Gracie Gold is without coach | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold is without coach

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... You may find Phil tedious for tweeting every little detail or providing frequent updates, but it's his way of letting readers know that he's on it and is making sure that he's staying on top of this issue and he's making a point of confirming what he DOES know is true at a given point in time. I say in this case, he's doing his job too.

He doesn't just copy and paste (other than say, Gracie Gold's most recent text). He chases leads and checks his sources and gets official statements and reports it in a story. That's not something that many others are doing. He does offer information that others don't.

I am not advocating for TSL or Hersh, but Hersh and I began covering figure skating at about the same time, so I know that he has spent those years developing and honing his connections with the top officials, coaches, skaters in the sport as the Olympic reporter for the Tribune papers. His information generally comes from very reliable sources. And because he has been at it a long time, his opinion pieces are worth reading, even if some of the rest of us don’t always agree with his position. I respect him as a journalist.

Respect to Carroll for agreeing to coach Gold on a permanent basis.

Before this thread is totally forgotten, I must express thanks to Mrs. P, jaylee, KKonas, and others :bow: for their voices of reason regarding Hersh's reporting on the Carroll/Gold story.

What I don't like about Hersh is that ....

3. His tweets in my opinion are very obnoxious. They are very familiar and make it sound like he has an intimate relationship with the skaters when I suspect that in reality he texts them begging for an update and then sometimes they give one (and become one of his chosen few). I disliked this most recent tweet because to me it is stirring the pot with more speculation. Now if Gracie had made an announcement to him 'Frank is now my coach!' and he shared that, that would be one thing. IMO this is another. Gossipy and attention mongering.

Hersh tweeted what Gold texted to him. If you consider the tweet to be "speculation," it was Gold's own speculation -- and thus newsworthy.

I think it means he texted her and she answered him, whereas the IceNetwork people and NBC Olympic (laughable btw, I doubt NBC Olympics could care less) are not texting her asking for an update. I could be wrong and admit it but it's most likely she was not looking to hand an update out to anyone, but instead that Hersh was simply the one who asked.

Two possible scenarios:

- Scenario A: Gold tweeted Hersh because he requested an update from her.
If so, he was doing his job. It's called newsgathering. Gathering news. Reporters ask questions and try to get answers.
It would be ridiculous to dismiss Hersh's hustle and say that anyone else could have asked Gold. If he was the only one who had sufficient energy and motivation to ask her, why should he not be the one to receive her answer?

- Scenario B: Gold tweeted Hersh not because of a specific request from him, but because of his demonstrated interest in her career in general and in the Carroll situation in particular.
By laying the groundwork to establish a cordial relationship with an athlete on one of his beats, Hersh also was doing his job.​