Ladies FS JGP Baltic Cup 2013 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS JGP Baltic Cup 2013

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
One of three time violations in the event.

Three time violations and about 29 falls. More total deductions than there were skaters.

Thats crazy and sad... not a strong competition tonight... Angela got lucky to medal here..

Sara

On the Ice
I take my words back, the girl from Hong Kong got pretty high PCS but TES wasn't that strong.. Weak overall competition indeed..

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Do the judges not give level 4 step seq for juniors? wondering..

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well, without seeing videos of the performances yet, it's possible that many of these ladies are just trying hard to include skills that they haven't quite mastered yet, in a competition situation that isn't the end of the world if they don't succeed. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Well, without seeing videos of the performances yet, it's possible that many of these ladies are just trying hard to include skills that they haven't quite mastered yet, in a competition situation that isn't the end of the world if they don't succeed. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

True. But I don't think I've seen a pile of falls that big in one segment of one competition.

On another topic, wow. Angela Wang landed a 3Lz-3T-2T with no issues (according to the protocol). Too bad about the rest of her skate, but I really want to see that combo.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I guess I based my previous supposition based on a quick scan of the protocols (at least the top half of the field) and saw relatively few indications of pops, which leads me to believe nearly everybody wasn't playing safe and were going for their elements even if not fully soup yet. Which usually results in a higher-than normal splat percentage. Then again, could be your previous guess that the ice wasn't quite right....though Medvedeva would probably disagree.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Angela and her 3Lz-3T-2T, woot woot.

Please don't bomb in your next outing. Your reputation is on the line this year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yay Angela got silver!

And Chantelle pulled up to eighth!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Angela and her 3Lz-3T-2T, woot woot.

Please don't bomb in your next outing. Your reputation is on the line this year.

The combo wasn't squeaky clean but it was rotated so I'm happy.

Angela definitely got lucky here. If she had been in an event with stronger competitors she would not have made the podium with the way she skated today. Last year she had a rough first event (placed 3rd though) but then had a really strong second competition so I'm hoping she follows that trend this year. I love both of her programs and the dresses were gorgeous too!

I do think the judges lowballed her in terms of some of her PCS. Even with the splatting she still had one of the stronger programs of the entire competition, but when you look at the scores for IN and CH they are very low compared to Medvedeva, whose program was not strong in terms of CH or IN. Just because she landed all her jumps does not mean that she had good choreography or interpretation. Of course that's how the judges usually score these things: if the jumps are working then automatically everything else is 10 times better and I don't agree with that because the system is supposed to separate the technical stuff from the PCS...but whatever. I'm happy Angela held on for silver. If she does well at her next event she should make the final.

Moment

Final Flight
She did not receive higher PCS because she did not skate well. I don't think her "IN" and "CH" is really so much better than the rest, btw.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A wonderful performance by Medvedeva, well ahead of the rest of the field. Wang was a bit disappointing, really enjoyed her short but the free was not the best. I though after the opening combo she was really going after but it but all fell apart from there. I think Medvedeva rightly won on PCS. I haven't watch all the competitors but there was a lot of deductions. I think the Russians should have sent a second lady.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
A wonderful performance by Medvedeva, well ahead of the rest of the field. Wang was a bit disappointing, really enjoyed her short but the free was not the best. I though after the opening combo she was really going after but it but all fell apart from there. I think Medvedeva rightly won on PCS. I haven't watch all the competitors but there was a lot of deductions. I think the Russians should have sent a second lady.

yes considering there are plenty of good quality skaters like Gerasimova and Stavitskaia which havent had any spots yet i really dont understand why russia only sendt one girl...

oleada

Record Breaker
Yeah, I loved Angela's short, but the free was a mess. It started well and completely fell part. She didn't present it at all; understandably given all the falls. Medvedeva isn't as polished as Angela (which makes sense given the age difference), but she does connect well enough to the music and the audience. Also, her tech is incredible - two 3+3 combos with one in the second half and all level four elements. Can't remember the last time a lady, junior or senior, did that.

I agree that Russia should have sent a second lady. If they'd been smart, they would have sent Ogoreltseva here. Her scores in Mexico were higher than Wang's here, and two silver medals could have put her in a good place for the JGPF. Also, it would have meant that Wang's chances to qualify in Estonia were much lower; and Sakhanovich's much higher.

That said, both Staviskaia and Gerasimova are reportedly dealing with injuries....

bluesky85

On the Ice
Splatfest and "let's all do Yuna style" fest :p Loved Miyabi's Miserables even if it reminds me a lot of Yuna's (which was way more magnificent). Her dress btw is just like Yuna's FS dress in the Olympics :D I'm waiting what we'll see from the remaining skaters (Dance Macabre? Tango de Roxanne? Miss Saigon?) haha ;)

OMG Miyabi's Les Miserables is so much like Yuna's!! The music cut & style, some of the hand gestures, the lunge in the middle of the program, the way she moves and uses her body...

I remember Min-jeong Kwak's Les Miserables back in Vancouver was quite different from Yuna's or Miyabi's...

Moment

Final Flight
Splatfest and "let's all do Yuna style" fest :p Loved Miyabi's Miserables even if it reminds me a lot of Yuna's (which was way more magnificent). Her dress btw is just like Yuna's FS dress in the Olympics :D I'm waiting what we'll see from the remaining skaters (Dance Macabre? Tango de Roxanne? Miss Saigon?) haha ;)

Miss Saigon? Ask Karen Chen for that :laugh: