age might one spot potential? I'd love for her to be splendid, of course.
    Identifying talent is a curious thing. Maria Butryskaya was told she had no talent and that she should quit. Frank Carroll said that Chris Bowman was the most physically talented skater he's ever worked with; he started coaching Bowman when he was 4.5 years old and was the cutest little doll - he didn't know his right foot from left, yet he was naturally skating like it was the easiest thing in the world.

What Gordeeva saw in Liza was probably her natural ability to glide across the ice. She understood how to control edges. There was a special where Liza displayed this natural ability and she was just a few years old then.

There aren't that many skaters who make it to the top without some level of talent and natural ability. Lysacek wasn't really stellar in anything in particular but worked like a maniac to get there; his talent was really hard work and good mental game.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Identifying talent is a curious thing. Maria Butryskaya was told she had no talent and that she should quit. Frank Carroll said that Chris Bowman was the most physically talented skater he's ever worked with; he started coaching Bowman when he was 4.5 years old and was the cutest little doll - he didn't know his right foot from left, yet he was naturally skating like it was the easiest thing in the world.

What Gordeeva saw in Liza was probably her natural ability to glide across the ice. She understood how to control edges. There was a special where Liza displayed this natural ability and she was just a few years old then.

There aren't that many skaters who make it to the top without some level of talent and natural ability. Lysacek wasn't really stellar in anything in particular but worked like a maniac to get there; his talent was really hard work and good mental game.
    And a bit of luck or a lot of luck. Let's not forget that.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    When I read this, I got a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. I hope that this report is inaccurate and has nothing at all to do with one of our favorite skating families.

I found a facebook account of Daria Grinkova, but since I'm not on facebook, I can't access it.
    This thread, and in particular Olympia’s comment, got me curious. So I just did a search for Daria on Facebook using various possible surnames.

The “Daria Grinkova” search came up with 3 results. The first result had her name written in Latin characters, but had no Profile Picture (or, at least, not a public one). In the list of her “Likes” were a couple of Kate Middleton Fan Pages, one for Ekaterina Gordeeva, and for Tessa Virtue.

For me, this result screamed “somebody pretending to be Sergei’s daughter”.

The other 2 had her name written in Cyrillic characters. One of them had only joined in January and had no profile picture. The other had a Profile Picture, but as I didn’t know what she looks like…

The “Daria Gordeeva” search came up with 56 results (22 in Latin and 34 in Cyrillic), and I couldn’t be bothered going through them! However, I did notice that I had 1 mutual friend with one of them (yes, the mutual friend is a skater!), so I went into it.

All the posts (or, at least, all the public posts) are in English, and were posted in various places in California. There were lots of photos but, again, I didn’t know what she looks like. But, I can re-assure you that this Daria looks nothing like any of the girls with the same name on Twitter! (I'm not on Twitter, so I was relying on Google to search for Twitter accounts)

I had no idea if this is the right Daria or not. But, I really hope it is! If this profile is her, it is very re-assuring – the posts are all the normal sort of stuff that a girl of her age would post. And after the worrying that this thread has caused, it would really set our minds at rest.

I also did a search for “Daria Kulikova”, just in case the family had decided to take on Ilia’s name for handiness (Jaana’s comment about travelling put this in mind). But, there were so many results that I stopped counting at 100. None of them jumped out at me, so I didn’t click into any of them.

Incidentally, I repeated my searches in vKontakt as well. “Daria Gordeeva” came up with 482 profiles and 7 groups; “Daria Grinkova” came up with 15 profiles (1 was in the US, but she was far too young!); and “Daria Kulikova” came up with 813 profiles. Suffice to say, I didn’t go into any!

However, there were also some videos amongst the vKontakt results. One of the results was a link (posted last week) to a YouTube video of Ekaterina and her daughters from 2007. And, from this, I can confirm that the Facebook profile I was talking about IS Ekaterina and Sergei’s daughter, and the Twitter profiles are NOT.

Hope this clears up the confusion, and re-assures everybody

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    I tutored a student for several years who was in the same high school as Daria. All I will say is that my student told me she had made "some bad choices." I don't remember seeing her at the graduation either--for whatever reason, I don't know. This was two years ago. I do believe she went on to college.

Custom Title
    Thanks, CarolLiza_fan, for your research. By the way, I think that Kulik is one of those names like Korbut (as in Olga) that doesn't need a feminine suffix. It could be Ukrainian or from Belarus (what's the adjective for Belarus?). I think that Liza was listed as Elisaveta Kulik on the skating video. So there might be some Daria Kuliks as well out there.

Oreo, I'm remaining anxious after I read your post. I'll just cross fingers that things sorted themselves out. All I can say is that the twitter account that occasioned this thread is the most continuously foulmouthed set of tweets one can imagine. Man, it's so hard to be a parent these days.

Custom Title
    Even certain high profile athletes take little heed of the exposure, and thus responsibility, that social media provides. There was a recent photo posted that the French ice dancer Pechalat posted, and the Russian World champion pairs skater Trankov posted a comment asking her "Did you rape him?"

