Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

LRK

Record Breaker
I love Fernandez but wow he is having a tough season. I think even the bronze in Sochi would be an amazing feat for him at this point. Then again we saw Ten pull those performances out of nowhere at Worlds which clearly and beyond reasonable dispute SHOULD have won him the World title last season, so I guess anything is possible, especialy as Fernandez is a better skater than Ten. However I doubt Sochi will be as poorly skated as Worlds last year was.

Porbably the wrong thread for this but since you brought it up, I cannot help but ask: Does anyone have a clue what's the matter with Javi this season? It doesn't really look like nerves to me - though obviously I could be completely wrong on that head - and I haven't heard of any injury. Lack of fitness? Inattention? Sorry about being so OT, but it's a real head-scratcher to me, so couldn't resist asking!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
However the fact is since you insist on beating a dead bush your beloved Chan is the one who has an array of scandalous wins which I have been reminded today why you were on my ignore list so long and that is where you are going back now. Get a life.

PS- I am not even a Hanyu fan and have complained about his PCS in the past as many times or more than Chan's, but of course someone as clueless who does nothing but spew hate and unfounded biased claims like CanadianSkaterGuy would either be unaware of this or wouldnt care. His problem, not mine.

I'm quite crushed that I'm on your ignore list once again. Truly despondent. :sarcasm:

You bash Chan and spew crap about skaters more than anyone on here except maybe sky_fly. Made for each other, really. To say I spew hate and unbiased opinions is not only incorrect but epitomizes your shameless hypocrisy, and telling me to get a life is just juvenile (not that I expect any better of you).

For the record I have repeatedly said I disagree with Chan's 2013 win, so while I'm busy getting a life, I'd recommend you get your facts (and head) straight. :rolleye:

spikydurian

Medalist
You bash Chan and spew crap about skaters more than anyone on here except maybe sky_fly. Made for each other, really. To say I spew hate and unbiased opinions is not only incorrect but epitomizes your shameless hypocrisy, and telling me to get a life is just juvenile (not that I expect any better of you).

For the record I have repeatedly said I disagree with Chan's 2013 win, so while I'm busy getting a life, I'd recommend you get your facts (and head) straight. :rolleye:

For PTF, her conclusions are definitely biased. It's alright if someone else falls and win the skate because she thinks it is right. Isn't you PTF and some others argue that falls mar performances and should be heavily penalised? Why change your line of argument now? Because HanyuFlation has now taken over?;)

coppertop1

On the Ice
The results at the GPF don't mean anything for Olympic results. Patrick is consistent, he has been this year. He hasn't fully peaked. I think Patrick still is the favourite, I like Hanyu but he is still new. Don't get too excited by Hanyu beating Chan, it's just one competition. I don't think Chan has stagnated, he will go back and look at what went wrong. After all. Shizuka Arakawa did not even quality for the GPF and she won the OGM in Torino. I think Chan will be tough to beat. One off competition does not mean they've peaked too soon. As for the others mentioned, I don't think Fernandez is a favourite to win, he hasn't skated well this year. Maybe for bronze. I think the Japanese men are the biggest threat. The question is can Hanyu stand up under the pressure of the Olympics.

spikydurian

Medalist
^^^ I am disappointed for Fernandez. He really didn't skate well in the GP. He has a lot of talent and I hope he got back to hard work after GP. Not too late. I hope he wins the Euros. He's such a sweetie and funny.:)

Krislite said:
The world has turned upside down. How did Hanyu beat a clean Chan in the LP?
As I said, Hanyuflation has taken over. It has always been there since Hanyu and Chan and Daisuke have won skates with falls. But this time, Hanyuflation has taken over at long last so I hope those people who profess they dislike seeing skaters win with falls should now use the appropriate term, HANYUflation. ;)

coppertop1

On the Ice
^^^ I am disappointed for Fernandez. He really didn't skate well in the GP. He has a lot of talent and I hope he got back to hard work after GP. Not too late. I hope he wins the Euros. He's such a sweetie and funny.:)

As I said, Hanyuflation has taken over. It has always been there since Hanyu and Chan and Daisuke have won skates with falls. But this time, Hanyuflation has taken over at long last so I hope those people who profess they dislike seeing skaters win with falls should now use the appropriate term, HANYUflation. ;)

I like Fernandez too. He seems like a nice guy, with a good sense of humour. It's not too late, he can still turn it around. I joke about him being a Spanish upstart, but he's a great skater. I hope he does well in Sochi. Where was he in Vancouver? 12th or something, I think. He did well.

