Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

Custom Title

Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

This is Hanyu's new free program, Romeo and Juliet (music by Nino Rota from the 1968 film). Wisely, he has retained the same short program, Parisienne Walkways, which he had so much success with last season

What Hanyu lacked last season was consistency in his long program. He would regularly skate superb short programs (setting a new world record for the SP), only for it to all to fall apart in the free skate. His problems with asthma have always been a factor in terms of his stamina problems in the free skate, although according to this excellent article, he is now able to train for 3-4 hours a day. Youth and inexperience at the senior level probably also play a part. However, its been asked before, but with the start of a new season, does Hanyu have enough time to close the gap on Chan and overtake him before the 2014 Olympics?

think he can. Patrick is presenting Yuzuru (also Fernandez) a stationary target, not having much to show for his experiment with "artistry" last season.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I don't think he can. His look is too immature.

I'm not a huge Patrick fan, and I do think he's vulnerable. Highly vulnerable.

But I don't think Hanyu's a real threat.

Of course, my opinion is hardly unbiased. His skating does not suit my eye.

I would have to say no.

Custom Title
    Thank you for the link to the article! This is an excellent article indeed with good summary of his book.

Another video of his new free program (this is not the real one of course, his debut of new FP is going to be in Finlandia Trophy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqbWuTgV-8

I think he can close the gap on Chan, but at the same time, other skaters also can if they have quads. It just depends on how Chan and they will skate on the night.

I'd like to think Hanyu has a chance to dethrone Chan as Yuzuru is currently my favorite skater. I'm not a huge Chan fan, but he has proven time and time again he can win, so I think it'll be tough for anyone else. However, Yuzu has the artistry, musicality and jumps to rival any other top contender, so yes he has the ability to make it very interesting if he skates well. The Nino Rota score plays to his strengths and I'm super excited to see him perform it at Finlandia.

~high art~
    Well Patrick isn't really known for being so consistent either.

Yes, he can. And so can Fernandez, Daisuke and Oda (who's skating very well). Maybe can include Kozuka and Abbot (depending on how they skate and their quads in the coming grand prix season). Not forgetting Plushenko and Evans too if they return to competition. All these skaters have beaten Patrick before. And I am a Patrick fan.

Not this season. I'm disappointed that he's recycling his programs, BTW. I expected something new this season.

Custom Title
    I dont think Chan is the favourite - look for Javier Fernandez, Takahashi and Hanyu to be the faves. Chan has not grown as a skater artistically or technically and going back to Four Seasons and no real coach - yikes.

Rinkside
    I think Yuzuru can get closer to Patrick, at least I think things will work better than last year because Hanyu and his coaches share more understandings to each other. But watching the current situation, if everyone skate cleanly Chan will get the better or others. Chan can earn huge points both in TES and PCS. And Hanyu is still 18 now, not at his peak in terms of age. (So I hope him to continue developing his physical strength, techniques and artistry in the long term) But Chan also lacked in consistency in last season, it’s difficult to predict what will happen in the OG.

Custom Title
    Yes, Chan has stagnated imo.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I dont think Chan is the favourite - look for Javier Fernandez, Takahashi and Hanyu to be the faves. Chan has not grown as a skater artistically or technically and going back to Four Seasons and no real coach - yikes.
    Daisuke is struggling with jumps too. He isn't in better state than PC.

Custom Title

yup

Hanyu will if he hasn't already. He just gets better and better. He skates for the skate, not just the win, and that will make him more consistent over time. His choice of music this year was a disappointment to me as well, but no matter what the music, he will always have beautiful ina bauers, the biellmann, beautiful spins, great speed, great height in his jumps, amazing triple axel with unbelieveable entry and exits, and great bladework and musicality. (Screw the choice of music, just skate kid.) The salchow quads he will get. He is just too good not to.

Chan has to reverse his trajectory. Hope he does, so that he stays great, is better and more consistent, but I don't see it happening.

Custom Title
    I certainly hope so.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast