Gracie Gold is without coach | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold is without coach

mskater93

Record Breaker
Suspect she's hedging in case the tryout with Frank doesn't work out for whatever reason. Oleg sounds like her backup plan if this doesn't work...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bad mistake on Gracie's part if she tries to commute from Detroit to LA. She needs to stick with one coach and one location. Besides Frank won't put up with her wanting to stick with Oleg and Marina. I really don't know what's going on in this girls head.

Suspect she's hedging in case the tryout with Frank doesn't work out for whatever reason. Oleg sounds like her backup plan if this doesn't work...

These are immensely tough decisions for a teenager to make. It makes one realize how lucky skaters such as Sarah Hughes and Brian Boitano were, because they were settled in with a coach who was just right for their needs, and all they had to worry about was skating—which is more than enough of a task in an Olympic year.

I'm reminded of one other long-distance skater who had to make a tough choice, and that was Kristi Yamaguchi. In the days when she was training for both singles and pairs (and she and Rudy Galindo were the U.S. pairs champions and I think fifth in the world), her coach Christy Ness moved to Canada. For awhile, Kristi commuted between Edmonton, Alberta, and California. Then she knew she had to give up one or the other, and she made the choice to stop training for pairs. This was an especially wrenching choice because it left Rudy Galindo without a partner, but there was no way Kristi could have continued with both disciplines, hundreds of flight miles apart, and moved ahead in either one. Since realistically, an American lady had more chance to move up the ladder in singles than in pairs in those days, the choice was probably pretty clear.

macy

Record Breaker
i really don't want to be a debbie downer but i can already see frank isn't going to work out for her. i think someone like john nicks would be of better benefit...ashley had sort of the same problem; keeping her focus while competing, keeping her emotions in check, and not letting one mistake ruin the rest of the program, and he was able to improve that greatly. ashley is a very powerful skater and so is gracie and now ashley uses her power to her advantage. mr. nicks is a good technician and even though he is no choreographer he knows to teach his skaters to project to the audience etc. i think he would be amazing for gracie.

going back and forth to detroit is not a good idea, stay in one place or the other...DSC has good technical coaches, it wouldn't be difficult to find one and work in canton on the side.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
i really don't want to be a debbie downer but i can already see frank isn't going to work out for her. i think someone like john nicks would be of better benefit...ashley had sort of the same problem; keeping her focus while competing, keeping her emotions in check, and not letting one mistake ruin the rest of the program, and he was able to improve that greatly. ashley is a very powerful skater and so is gracie and now ashley uses her power to her advantage. mr. nicks is a good technician and even though he is no choreographer he knows to teach his skaters to project to the audience etc. i think he would be amazing for gracie.

going back and forth to detroit is not a good idea, stay in one place or the other...DSC has good technical coaches, it wouldn't be difficult to find one and work in canton on the side.

unfortunately Nicks is pretty much retired. Unless things have changed, he's not going to be jetsetting with Ashley at all this season.

louisa05

Final Flight
unfortunately Nicks is pretty much retired. Unless things have changed, he's not going to be jetsetting with Ashley at all this season.

And even if that weren't the case, I can't see that he would take on Ashley's direct competitor.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Yuka and Jason aren't going to take on Alissa's direct competitor either.

macy

Record Breaker

i know, it's unfortunate :( i hope things work out for both of them.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Isn't her former coach a technical coach?
In that case, she's in more trouble than initially thought.

Frank isn't going to improve her TES. No one else is, except Rafael.

Wow, this girl really dig herself a hole, and keeps on digging. Your TES is your claim to fame, no amount of ice dancers or famous face coach can help you with that.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She needs someone to work on her mindset. If FrankC can do that or someone else, then she's headed in the right direction

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some skaters never learn how to compete. Mirai had some epic collapses with Frank and she never sorted out her issues with handling the pressure when she was with him. As for Alissa well need i say more? If Gracie doesn't make the Olympic team this will be just another sad story of a talented skater getting burned out way to soon and we will be talking about it for years to come just like we still talk about other skaters who we thought were future champions. I just hope she gets it together.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
mskater93 seems to know the deal. Didn't you mention you skated with her or in her group or in her rink or something?
You said he was the best coach for her, when I said she should find someone like Moskvina to package her up about 2 years ago when I first saw her. At the time, I thought you were her coach. Anyway, what's the deal? Why the change in tune? Did he slap her? Did he dump Carly? Was he demanding more money, were the Golds getting involved? What's the deal?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
mskater93 seems to know the deal. Didn't you mention you skated with her or in her group or in her rink or something?
You said he was the best coach for her, when I said she should find someone like Moskvina to package her up about 2 years ago when I first saw her. At the time, I thought you were her coach. Anyway, what's the deal? Why the change in tune? Did he slap her? Did he dump Carly? Was he demanding more money, were the Golds getting involved? What's the deal?

I won't speak for mskater93, but I don't think it's a paradox to say that a coach was right for a given skater in the past but not now. Things happen. Things may have changed that may have made the relationship no longer viable.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I won't speak for mskater93, but I don't think it's a paradox to say that a coach was right for a given skater in the past but not now. Things happen. Things may have changed that may have made the relationship no longer viable.

Of course not, which I why I want to know other salacious details behind the scene. I think her former coach is the right coach for her because he made her into a potential TES machine. She just needs a strategist.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Of course not, which I why I want to know other salacious details behind the scene. I think her former coach is the right coach for her because he made her into a potential TES machine. She just needs a strategist.

To be blunt: it's not your business.

Nothing to be gained by forcing either of them to air dirty laundry.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

The thing about tabloid is this, if it interests you, it's your business. If it doesn't interest you, it's not your business.
So it might not be your business, but it's not for you to say it's not my business.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

unfortunately the last 20 years have changed how society looks at "private" matters. gossip and invasion of privacy is to be celebrated. :disapp: