Figure Skating TV Schedule in the US? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating TV Schedule in the US?

gottadance

On the Ice
universal sports coverage is good!

My pleasure, gang. :)

FYI, I have since seen the same updated NBC schedule graphic -- at perhaps a more readable size -- on the Facebook page of USFS:

(I have added the Facebook link to my two posts above.)

I just checked the Universal Sports site and they have the Grand Prix series posted. It seems they are covering all the short porgrams for every Grand Prix event and ome of the long program events as well ( I assume it is those not being covered by NBC ). I switched to Direct Tv last year and I must say I am very pleased with it and it doesnt cost me any more than cable did.

waxel

Final Flight
Finally, I was able to get Universal Sports through DISH and while it isn't HD, it has good coverage of Olympic sports. Last week I watched about 10 hours of the gymnastics from the world championships. I do have to pay more however.

IN has improved vastly over the years. I recently bought a new laptop and can very easily plug it into my tv and use it as a monitor. Even before I could do this, I found IN a worthy value.

The combination of U Sports and IN (and occasionally NBC) provides more coverage than I ever thought imaginable. But I do sympathize strongly with those who aren't able to access U Sports.

One of the tellers in my bank is a big skating fan, and she and I have lamented the lack of skating coverage on regular TV lately. (Neither of us gets all the internet and satellite dish stuff.) Thanks to you, Golden, I was able to print out the schedule and take it to her. She was thrilled to see how many opportunities she'd have to see at least some skating this fall. The fact that a lot of it isn't live is small potatoes to us.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On Mon Oct 14, NBC's Today show will celebrate the Rockefeller Center skating rink's official reopening for the season.
I think that a prominent skater usually is on hand for the opening hoopla, although none is mentioned at the link above.

[BTW, seems that the rink itself will be open for business as of Sat Oct 12, which is tomorrow ... so I wonder(??) whether Weekend Today will steal a little thunder and have a bit of related programming.
http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurants/74/menus/Ice-Rink-pre-Holiday-schedule.pdf]​

In any case, I expect that skaters soon will start making Today show appearances for occasional mini-interviews and performances to promote NBC's GP coverage ... and to build interest for the Olympics.
If/when specific dates and names come to my attention, I will post them in this thread. I hope that others will do the same. :)

One of the tellers in my bank is a big skating fan, and she and I have lamented the lack of skating coverage on regular TV lately. (Neither of us gets all the internet and satellite dish stuff.) Thanks to you, Golden, I was able to print out the schedule and take it to her. She was thrilled to see how many opportunities she'd have to see at least some skating this fall. The fact that a lot of it isn't live is small potatoes to us.

Thx for the positive reinforcement, Olympia.
(Off topic: Very cool that you have such a friendly relationship with your bank teller. Kind of a rarity in this day and age, what with the mega-banks steering their customers to ATMs instead of live human beings.)

Isn't it lucky that the network that's covering the Olympics happens to be the network with the rink right outside its studio? So they have an incentive to feature skaters on their morning news show throughout the next few months.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy - I just moved and now have Direct....Just called AT&T and had the sports package added to get Universal. It's costing me $12.95/month and I'll just cancel it after Worlds. It's worth it to me. Of course there are a jillion channels with sports probably down to junior football that I will never watch!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On Mon Oct 14, NBC's Today show will celebrate the Rockefeller Center skating rink's official reopening for the season.
I think that a prominent skater usually is on hand for the opening hoopla, although none is mentioned at the link above.

Elvis Stojko will be on the Today show on Mon Oct 14 (tomorrow), according to a tweet from Disson Skating.

ETA:
The main segment with Stojko (interview + performance) aired at approx. 9:49 ET ... in case anyone in another time zone wants to catch it.
He gave a crowd-pleasing performance to "My Sharona."
ETA, sarahhughesnyc posted video of this morning's performance on Instagram:
No ice cut & cold temperature doesn't stop Elvis Stojko from being a rock star & throwing a triple toe down on @todayshow @rockcenternyc #StillGotIt
http://instagram.com/p/fc3iSKiENf/
In the interview with Willie Geist, Stojko was allowed to give multiple plugs: the Disson skating/gymnastics show; his acting role in "Chicago," which will include appearances on Broadway and elsewhere (Toronto?); his upcoming autobiography; and something else -- some kind of auto racing??
Briefer glimpses of Stojko also were seen in teases starting at 8:30. In one of the teases, Natalie Morales was in skates on the ice with Stojko.
BTW, I was surprised that I never heard any mention that Stojko is Canadian. (I have some Canadian blood, and I love Canadians :love: -- but think that those in the Today show's mostly American audience who pay little attention to skating might be puzzled along the lines of, "I've heard of Boitano and Eldredge, but this guy's name does not ring a bell.")​

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm glad to know Heather is still there :)

That's where I used to get all knowledge of TV schedules.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1) @JohnnyGWeir
Watch me tomorrow morning on @TODAYshow! I've got some big announcements to speak on!
10:34 AM - 22 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/statuses/392705517879304192

(2) Online coverage (not TV), but FYI:

@SkateCanada
We’ll be LIVE streaming the #SCI13 official practices on Thursday! http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2958/language/en-US/Default.aspx …
10:57 AM - 21 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/392348965405851648

I seem to recall from last year that I was able to see the live streaming in the U.S. -- i.e., it was not geoblocked for the U.S. last year, AFAIK.​

(3) For anyone expecting a reminder, NBC's coverage of Skate Canada International:

2013-14 NBC BROADCAST SCHEDULE
- Schedule subject to change
- All times Eastern
- Check local listings
- Sources:

2013 ISU GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING SERIES

- Skate Canada
Oct. 27, 2013: 4-6 p.m. NBC

....​

(4) I get the sense that everyone prefers to rely on Heather's schedule, so unless someone tells me I am wrong, I do not plan to post any additional updates to this thread. (No complaint from me. :) I've got no problem with making less effort. ;) :yay: )

(5)
my local listings say NBC.

Can't tell whether this post is intended as a joke??
In case it is not: The reason that NBC and other networks always include a disclaimer to "check your local listings" is not because the coverage would be changed to a different network in a particular locality.
But it is possible that a local NBC station would choose to air the network coverage at a different time -- or to preempt the network coverage for something else altogether.​

jedibiker

Spectator
I have Direct Tv too & am able to get Universal Sports. I tho't I'd read somewhere that DishTV was offering Universal Sports, as well?

I have Verizon Fios and get Universal Sports but don't see much for this event on the schedule. Plus I am heading out of town on Thursday and in hotels until Sunday so will try and catch up online if I can.:slink: