Sea Change: The Pacific's Perilous Turn (Seattle Times special project) | Golden Skate

Sea Change: The Pacific's Perilous Turn (Seattle Times special project)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sea Change: The Pacific's Perilous Turn (Seattle Times special project)

Many of my friends from The Seattle Times had a hand in this wonderful project:

http://apps.seattletimes.com/reports/sea-change/2013/sep/11/pacific-ocean-perilous-turn-overview/

Basically, the series explains how the increased carbon dioxide levels have caused the damage to the Pacific Ocean that affects many marine creatures' way of life and in turn impact many of the industries that are important to Washingtonians (oysters, for one) and other areas of this country.

They were able to do this ambitious project because of a $12,000 grant from the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting.

I wanted to share it with you all because I think some of you may be interested in this topic. The website is ripe with video, interactive graphics and other photos that really enhance the great reporting done by Craig Welch.

For me, projects like this is why long-form journalism still is important and how the web can be more than a bunch of click-bait opinion pieces.

Thanks, Mrs. P.

I agree that long-form journalism is an important form and shouldn't be thrown away with the bathwater.

The CO2 issue is one I think about, and it distresses me greatly that denying these changes has become a badge of political affiliation. What are people waiting for: an announcement printed across the sky?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last night (Mon Sep 16), PBS Newshour aired a story tied to this project that I believe they said was produced for them by The Seattle Times.
(I'm not sure whether the Newshour story was a stand-alone piece or the first of multiple parts.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last night (Mon Sep 16), PBS Newshour aired a story tied to this project that I believe they said was produced for them by The Seattle Times.
(I'm not sure whether the Newshour story was a stand-alone piece or the first of multiple parts.)

Yep! My friend was a video producer for the project and he was excited to see his name in the credits on News Hour. :)