Thread: Is the future now or later?

Is the future now or later?

I was visiting Kwanatics' blog, thenakedice.blogspot.ca (more, more, more) and she had reviews and vids of the latest competitions on the junior circuit. Three names stood out for me: Polina Edmunds, Karen Chen and Alexandra Proklova. They all have places they can improve upon but their qualities make for very intriguing and very different skaters and all very good. I have much excitement for them as seniors and it made me wonder about the current crop of ladies hoping to inherit the coming vacancies left by the likes of Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina. I wonder, how possible is it that these young teens supersede the current crop of young seniors and turn out to be the ones we'll be talking about come 2018?

Typically the future has always been later.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    Typically the future has always been later.
    One never can tell anymore, though. So much time travel happening these days. Where am I? When am I?

Dead pan delivery. Nice.
    Perhaps I should have asked, which generation has the best shot for producing the stars of tomorrow?

^ which is a great thread topic. (Not that we didn't appreciate the humor, too. )

Custom Title
    You missed it yesterday.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Dead pan delivery. Nice.
    Perhaps I should have asked, which generation has the best shot for producing the stars of tomorrow?
    Every generation.

But best shots don't always score.

Custom Title
    No... not again. It's basically a "ladies' retirement" thread. It's a depressing topic that I've been keep trying to avoid, and keeps popping up! I'm having an upset stomach right now! Let me look after my health!

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Thanks for visiting my blog RABID! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

IMO, the future starts now but won't really come into play until later. There is always a lot of talent in the junior ranks and I've been seeing a lot of talent this season with Karen Chen, Alexandra Proklova, Evgenia Medvedeva, Polina Edmunds, Serafima Sakhanovich, Mariah Bell, Riona Kato and a few others. It's always hard to predict if these ladies will survive the transition from junior to senior. Most of it is dictated by puberty; the number of skaters who survive the growth spurts/weight gain and manage to retain their abilities is very low. So many skaters who flourish as juniors fall apart as seniors...but there's no way to tell until it happens.

I don't expect this crop of skaters to make their mark until 2015 or 2016 but I'm encouraged by what I see: fewer jumping beans and more well-rounded skaters. The majority of the girls this season have a better grasp on interpreting music, delivering choreography and performing. They're young but they present themselves well (ie. more graceful, smoother flow to their movements, nice posture) which means they should be even better by the time they make it to the senior level. That makes me very happy for the future of skating.

Custom Title
    They used to have an expression concerning the American space program.
    "The future is not what it used to be."

Custom Title
    It's tough, because a lot of the young senior women have had strong results; Gold, Tuk, Sotnikova, Osmond and others have won medals at important events. The younger talents have to surpass the women in their own countries before having an opportunity to challenge the aforementioned skaters in the international events. Good jumps are not enough to beat the top women; the current juniors will have to deliver consistently to build up their reputation and their marks.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    They used to have an expression concerning the American space program.
    "The future is not what it used to be."
    I think that is quite appropriate here, too. Every few years there is a new crop of can't miss junior champions. When the U.S. had juniors Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu and Rachael Flatt I thought we were going to rule the world. Didn't work out that way.

I think that is what make this quad so special and hard for some of us to let go of our favorites (at least for me they delivered) I remember when commentators use to say about Mao here is the future of the sport, well she has been a constant ever since. Same with Yuna Kim she lived up to her talent and hype and then some. Carolina became a force to be reckon with. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think that is quite appropriate here, too. Every few years there is a new crop of can't miss junior champions. When the U.S. had juniors Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu and Rachael Flatt I thought we were going to rule the world. Didn't work out that way.
    I am always wary of touting new junior up and comers as the next big thing for this reason. One thing I will say is the junior "stars" of today have , for the most part, much better jump technique, and though this by no means guarantees that they will keep their jumps as they grow it does make it a hell of a lot easier. look at Karen chens jumps, they have improved so much this year , so much more height and very clean technique.
    And in relation to the original topic, it is impossible to tell who will be in contention come 2018, it could well be some of the ladies you mentioned but most likey we haven't heard of some of them. In 2010 Gracie Gold was the us novice ladies pewter medallist.....I don't think many people were predicting she would be one of the US top ladies in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You and Scott jinxed them.