Where Are They Now? Ask and Get Answers about skaters you've lost track of! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Where Are They Now? Ask and Get Answers about skaters you've lost track of!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what is going on with Fumie Suguri? How is her progress or regress? What about that Canadian Emanual Sandu? Mira Leung sort of dropped off the map too.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
What happened to Katy Taylor? She seemed to be climbing up the ranks but suddenly disappeared. Does anyone know why? She's still only 23...it says on Wikipedia that she recently gave birth to her first child.

Okay, I officially feel old now.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Does anyone know what is going on with Fumie Suguri? How is her progress or regress? What about that Canadian Emanual Sandu? Mira Leung sort of dropped off the map too.
Fumie is still pursuing her skating. She is / was training in Canada this autumn. This is from her blog on Oct 14, 2013:

I'm sorry that I couldn't write about competition.
It was very busy last week.

First of all,thank you so much for coming and cheer me
during this competition.

I know I always have something,but this time was tough again.
I had a fever from friday and skated SP with fever.
Free was much better but lost my energy because of fever
and no power.

It is my fault that I catch cold and didn't have extra physical
strength,but I thought why it came now!?

I had many times that I skate with injury,but it was first time
in my skating life,skated with fever...

But I learned a lot how to handle with fever,what I should do
and there is still power left even though I thought there is no
power.

Now it is another difficult one coming.
Sectional!!!
I will be careful about my health and no injury!

which means she is going to compete with Miki ?!

In a way these ladies are amazing. Well there are people commenting a lot on them, like "Fumie is not realistic", but Protopopovs are still skating everyday and showing up in shows, why not, let her keep pursuing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Emanuel Sandhu skated in some Canadian summer competition, AFAIR, and might show up trying to qualify for nationals again this year :)

He skated at Canadian Nationals last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPPtXXTaEI

A while back, he competed in the Canadian version of So You Think You Can Dance. The second time, he finished in the top 6.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have no idea what Mira Leung is doing these days and a quick search turned up nothing.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The Aug.-Sept. 2013 issue of Skating has a nice article about Katy Taylor. Her daughter, Autumn, was born Aug. 20, 2012. She left skating for awhile in her teens but then went back hoping to compete in pairs. It didn't work out. She currently attends the U. of Houston full time & is in touch monthly with old friend Kimmie Meisner.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Does anybody know whether Amanda Dobbs is still competing? She competed at Skate Detroit last year, and used to compete in both pairs and singles on the senior level for the U.S.

I am not sure if Amanda is still competing, but I know she coaches a lot of the little girls at Galleria Dallas. She also performs in the Christmas shows there.

-----

Regarding Sarah Hughes, she is also mentoring Max Aaron this season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Aug.-Sept. 2013 issue of Skating has a nice article about Katy Taylor. Her daughter, Autumn, was born Aug. 20, 2012. She left skating for awhile in her teens but then went back hoping to compete in pairs. It didn't work out. She currently attends the U. of Houston full time & is in touch monthly with old friend Kimmie Meisner.
Is she married? What is she studying?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's an ice dance team that I would like to know about:

Natalia Mikhailova / Arkadi Sergeev RUS who finished 2nd to V&M's first at the 2006 World Junior Championship. D&W were 3rd, C&L were fourth.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caitlin Y has found a partner and is planning to skate for Great Britain. Partner is Hamish Gaman (30yrs) and they are listed to compete at the end of November at Ice Challenge!!!! He used to skate with Vanessa James, etc.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Caitlin Y has found a partner and is planning to skate for Great Britain. Partner is Hamish Gaman (30yrs) and they are listed to compete at the end of November at Ice Challenge!!!! He used to skate with Vanessa James, etc.

Wow, I hope this works out for Caitlin!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In response to queries much earlier in this thread:

- Elizabeth Manley is at Skate Canada International, once again as part of Skate Canada's' official media team, it seems.
She tweeted a group photo today.

- Emily Hughes now works for the IOC in Lausanne, according to a relatively recent IceNetwork article. I think IN published an article about Skate for Hope months after the event took place, and it was the one that gave the update on E. Hughes.​

How interesting about Emily! It must be such fun to work in Lausanne. Imagine the scenery!

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Natalia Mikhailova

Here's an ice dance team that I would like to know about:

Natalia Mikhailova / Arkadi Sergeev RUS who finished 2nd to V&M's first at the 2006 World Junior Championship. D&W were 3rd, C&L were fourth.

Wikipedia:
Mikhailova and Zhulin have a daughter named Ekaterina, born on 10 January 2013 in Moscow

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How interesting about Emily! It must be such fun to work in Lausanne. Imagine the scenery!

Whoops, I totally misremembered which IN article had the update on E. Hughes. It was this one:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/08/62700042 (Oct 8 article re An Evening with Champions)​

I edited my post above to add the link there as well.

The excerpt re E. Hughes and her job at the IOC:

Hughes moved to Lausanne, Switzerland, a month ago.

"I'm working in the sports department, on all the athlete-related programs," she said.
Asked (jokingly) about becoming the IOC president one day, she said, "You never know! I just found out that they are elected every 12 years. It was fun to be there while the election was going on. There's a cafeteria there, and the new president, Thomas Bach, has been eating there with us."

Hughes is in the early stages of learning French -- "I can say 'bonjour' and 'merci'" -- and she will attend the Olympics in February as part of her job.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thrilled that Caitlin has a new partner. Hope it works out well for them! :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Whoops, I totally misremembered which IN article had the update on E. Hughes. It was this one:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/08/62700042 (Oct 8 article re An Evening with Champions)​

Should have added that the same IN article gave a little update on our beloved Emily Samuelson.

Samuelson just graduated from the University of Michigan, where she is a part-time research assistant in the political science department, studying the energy sector in developing countries. She also coaches at the Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club.
Samuelson's program in the show touched on a lot of emotions.
"I miss skating so much," she said wistfully. "I would love to perform more."

And the article begins with the Protopovs:

To the delight of the crowd, Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov, the 1964 and 1968 Olympic pairs champions, returned to the show. Now 77 and 81, they can no longer do the death spiral they invented, but they still skate with classic elegance. They have only missed two shows since 1989.
"We will continue as long as possible," Oleg said.
"If everyone likes it, it's good for us," Ludmila added. "All our lives [the fans] supported us, and we cannot stop."

(For the sake of completeness:
The article also has quotes from Rachael Flatt, Nathan Chen, Isabella Cannuscio, Shawn Sawyer, and Harrison Choate.
And briefer mentions of Kimmie Meissner; the Haydenettes; Josh Farris; Cannuscio/Bramante; Cannuscio/McManus; Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt; Braden Overett; Paul Wylie; Next Ice Age; and Yasmin Siraj.)

That's quite a moving section about the Protopopovs. They have lived a life devoted to skating. I wonder whether they coach at all. (I think they live in Switzerland?) Wouldn't it be something to spend even a small portion of time on the ice with these skating pathfinders?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Their winter home is Switzerland, but their summer home & training center is Lake Placid, NY, USA.