Thread: MKforum hacked message

MKforum hacked message

Yesterday when I attempted to go to the Michelle Kwan forum through my usual link on SkateWeb, a banner popped up that the forum site had been hacked by Finks...claiming to be an Indonesian group. I received the same banner when I tried to go to the forum through Heather Winfield's website and through Golden Skate also. There are also some warnings on various google links that the site has been hacked.

Weirdly (to me anyway) I was able to enter the Michelle Kwan Forum through a google link to the activity stream. There are numerous posts and all seems ok. I did send a message to Sandra Loosemore (SkateWeb site owner) and to Grace who is the administrator for MK Forum and also to one of the moderators about the situation.

I realize this doesn't have much to do with Golden Skate, but I did want you to know that your link to the Michelle Kwan forum is currently taking fans to the banner about the site being hacked.

This link takes you directly to the forum.

http://mkforum.net/forum/forum.php

This is the one that is hacked.

http://mkforum.net/

There was also a phony Michelle Kwan Forum around for a while, but it seems to be gone now. The MK forum has a number of technical issues. The "I forgot my password" feature doesn't work and new members cannot start threads. Still a great way to keep up with Michelle's dizzying schedule these days, though.

The page that's up there now claims to be the work of "Pakistani L33t Hackers." L33t (elite) is an old programming language/technique originally invented by teenagers in the 1990s for cheating on video games and for messing with Windows 95, which was especially vulnerable. Right now there is a "war" going on between L33ts at Pakistani and Indian universities to take down official college web sites in those two countries. (This is not altogether harmless, because university records and student confidential data are exposed.)

This is most likely just some kid fooling around. Probably a Tara fan. There does not appear to be any embedded malware.

Thanks for the info Mathman. I have to admit after I found a way into MK forum to contact Grace, I was worried about picking up malware with my computer. I have a general knowledge about this kind of stuff but not enough to go back to the website. I did receive an email from Grace so she is aware of the problem and going to deal with it!

After I visited the forum I ran full virus and malware and spyware programs on my computer and all seems ok. I agree that it is still a fine place to visit to keep up with Michelle (and Clay) and all their activities. For current skating info I rely on Golden Skate and FSU.

So it's now safe to go back there?

Yes. Use the first link given in post 2 above to go directly to the forum.

I am pretty sure this is the work of a little hacker's club that tries to score points by getting into more web sites than the other guys. Note that HaXor Don gives a shout out to three of his fellow HaXors by name.

By the way, the lead thread on the MK forum at the moment is about a new book just out by ABC sports producer/director Doug Wilson (Wide World of Sports).Wilson writes, "Michelle Kwan kept the TV ratings high for 10 years!"