What is up with Katia Gordeeva's two daughters, Daria and Liza? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What is up with Katia Gordeeva's two daughters, Daria and Liza?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Why would she have fans? It seems a bit intrusive to me for skating fans to Facebook stalk the children of skating stars.

My general rule of thumb when it comes to sending Facebook invites to relatives of sports people I am a fan of is this:

I ask myself "Would I add this person if they were not related to a person I am a fan of?"

If the answer is "yes", I send an invite.
If the answer is "no", I do not.

Fortunately, with most of the sports I am a fan of, the competitors tend to be very nice, down-to-earth people. Unsurprisingly then, their families are as well. So, most times where I have sent an invite, there has not been any bother. In fact, I have had some very nice chats to the mothers of some motorbike racers I am a fan of. And some wives/girlfriends.

But, just because this has happened with the people I have added, doesn't mean that this is always what happens. I have just been fortunate.

Fans...well that's what comes of doing the Kristi Yamaguchi special where old tyme skaters have their kids perform. Fans become interested in how the kids are doing.

You know, a few weeks ago, ITV started a new game show called "Big Star's Little Star" in which celebrities and their children compete to win money for charity. Now, I have never watched the programme, for the simple reason that Stephen Mulhern is presenting it (I have found over the years that ITV picks him to present programmes that are useless. Which is a shame, because he was a good presenter when doing childrens' TV...)

Looking at the Wikipedia page for the programme, and seeing the names of the celebrities, it is pretty obvious that the children involved are all VERY young. But, had they been teenagers or older, I would have been concerned that they could be getting unwanted attention online.

So, personally, I do not think that this is a wise concept for a TV show. Children should not be in the public eye, just because of who their parents are, if they do not want to be.

I should add, I have not sent Daria an invite. I felt that it would be highly inappropriate to do so at a time when she is being discussed on here in the manner she has been. Also, she only has 1 mutual friend with me, so that gave me the impression that she is not actively trying to be part of skating circles.

Which is fair enough. Just because her parents are famous in a certain field does not mean she has to move in the same circles.

She deserves to have whatever level of privacy she wants. Which is why I am respecting that.

CaroLiza_fan

Fans...well that's what comes of doing the Kristi Yamaguchi special where old tyme skaters have their kids perform. Fans become interested in how the kids are doing.

Yes, I don't think that skate fans are stalkers if they are interested in the families of skaters they've watched for years, even for decades. Skating, including its fans, is a small community, and there's a certain personal link that goes beyond just coolly watching a skating program and counting up points on the protocols. But certainly any family member of a skater, or the skater him/herself, has the right to opt out of online exposure or any other public contact. They don't owe us fans anything.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Liza really seems to have talent or is it just my imagination. for someone so young she has great presence and musicality and the jumps are coming. I don't think her mom could do those jumps or that many of them.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Liza really seems to have talent or is it just my imagination. for someone so young she has great presence and musicality and the jumps are coming.

Definitely above average. She probably will end up being able to do triple jumps, which the majority of current juveniles will never master. Whether that turns into elite-level success is another question, with many factors involved including different kinds of talent (see this thread, inspired by the current one) as well as outside factors. Time will tell.

I don't think her mom could do those jumps or that many of them.

Katia was a pair skater, so she didn't train to include lots of different jumps in her programs. By the time she started focusing on singles after Sergei died, she was already a professional in her 20s, training for performance rather than competition.

I think she could do all the double jumps including double axel, which gave her some troubles in her pairs career, and also occasionally attempted triple salchow and/or triple toe but was never consistent with them. Liza is catching up in terms of jump content.

nam57

Rinkside
Liza is competing this weekend at SWP. She will still be at the Juvenile level just like last year.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Liza is competing this weekend at SWP. She will still be at the Juvenile level just like last year.

Does anyone know how Liza is doing this weekend?? Eagerly awaiting her results. I think she is really something special. Great artistry already.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

Yes, Doris, I agree. Daria did many of these, skating her own programs as well as skating with her Mom, so she developed her own fan base. If you look on youtube several of her solo programs are up there with admiring comments. She also did many public interviews and segments on various skating specials through about 2008. Moreover, if her Twitter/Facebook feeds are public, then she is inviting response.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Liza is doing this weekend?? Eagerly awaiting her results. I think she is really something special. Great artistry already.

Liza's in Juvenile Girls QR B. It starts at 11:15 PST (so 2:15 EST). Here's the results link to the SWP Regionals page: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_sw_pacific_regionals/results.html

And with 4 qualifying rounds, the top 4 girls in each round advance. Liza was 4th in her QR, so she qualifies to the CR.

nam57

Rinkside
She scored 42.10 with a fall on a 2A. So far I only see 2 others with a 2A. Nhi Do and Starr Andrews both scoring nearly 50!

