What boot to get | Golden Skate

What boot to get

Tigerstein

Spectator
Hi,
I'm wondering what boot to get. I am currently using SP-Teri, not sure what model (they were my sisters old skates). I really like those skates but they are pretty expensive. I came across GAM Podium, do you think those would be ok? I'm working on Toe Loops, Salchows, and scratch spins, but I'm progressing pretty quickly. Also when i have to get new skates I'm going to be getting Select Classic blades, which is what I have right now. So do you think that would work ok for my level (single jumps)? Thanks!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate Tigerstein! I hope you get some good answers to your questions.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
The best advice I can give with regards to which boots to get is to go to the skate shop and try the different brands on. Every brand has different models depending on the level you're at so that's not not something to worry about. Find the one that feels right for your foot. If you're working on single jumps, just make sure that you don't over boot. Basically get a less stiff boot because you're unlikely to be putting enough stress with singles on the boot to break down a higher level one. You can also mix and match boots and blades. I've used Jackson's and Riedell's. Jackson's are nice with a wide foot, but they are also very stiff, so they're good if you're hard on your skates. Riedell are the opposite. Super easy to break in, but they also break down quicker.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
You need to get fitted at a proshop so that you can try on different brands. Different brands fit different kinds of feet. SP-teri, Gam, Graf, Jackson, Riedell, Risport, Edea and Harlick are all good reputable brands. Just because SP-teri worked for your sister doesn't mean that they're right for you. The proshop will also be able to recommend a model that is appropriate for your level and weight. I've never heard of Select Classic blades, but at single jump level a beginner blade is still enough. You can upgrade to an intermediate freestyle blade when and if you get to axel and doubles, but you'll probably need new boots by that time.

sarahspins

Rinkside
Select Classic was a beginner blade that was discontinued 10-15 years ago. Some rinks may have old stock, but as far as I know they're not available any more.

backspin

On the Ice
Other things to consider are height/weight, and how much you skate. An adult skater will trash a pair of soft boots faster than a child skater will, just because of the size/weight of the person.

Tigerstein

Spectator
Thanks to everyone who replied! The Podium boots do seem like they would be kinda stiff so, when the time comes I'll try on different brands of skates. Also you can get Select Classic hereThanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerstein

Spectator
I have another question, when is it time to get new skates? Obviously one time is when they get too small, but is there another reason to get new ones? Thanks!

sarahspins

Rinkside
When they break down - leather, being a natural material, has a finite functional lifespan, so when deep creases form at the ankles that extend all the way back to the heel counter, or when the lateral support of the boot is compromised and you can fold the ankle area over with your hands, it's usually time for new boots. Depending on the kind of skating you do though, some people can continue to skate on broken down boots with very little problem, but if you are jumping it's generally not recommended.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I'd just like to add to what sarahspins has already said. Depending your level, etc. You may also see the heel etc start to separate from the rest of the boot and that's def. time to replace your boots because at that point it's not safe. I just wanted to mention this because she said that some people can continue skating on broken down boots but jumping isn't recommended.
Your best bet is that if your boots are showing wear as all of the above has mentioned, just replace them. You don't want to risk injury, and so on.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, some boots break down from the inside. They start to hurt as the padding compresses and nothing you do can make them comfortable again.

treesprite

Final Flight
Also, some boots break down from the inside. They start to hurt as the padding compresses and nothing you do can make them comfortable again.
The stiffer boots do this. People wondered why I got new boots because my old ones showed no signs of breakdown on the outside. A sign that a boot is breaking down from the inside is the slipping of a skater's heels in the boots (assuming that the skates were properly fitted).

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
does anyone know exactly what kind of boot matches what kind of skater in terms of the skater's level? i'm intermediate and working on double toes/flips and im not sure what kind of skate to get after my jackson premieres break down. the problem is that they are custom-made... and i don't really know what else to do about it because jackson just moved their factory-thingy from canada to china and the canadians are so much better. my first custom pair was made in canada and my current pair are from china and ugh i can't deal with the bad workmanship. also im on coronation ace blades but there are so many versions of it i think its close in level to jackson elite blades.
at any rate can someone please help me ty

concorde

Medalist
A good pro shop work with you on getting the right boot since there are so many things to consider -- age, weight, level, width of foot, etc.

My daughter has been in Jackson Premiers for about the last 9 months and we have no complaints. I think you are mistaken about them - they maybe special order but not certainly are not custom.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
i have custom skates and that's just me. i have extremely weird feet and we have to custom order and everything needs to be made separately and everything takes 6+ weeks. i always go to the same pro shop (the guy there is the US Skate technician for the olympics) and i was just wondering since i won't be seeing him soon.

and i am not mistaken about my own skates. they are custom made for me and they are not as good as the ones made in canada. the first set of insoles the boots came with were so bent i had callouses on the arches of my feet...

vlaurend

Final Flight
does anyone know exactly what kind of boot matches what kind of skater in terms of the skater's level? i'm intermediate and working on double toes/flips and im not sure what kind of skate to get after my jackson premieres break down. the problem is that they are custom-made... and i don't really know what else to do about it because jackson just moved their factory-thingy from canada to china and the canadians are so much better. my first custom pair was made in canada and my current pair are from china and ugh i can't deal with the bad workmanship. also im on coronation ace blades but there are so many versions of it i think its close in level to jackson elite blades.
at any rate can someone please help me ty

You could ask your pro shop guy about SP Teri boots. Jacksons and SP Teris have a similar fit, so they often work well for the same feet (although you may also need custom sizing for your SP Teri's based on what you are saying). I have SP Teri KT-2 boots and really like them, but of course the stiffness you need will depend on your body weight, not just which jumps you are landing.

daenerys

Rinkside
There are many factors to consider, but, for your level, the general guideline is a boot with a stiffness rating between 45 and 70, with an intermediate/advanced blade.

Boots:
  • Jackson Competitor
  • Jackson Premier
  • GAM Podium
  • Riedell 910 Flair
  • Riedell 255 Motion
  • Risport RF3
  • Harlick Competitor

Blades:
  • Jackson Legacy
  • Jackson Matrix Legacy
  • Jackson Protege
  • Eclipse Mist
  • John Wilson Coronation Ace
  • John Wilson Coronation Ace Revolution
  • John Wilson Coronation Comet
  • John Wilson Four Aces
  • MK Professional
  • MK Vision

SOURCE: Kinzie's Closet, LLC.

Just a starting point for you. Consult your coach, get a proper fitting, and under no circumstances leave the shop with a skate you're not 100% happy with! :)