Thread: Zoueva/Shpilband split?

Custom Title

Zoueva/Shpilband split?

Can someone explain to me what happened? and who is coaching which teams now? I'm catching up after a year or two being out of the loop. Thank you in advance!

Igor was asked to leave canton. Top teams stayed with Marina

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    This thread discussed it in detail:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ight=Shpilband

I think it's fair to say that no one but the participants know exactly what happened and why.

KKonas recently shared this on the D&W thread:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post763458
    Igor says he won his court case again the Canton group.

Igor is working with Marina Klimova & Barbara Fusar-Poli at a rink in Novi, Michigan.

He currently coaches Lynn & Logan, Chock & Bates, Tobias & Stagniunas, and assists Gorshkov with technical advice for Riazanova & Tkachenko and other Russian dance teams, and also assists with Capellini & Lanotte, and a bunch of other teams. He does choreo for a lot more.

Here's the whole Shpilband school skating the Harlem Shake

These people are seen skating with Igor:
    Igor Shpilband, Adrienne Lenda, Valentina Barsukova
    Isabella Tobias & Deividas Stagniunas, Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte, Ekaterina Ryazanova & Ilya Tkachenko, Madison Chock & Evan Bates, Pernelle Carron & Lloyd Jones, Cathy Reed & Chris Reed, Siobhan Heekin-Canedy & Dmitri Dun, Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, Justyna Plutowska & Peter Gerber, Carolina Moscheni & Adam Lukacs, Yura Min, Roxette Howe, Igor Ogay etc.

Marina has D&W and V&M and the Shibutanis & Aronow & Brubaker (who are currently competing at Salt Lake).

So both schools are flourishing in their own way.

Custom Title
    Thank you so much for explaining this- I'm very grateful!

One further question: I thought Klimova and Ponomarenko were coaching together in California. Have they divorced?

No. Klimova shows up in Novi at various intervals. She & Sergei have a young son in ice dance, too, BTW.

Fusar Poli splits time with Italy, too.

Custom Title
    Doris, that's wonderful to hear! I always loved Klimova and Ponomarenko. I hope their son does well!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

These people are seen skating with Igor:
    Igor Shpilband, Adrienne Lenda, Valentina Barsukova
    Isabella Tobias & Deividas Stagniunas, Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte, Ekaterina Ryazanova & Ilya Tkachenko, Madison Chock & Evan Bates, Pernelle Carron & Lloyd Jones, Cathy Reed & Chris Reed, Siobhan Heekin-Canedy & Dmitri Dun, Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, Justyna Plutowska & Peter Gerber, Carolina Moscheni & Adam Lukacs, Yura Min, Roxette Howe, Igor Ogay etc.
    He also has Pechalat and Bourzat now

Custom Title
    Doris, thanks so much for the summary. I got myself tangled in the intricacies sometime last year, and your explanation makes things clear in my mind.

In a way, things didn't turn out badly. I loved the collaboration between Zoueva and Shpilband and was distressed by the breakup, but now there seem to be two great facilities where skaters can go. The best possible outcome.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Doris, that's wonderful to hear! I always loved Klimova and Ponomarenko. I hope their son does well!
    His name's Anthony and I've seen him compete a couple of times with his partner, Sarah Feng. They're so cute, I hope they go far.

Their performances are in the IN video archives for the last Salt Lake Challenge (2012) in Novices. They struggled at Nationals this year, so if you want to see them at their best, look at the Salt Lake performances.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    This thread discussed it in detail:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ight=Shpilband

I think it's fair to say that no one but the participants know exactly what happened and why.

KKonas recently shared this on the D&W thread:
    Igor says he won his court case again the Canton group.

Igor is working with Marina Klimova & Barbara Fusar-Poli at a rink in Novi, Michigan.

He currently coaches Lynn & Logan, Chock & Bates, Tobias & Stagniunas, and assists Gorshkov with technical advice for Riazanova & Tkachenko and other Russian dance teams, and also assists with Capellini & Lanotte, and a bunch of other teams. He does choreo for a lot more.

Igor also coaches Zlobina/Sitnikov and Polutowska/Gerber, he was with them at SLC competition. He also assits Lewis/Bye, the 2013 Novice champions. He is a very busy guy.

And I forgot the Reeds. He works with them now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    Igor also coaches Zlobina/Sitnikov and Polutowska/Gerber, he was with them at SLC competition. He also assits Lewis/Bye, the 2013 Novice champions. He is a very busy guy.
    He sure is a busy guy, I've heard that not only does he works from 6am until 4pm every day, lesson after lesson but he also gives 100% for each and every lesson.
    He is like a machine to be able to concentrate for that long.
    Then after that he still has all the phone calls and emails to deal with that go with being a top coach.
    He sure earns his money.