96skiluvr

On the Ice
I love Liza, but it doesn't look good for her, in terms of getting to Sectionals. I ordered the top 4 from each qualifying group in one list, and Liza stands 13th out of 16th, with the 42.10. Ice is of course slippery and anything can happen, and Liza may have the skate of her life, but that's a big hill to climb, just to get to the top 4 to qualify to Sectionals.

HOWEVER, for those of you who think I'm harping on her, I'm rooting for her all the way! I love this family, I wish Liza all the best, and the best of luck. You can see the talent passed down to her from both her parents - it's very evident how talented she is.
Good luck Liza!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I love Liza, but it doesn't look good for her, in terms of getting to Sectionals. I ordered the top 4 from each qualifying group in one list, and Liza stands 13th out of 16th, with the 42.10. Ice is of course slippery and anything can happen, and Liza may have the skate of her life, but that's a big hill to climb, just to get to the top 4 to qualify to Sectionals.

HOWEVER, for those of you who think I'm harping on her, I'm rooting for her all the way! I love this family, I wish Liza all the best, and the best of luck. You can see the talent passed down to her from both her parents - it's very evident how talented she is.
Good luck Liza!

Thanks so much for keeping us posted! When is the next skate for her?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Good luck Liza!

In terms of the 13th of 16, there's still some things to consider. She lost 1 point for her fall, got -1.25 for the GOE on her double axel, AND missed her combo on the second double flip (causing the +SEQ ). If you give her the points back for those, her perspective looks much better.

Also, there's the fact that, especially among lower levels at regionals, there can be a lot of flipflop from the QR to the CR.

Basically, she might not need to have the skate of her life (though it could be helpful). She just needs to land all her planned jumps (no falls or pops) and she could be fine.

To Wordsworthgirl: She skates tomorrow morning. Click here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_sw_pacific_regionals/results.html and look for "Juvenile Girls - CR" if you want to see the scores tomorrow.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
In terms of the 13th of 16, there's still some things to consider. She lost 1 point for her fall, got -1.25 for the GOE on her double axel, AND missed her combo on the second double flip (causing the +SEQ ). If you give her the points back for those, her perspective looks much better.

Also, there's the fact that, especially among lower levels at regionals, there can be a lot of flipflop from the QR to the CR.

Basically, she might not need to have the skate of her life (though it could be helpful). She just needs to land all her planned jumps (no falls or pops) and she could be fine.

To Wordsworthgirl: She skates tomorrow morning. Click here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_sw_pacific_regionals/results.html and look for "Juvenile Girls - CR" if you want to see the scores tomorrow.

Chemistry 66: Thank You So Much! I will check later today! Very grateful to you for making this so clear and easy to follow.

Victura

On the Ice
Results are up: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_sw_pacific_regionals/results.html

It looks like she did a single lutz instead of a double? She placed 6th. Does she need to be top 4 in order to qualify for sectionals?

I think she could do all the double jumps including double axel, which gave her some troubles in her pairs career, and also occasionally attempted triple salchow and/or triple toe but was never consistent with them. Liza is catching up in terms of jump content.

Katia and Sergei did the triple salchow throw a lot throughout their career, and I believe they also had SBS triple toes. They did SBS double axels too, which I think she was more consistent with than triple toes. I don't know if she ever did some of the harder triples though, like loop or lutz, though she did do double lutzes a lot in her professional singles programs.

Victura

On the Ice
Argh. :( Well, at least she made it out of the qualifying round this time (even if it was mostly due to bad luck that she didn't make it out last year). It looks like this program was better too, and she can be proud that she landed a double axel with a positive GOE. Hope she makes it to sectionals and beyond next season.

Argh. :( Well, at least she made it out of the qualifying round this time (even if it was mostly due to bad luck that she didn't make it out last year). It looks like this program was better too, and she can be proud that she landed a double axel with a positive GOE. Hope she makes it to sectionals and beyond next season.

The double axel is impressive! I had a friend whose daughter skated into her teens, and I don't think she ever mastered more than a single axel. Next season is sure to bring further progress.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
The double axel is impressive! I had a friend whose daughter skated into her teens, and I don't think she ever mastered more than a single axel. Next season is sure to bring further progress.

Oh- so close!!! I will keep rooting for her and hope that she will continue to grow and develop. She's beautiful to watch, and has a top-notch coatch!