Figure Skating TV Schedule in the US? | Golden Skate

Figure Skating TV Schedule in the US?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I used to rely religiously on Heather W's schedule (posted on her Michelle Kwan fan page), but she doesn't seem to be updating. In addition to the Ice Network events, what other shows/events will be shown on US TV in 2013-2014 and when? Any and all help welcome!

noskates

Record Breaker
I believe the USFSA signed another ridiculously stupid contract with Universal. I don't even know anybody that has that channel on their TV. I believe Comcast used to carry it but I don't see it on their roster now. This is beyond irresponsible. They can never grow interest in figure skating if they don't manage to get it out there on major channels. Instead we'll get watered-down versions of competitions and only see about 5 skaters. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the coverage we do get and I think it's commensurate with the decline of figure skating interest in the US. What a shame.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
A quick check on UniversalSports tells me nothing except they don't care enough to edit their front page.

With 218.31 points, Yuna won over 2012 champ Carolina Kostner (ITA) by 20.42 and Moa Asada (JPN) came in 3rd.

LOL @ USFSA posting "Good News...!" on their Facebook page earlier this year---"at least twelve hours of skating on TV for this entire season!"

Whoopie.

brightphoton

Medalist
First choice is NBC. I can catch Skate America, US Nationals, and the World Championships on the weekend they air. They'll show a delayed, truncated short program and a live long program. I never know the schedule, but they put ads out in the week before.

Second choice was Universal Sport, but it disappeared from my cable package.

Third choice is IceNetwork, but I'm not paying money to watch an intermittent feed on my computer screen.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We lost our Universal Sports channel from our Comcast package as of 1/1/12 :cry: Now we have Direct TV, so as of last season we were able to get Universal Sports thanks to that. Nevertheless, I still miss the days of ABC/ESPN coverage (especially during the mid-late 1990's).

Years ago, I found an obscure paperback by a large (but ultimately clueless) publisher about the Amistad affair. It was a dynamic novel for kids about the captured Africans who ended up suing for their freedom in the U.S. Supreme Court. It was gripping, and I lent it to anyone I could get to read it. Copies turned up at bookstores occasionally, but there was certainly no big campaign to get this amazing story to kids or to schools. (This was the days before Amazon. You hit lucky at a bookstore, or you didn't.) Then Spielberg's movie Amistad was announced. I tried calling and writing the publisher, telling them that they had a possible profit-making machine on their hands and should publicize it more, but the company was large and fragmented into various departments, and who knows whether I got the receptionist or what. No one was any help.

Soon after, they let the book go out of print.

I though no one could be as boneheaded as this, but here's the USFSA doing it on an even larger scale with the entire sport of figure skating. And I bet you can't reach anyone in their management to tell them, either. Utter stupidity.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I have Direct Tv too & am able to get Universal Sports. I tho't I'd read somewhere that DishTV was offering Universal Sports, as well?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2013-14 NBC BROADCAST SCHEDULE
- Schedule subject to change
- All times Eastern
- Check local listings
- Does not include coverage of 2014 Olympic Winter Games
- Sources:

2013 ISU GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING SERIES

- 2013 Hilton HHonors Skate America
Oct. 20, 2013: 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)

- Skate Canada
Oct. 27, 2013: 4-6 p.m. NBC

- Cup of China
Nov. 3, 2013: 1:30-3:30 p.m. NBC

- NHK Trophy (Japan)
Nov. 10, 2013: 1:30-3:30 p.m. NBC

- Trophée Eric Bompard (France)
Nov. 17, 2013: 4:30-6 p.m. NBC

- Rostelecom Cup (Russia)
Nov. 24, 2013: 2-4 p.m. NBC

- Grand Prix Final (Fukuoka, Japan)
Dec. 8, 2013: Noon-2 p.m. NBC​

2014 PRUDENTIAL U.S. FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Jan. 11, 2014: 3-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE Pairs free skate and Free dance)
- Jan. 11, 2014: 8-11 p.m. NBC (LIVE Ladies free skate) [ETA, 8-11 pm is correct per USFS Oct 9 Facebook post and tweet (links are at the top of this post)]
- Jan. 12, 2014: 3-5 p.m. NBC (LIVE Men’s free skate) [ETA, 3-5 pm is correct per USFS schedule as of Oct 9, superseding previously published time of 4-6 p.m.]​

2014 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
- Jan. 18, 2014: 4–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2014 European Championships
- Jan. 19, 2014: 4–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2014 Four Continents Championships
- Feb. 1, 2014: 4:30–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2014 World Championships
- April 13, 2014: 3–6 p.m. ET NBC​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ESPN documentary on Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan [ETA, update: this doc did not air as scheduled]

ETA, Jan 16, 9 p.m. ET, is the new air date/time for the ESPN documentary on Kerrigan and Harding.
http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=thepriceofgold (the page includes a link to a preview video)​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:

Disson Skating Series on NBC (check local listings)
All times are ET.

- Sunday, Nov. 24, 4-6 p.m.
Musselman's Apple Sauce Family Skating Tribute

- Sunday, Dec. 1, 4-6 p.m.
Pandora Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice

- Sunday, Jan. 5, 1-3 p.m.
Progressive Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular

- Saturday, Feb. 1, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
P&G & Walmart Tribute to American Legends of the Ice​

Source: http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49482&type=media (Sep 13)
See Disson Skating website for lists of cast members.​

Krislite

Medalist
Oh come on it's like 40 bucks and better than nothing!:laugh:
I've had really good luck with it.:popcorn:

It depends a lot on your internet connection, which unfortunately in the US the quality varies greatly across regions. Some ISP's provide pretty decent speeds.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
- All times Eastern
- Check local listings
- Source: http://www.usfsa.org/content/FactSheet.pdf (p. 7)​

2013 ISU GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING SERIES

- 2013 Hilton HHonors Skate America
Oct. 20, 2013 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)

- Skate Canada
Oct. 27, 2013 4-6 p.m. NBC

- Cup of China
Nov. 3, 2013 1:30-3:30 p.m. NBC

- NHK Trophy (Japan)
Nov. 10, 2013 1:30-3:30 p.m. NBC

- Trophée Eric Bompard (France)
Nov. 17, 2013 4:30-6 p.m. NBC

- Rostelecom Cup (Russia)
Nov. 24, 2013 2-4 p.m. NBC

- Grand Prix Final (Fukuoka, Japan)
Dec. 8, 2013 Noon-2 p.m. NBC​

2014 PRUDENTIAL U.S. FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Jan. 11, 2014 3-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)
- Jan. 11, 2014 8-11 p.m. NBC (LIVE) [caveat: USFS announcement as of Jan 2013 had said 9-11 pm http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48904&type=media]
- Jan. 12, 2014 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)​

2014 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
- Jan. 18, 2014 4–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2014 European Championships
- Jan. 19, 2014 4–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2014 Four Continents Championships
- Feb. 1, 2014 4:30–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2014 World Championships
- April 13, 2014 3–6 p.m. ET NBC​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ESPN documentary on Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disson show broadcast dates are available on the Disson Skating website.

Thank you! This is a big help! :) I will be sharing this with my skating fan friends who don't visit skating forums.

LauraV

On the Ice
Thanks for this list - much appreciated!

Last year NBC didn't show anything from any GPF other than Skate America, so this is a nice bump up in coverage. Not ideal, but hey, I will take any increase in GPF coverage that NBC is willing to give me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Update: I've added the dates/times of the four Disson broadcasts to my post above.

Thanks for this list - much appreciated!

Last year NBC didn't show anything from any GPF other than Skate America, so this is a nice bump up in coverage. Not ideal, but hey, I will take any increase in GPF coverage that NBC is willing to give me.

You're very welcome. :)
[As for last year, I thought NBC aired also some taped coverage of the five GPs other than Skate America + the GP Final -- comparable to the taped coverage scheduled for this year. In any case, agree that we'll take whatever NBC offers. :agree:]

LauraV

On the Ice
Update: I've added the dates/times of the four Disson broadcasts to my post above.

You're very welcome. :)
[As for last year, I thought NBC aired also some taped coverage of the five GPs other than Skate America + the GP Final -- comparable to the taped coverage scheduled for this year. In any case, agree that we'll take whatever NBC offers. :agree:]

Did they? Rats, I missed it!

I wonder if the network offered the coverage and my local affiliate didn't pick it up? Regrettably they do sometimes substitute paid programming on Saturday afternoons. Sigh. Well, I hope my local affiliate offers everything on the NBC schedule this year. Thanks to your kindness, I can keep an eye out for it this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
- All times Eastern
- Check local listings
- Source: http://www.usfsa.org/content/FactSheet.pdf (p. 7)​

UPDATE on the NBC schedule (for GPs + GPF; U.S. Nationals; and ISU championships) that is in post #10 on page 1 of this thread:

- A slightly updated version of the schedule is available here ("prettied up" with photos of all the current U.S. champs :)):
> Clicking on the schedule will make it larger.
> The list does not include coverage of Olympic figure skating.​

ETA, the same updated schedule graphic -- at perhaps a more readable size -- is on the Facebook page of USFS:

- Time changes/verification for U.S. Nationals are the only mini-revisions in the newly tweeted schedule:
  • Jan 11, 8-11 pm LIVE (+ 3-6 pm live, same as before)
  • Jan 12, 3-5 pm LIVE
I have edited post #10 to include these mini-changes.​

LauraV

On the Ice
I am going to echo Olympia and add my thanks to golden for keeping us up to date on the TV schedule!