I 'get' that it was in jest and that English is not his first language. But ...

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Thanks, CarolLiza_fan, for your research. By the way, I think that Kulik is one of those names like Korbut (as in Olga) that doesn't need a feminine suffix. It could be Ukrainian or from Belarus (what's the adjective for Belarus?). I think that Liza was listed as Elisaveta Kulik on the skating video. So there might be some Daria Kuliks as well out there.
    I'll be honest, I didn't try "Daria Kulik" on it's own, for the simple reason that the search box on Facebook was predicting "Kulikova".

But, it doesn't matter anyway, as I'm confident that the Facebook account I talked about (using her Mum's maiden name) is the right Daria.

The reason I included the process of how I did my research was just to show you all just how many people there are out there with the same name.

The adjective for Belarus is "Belarussian". Incidentally, the name of the country is actually a contraction of "Byelorussia" (literally "White Russia"), and hence the adjective is a contraction of "Byelorussian" (literally "White Russian").

Oreo, I'm remaining anxious after I read your post. I'll just cross fingers that things sorted themselves out. All I can say is that the twitter account that occasioned this thread is the most continuously foulmouthed set of tweets one can imagine. Man, it's so hard to be a parent these days.
    All girls have issues of some kind or another during their teenage years. I wouldn't be too concerned unless whatever Oreo is talking about is still a continuing issue.

As for the girl on Twitter, I don't understand why some people write like this on the internet. Would they do the same if writing on paper? Like, even if she is not "our" Daria, she is nevertheless somebody's daughter, and what would her parents think if they were reading?!

Just one more reason why I am glad I am not on Twitter!

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post

All girls have issues of some kind or another during their teenage years. I wouldn't be too concerned unless whatever Oreo is talking about is still a continuing issue.
    I agree. Everyone needs to get street cred at some point

There was an article on Icenetwork fairly recently that talks about the children of champion skaters, and Katia was interviewed about her daughters. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news Both Katia and Ilia have always shied away from making any remarks about expectations for either of their daughters' skating because I think they're very cognizant of the pressure that puts on them. The fact that Katia even mentioned hopes for Liza to experience international competition someday means that she must show at least some promise.

As for Daria, there was an article in IFS last summer/fall about Kulik and Gordeeva's new rink that asked about her. I don't have the article on me, but I believe Katia said that she went to college on the East Coast for awhile, but decided to take a break and go back to California and that she had a job. From quite awhile back, Daria gave an interview to her high school newspaper about playing lacrosse and quitting skating. http://articles.dailypilot.com/2009-...acrosse-figure

Lastly, Kristi Yamaguchi recently posted a picture of her daughter Emma getting a skating lesson from Katia. This was really wonderful to see, skaters and SOI castmates passing on their skills to future generations. http://twitter.com/kristiyamaguchi/s...61341544828930 I think Kristi's daughter(s?) have also taken lessons from Rudy Galindo.

(I rarely post links here, so apologies in advance if any of the links I posted above are not allowed on the board.)

Custom Title
    Oreo, I'm remaining anxious after I read your post. I'll just cross fingers that things sorted themselves out. All I can say is that the twitter account that occasioned this thread is the most continuously foulmouthed set of tweets one can imagine. Man, it's so hard to be a parent these days.[/QUOTE]

I agree- the tweets were really really disturbing- definitely pointing to a girl who was drunk or high almost all the time, and swearing like crazy, and very angry and lost. It scared me, actually. and I have teenagers!

Custom Title
    This is adorable about Kristi teaching Katia's daughter!

Oreo, what you say worries me! I hope that if Daria did fall into a bad crowd and/or get into drinking/drugs, Katia/Ilia can help her get straight. So many people go through rebellious phases and then are fine. I'm sure having to move across the country for high school was very difficult for her, and perhaps knowing that Liza has real potential to be a successful figure skater where she did not could also be a huge burden.

CarolLiza fan, I could not agree more with you about why ANYONE would write like this on the internet. This lost girl is SOMEONE'S child- you're so right! I guess sometimes people use Twitter as a kind of cry for help- as in the case of Paris Jackson, who was tweeting about her sadness right before attempting suicide. Tweeting lewd, angry things and tweeting about illegal activities (like underage drinking or drug use) could be seen as a plea to get caught, to have consequences?

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    This is adorable about Kristi teaching Katia's daughter!
    Still adorable, but you have it backwards. Kristi had tweeted a photo of Katia teaching Kristi's daughter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Still adorable, but you have it backwards. Kristi had tweeted a photo of Katia teaching Kristi's daughter.
    Woops! thanks for setting me straight.

I wish Katia would be on Dancing with the Stars as Kristi was. or Michelle Kwan!

Michelle has been invited to do DWTS several times, but her schedule with the State Department does not permit it. She serves on just about every board and panel in the country that has to do with sports and fitness in the U.S., plus her international travel. I am always amazed when I check out the MK forum to see the variety of venues that she pops up at.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast