Rochette will not compete at Sochi Olympics | Golden Skate

Rochette will not compete at Sochi Olympics

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Rochette will not compete at Sochi Olympics

Starting a new thread b/c I don't think she had said so definitively up until this point. (Sorry if I missed a previous news item.)

Joannie Rochette will have different role at Sochi Olympics
Nick Zaccardi
Sep 16, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT

Excerpt (see full text for more quotes from Rochette herself):
Joannie Rochette won’t be competing, but the Canadian figure skater who displayed tremendous courage in winning bronze in 2010 will still be at the Sochi Olympics. ... She hasn’t competed at a major national or international event since and will go to Sochi with Canadian TV broadcaster CBC and sponsor Visa.
She said the decision not to try for a third Olympic berth “just came naturally.”

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/16/joannie-rochette-figure-skating-canada-sochi-cbc/

Hat tip to @NickMcCarvel (NBC web producer).

I think it's probably a wise decision, though I will miss her. Revving up for an Olympics attempt is a huge undertaking if one hasn't been competing all along. Even YuNa's start last year was considered last-minute.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Yeah, I can't say this is a surprise. I'm glad she's doing what feels right for her at this point in her life. (And more selfishly, I'm glad things are looking brighter in the ladies event in Canada even without her).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few diehards HOPED she might return for Sochi, but most fans never believed she'd compete again as an eligible.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A few diehards HOPED she might return for Sochi, but most fans never believed she'd compete again as an eligible.

My thoughts too but I do believe she was good enough for the no. 2 women spot in canada if her performances at the Japon Open, medal winners is iany indication.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised @ all by this announcement, but I hope she'll continue to skate professionally for a long time (SOI, etc.)

BlackPack

Medalist
Refreshing to see someone with a realistic assessment of their own abilities and appreciation for their past accomplishments. This sport is full of hubristic skaters who think they have a shot, especially those who have been out for years.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
for the fun of it I wonder after seeing her in the Japan Open and if judges gave her more recognition for her skating skills/pcs what would be everyone's assessment of whether Joannie forget what she wants or has decided would have a better chance of going to the olympic and medalling than say Evan or Alissa? who would have the best chance to make it to the olympics of these skaters? Who would have best chance of medalling?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
for the fun of it I wonder after seeing her in the Japan Open and if judges gave her more recognition for her skating skills/pcs what would be everyone's assessment of whether Joannie forget what she wants or has decided would have a better chance of going to the olympic and medalling than say Evan or Alissa? who would have the best chance to make it to the olympics of these skaters? Who would have best chance of medalling?

I think it's obvious that Joannie can make the Olympic team with a performance like that, however her chances of medalling in Sochi would require her to really put in the extra hours of training (e.g. getting back her lutz, increasing her levels). But it honestly looked like she never left... that 3T-1/2L-3S was the best I've ever seen from her.

It was a little bit odd though... she clearly went for an ambitious jump layout at Japan Open, and landed 6 triples, so it's not like she just showed up to skate... she showed up to win!

Of the three skaters that Skater Boy mentions, Joannie would be the best chance for reaching the Olympics and doing well, hands down. (Or hands not down, in this case!) At this moment, she may be the best North American lady of all.

But I'm glad she's making a careful decision, sorry though I will be not to see her at Sochi.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, it's not even a debate as to whether Joannie would have the best chance of medalling in Sochi compared to Alissa or Evan, let alone being able to make it to Sochi.

John King

Final Flight
She has already accomplished the unimaginable: winning a bronze medal just days after loosing her mother, in the process becoming an inspiration for millions, even those who are not skating fans. It is a wise decision.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
She has already accomplished the unimaginable: winning a bronze medal just days after loosing her mother, in the process becoming an inspiration for millions, even those who are not skating fans. It is a wise decision.

Japan Open was impressing. Canada could have clinched the Team event Gold with her IMO

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would have liked to see her skate one more time though ther wouldn't be enough time for her probabouly to get her jumps all back - but admittedly she has enough to make the Canadian team - you never like to see a former champion not be able to give her or his best simply for lack of training time, injury or money.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I can understand her decision, but it is pity.
If Yu-Na will be out of comptition (I hope, not), she even would have a chance for gold. She is more complex and consistent than either Mao or Kostner.

A team gold will surely be hers if.......