Anchorage's KTUU's "Alaska's Story" series | Golden Skate

Anchorage's KTUU's "Alaska's Story" series

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
http://www.ktuu.com/news/alaskasstory/

The local NBC Affiliate out of Anchorage has been doing this series all summer long and it just hit me that some of you might enjoy these as well. Doris you came to mind as I know you enjoyed your time up here, and Olympia you always like little gems of history - and this series is chock full of it!

Enjoy!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I will! Mr. Ski will love them too, as he has been to a lot of the more out of the way places on the coast.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I will! Mr. Ski will love them too, as he has been to a lot of the more out of the way places on the coast.

In the last year or so I've really started dreaming about visiting a lot of the older Alaskan areas that I've never been to before. It's just that travel is easiest in the summer - but it's also the most expensive. Gotta plan it just so in order to do it LOL

Toni, my wish for you is that you have the opportunity to get to know Alaska like the back of your hand.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni, my wish for you is that you have the opportunity to get to know Alaska like the back of your hand.

ha ha, well, I don't think that will ever happen, I've no desire to go out into the remote areas... road system is a good start.... then the marine highway... not sure I will ever get into a Bush plane to get out to some of the major villages... though the planes that go to Kotzebue and Nome aren't TOO small...

Will you be going to the Tongass rain forest? We wrote about that; it sounds gorgeous. Or do you have to get into one of those little tin airplanes to get there?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's accessible without flight... :)

Another fun thing about Alaska is that every October we get a Dividend just for living her. It's due to the Oil Industry up here - they pay the state, the state invests it, and a portion is given to Alaskans (you have to have lived here a full year Jan1 - Dec31 before you qualify). The amount changes from year to year. We just found out the amount for this year = $900. Small, but not as small as last year and better than nothing! I love being paid to live here. ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We flew ERA (which flies out of Kotzebue) to Kodiak. It was a nice flight :) Don't be afraid of them because of their wacky reality show.

Ski liked Sand Point a lot. When he was there, there were no roads, just wood walkways. They have roads now. Dutch Harbor is a city these days, as is Unalaska.(all the crab fishing is out there these days; it was pretty abandoned when Ski last went there) Fair sized planes fly to all those places as well as Nome, Kotzebue & Barrow.

It's accessible without flight... :)

Another fun thing about Alaska is that every October we get a Dividend just for living her. It's due to the Oil Industry up here - they pay the state, the state invests it, and a portion is given to Alaskans (you have to have lived here a full year Jan1 - Dec31 before you qualify). The amount changes from year to year. We just found out the amount for this year = $900. Small, but not as small as last year and better than nothing! I love being paid to live here. ;)

How great to get a Dividend! That seems entirely fair. You guys hold down the fort at the tippy-top corner of the country. You are the custodians of the Northern Lights. And you watch out for most of America's wolves and also its tallest mountain.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We flew ERA (which flies out of Kotzebue) to Kodiak. It was a nice flight :) Don't be afraid of them because of their wacky reality show.

Ski liked Sand Point a lot. When he was there, there were no roads, just wood walkways. They have roads now. Dutch Harbor is a city these days, as is Unalaska.(all the crab fishing is out there these days; it was pretty abandoned when Ski last went there) Fair sized planes fly to all those places as well as Nome, Kotzebue & Barrow.

I'm very familiar with Era - that's what we fly if we don't drive to Anchorage. Their planes are nice size, but I've never not gotten sick on them. They're a little too small still and bounce around.

And you watch out for most of America's wolves and also its tallest mountain.

Actually in most areas there are way too many wolves and they're taking down other animals just because they can (like humans wolves DO hunt for the heck of it. all dogs do.) so now we're watching out for them by... well... you can take a guess as to how.

And we'd like to give our Mountain it's true name ;)

so the Lower 48's "supreme leaders" are fighting us on a lot of issues at the moment. Nevermind we continue to do as we always have. ;)

You mean Denali instead of McKinley? We were told to refer to it as Denali in what we wrote.

I know that in any location, outsiders tend to romanticize things that the people living there might find ordinary or a nuisance; that's human nature. I will continue to romanticize wolves. I read Julie of the Wolves at a formative age, I guess. I do understand that they're carnivorous hunting machines, though. The ones that scare me more, even just in books and in theory, are bears.

On the other hand, you don't have snakes or alligators. Consider yourselves lucky! (I'm never visiting Florida.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You mean Denali instead of McKinley? We were told to refer to it as Denali in what we wrote.

Yup, every time we petition to have it "legally" changed back to Denali DC turns us down. Doesn't stop us from continuing to use Denali, though.

I know that in any location, outsiders tend to romanticize things that the people living there might find ordinary or a nuisance; that's human nature. I will continue to romanticize wolves. I read Julie of the Wolves at a formative age, I guess. I do understand that they're carnivorous hunting machines, though. The ones that scare me more, even just in books and in theory, are bears.

Bears and Wolves are equally dangerous to humans IMO. Wolves maybe more so because you don't think they're dangerous (they're just puppy dogs, right?). Jack London references the viciousness of the species in his short stories. Some still give me nightmares. You can scare off a bear more often than a pack of wolves (or any pack of dogs really).

On the other hand, you don't have snakes or alligators. Consider yourselves lucky! (I'm never visiting Florida.)

I'm okay with Alligators as long as I'm not in the Everglades walking by their favorite water hole... had one charge me. I know what to do if a Bear or Moose comes at me, but a giant lizard?!

And I hate snakes, too.

I always thought that if I saw a reptile, I would drop ice cubes on it. It makes the body temperature go down, and they become dormant. For a gator? An entire ice sculpture, I guess. Or I could carry a liquid nitrogen spray can. They use those on fancy cooking shows, don't they? How heavy is one of those, anyway?

but isn't it a great visual image? Begone, alligator, or I'll heave this freezing-cold swan at you and you'll go into instant torpor.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can attest that Pawling, NY, which is in Dutchess County, had lots and lots of copperhead snakes, which are both poisonous and unpredictable. From time to time, you'd hear of a timber rattlesnake, too, but very infrequently