I think the more pertinent question is CAN Hanyu close the gap on Chan. He CAN, but WILL he at the Olympics? Can Hanyu handle the pressure. The judging at the Olympics won't be the same judges here. NEVER count your chickens at the Olympics. Anything can happen.

spikydurian

Medalist
I think Hanyu will win Olympic Gold and mow Daisuke in Japan Nationals. Hanyu has now the honour, and in Pangtongfan's words "fall few times and win". I am glad that my favourite skater, Chan, has lost the honour to Hanyu, a worthy opponent.;)

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
I think Hanyu will win Olympic Gold and mow Daisuke in Japan Nationals. Hanyu has now the honour, and in Pangtongfan's words "fall few times and win". I am glad that my favourite skater, Chan, has lost the honour to Hanyu, a worthy opponent.;)

So even with the 12 pt lead Hanyu had from the SP, do you think that he should have still finished behind Chan overall? He had one fall on the 4S but skated the rest of his program fairly clean. He also had an 8 pt advantage on the TES base value. Keeping the TES as is, was Hanyu's skate really that horrible that he deserved less than 78 pts for PCS - around the PCS of Han Yan, giving Chan the win?

Having a high base value helps Hanyu with closing the gap on Chan. The question now is how will the judges score his PCS outside of Japan now that they basically labelled him as a "potential" rival for Chan since Hanyu doesn't really skate all that well most of the time. Will he start getting high 80s to low 90s when he skates well or will it go back to mid 80s?

spikydurian

Medalist
SquishyDumpling (I like your name so cute), I am referring to Pangtongfan's constant calling that 'Chan wins with falls' and home inflation conspiracy theories even though detailed explanation like yours above were given to explain the win. Now I want to see how PTF will call the game since Hanyu won the LP with a fall over Chan's LP without a fall. Nothing personal against Hanyu, my dear. Just that the same rule should apply to all but not selectively. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow! The world has turned upside down. How did Hanyu beat a clean Chan in the LP?! :eek:

Couple factors: Hanyu received full base value for his elements and with strong GOE (save for the 4S fall and final spin), having high scoring jumping passes in the 2nd half, Chan giving up points with a 4T-2T instead of 4T-3T and messing up his final spin, , and the aforementioned Hanyuflation (he received excessively high PCS scores, considering the fall). In reality, if he weren't on Japanese ice, he wouldn't have won the LP. However granted his excellent SP and Chan's errors in the SP, Hanyu certainly deserved the overall win.

bekalc

Record Breaker
SquishyDumpling (I like your name so cute), I am referring to Pangtongfan's constant calling that 'Chan wins with falls' and home inflation conspiracy theories even though detailed explanation like yours above were given to explain the win. Now I want to see how PTF will call the game since Hanyu won the LP with a fall over Chan's LP without a fall. Nothing personal against Hanyu, my dear. Just that the same rule should apply to all but not selectively. ;)

If Patrick won worlds last year with just one fall, nobody would be complaining. I wouldn't have had a problem with Patrick beating Denis with one fall in the free.

The issue isn't that Chan wins with one fall, the issue is his winning with MULTIPLE falls (For the record no issue with Chan's worlds win in 2012 although I wouldn't have given him the free.

At the end of the day Hanyu didn't win the free because of PCS, he won due to TES which makes it more legit.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the judges welcome a good rivalry. There were many times when I thought Irina S had inflated marks just to keep her close to her rival Michelle. As others have said, Hanyu can be hot or cold so there hasn't been much of a rivalry at the big events but if he skates in Sochi like he did here, he will be scored close to Chan.

cheerio2

On the Ice
I just watched the men's competition for the first time in literally years, and not having any idea who these guys were, this guy Hanyu blew me away. Like jaw on the floor blown away. His jumps are seriously gravity defying (way better than Chan's in terms of height and distance). His speed is amazing, like he's flying across the ice. He has great artistry and fire. Wonderful flexibility as well. Given the same amount of technical elements successfully completed by both skaters, I don't see how Hanyu DOESN'T win the Olympics, unless there is some major injustice. This guy is the best men's skater I've seen since Yagudin. Like Yagudin, he actually makes me want to watch men's skating, lol. I'm still trying to process what I just saw. Wow.

Becki

Medalist
I just watched the men's competition for the first time in literally years, and not having any idea who these guys were, this guy Hanyu blew me away. Like jaw on the floor blown away. His jumps are seriously gravity defying (way better than Chan's in terms of height and distance). His speed is amazing, like he's flying across the ice. He has great artistry and fire. Wonderful flexibility as well. Given the same amount of technical elements successfully completed by both skaters, I don't see how Hanyu DOESN'T win the Olympics, unless there is some major injustice. This guy is the best men's skater I've seen since Yagudin. Like Yagudin, he actually makes me want to watch men's skating, lol. I'm still trying to process what I just saw. Wow.

Yes! I am still wondering how Patrick can get higher GOEs on his jumps than Yuzu..it makes no sense to me. Patrick has several shaky landings, and very little flow out of his jumps =S

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think I would get into Hanyu's skating more if they gave him more understated, masculine costumes. I don't understand what the designers are trying to convey with all the ruffles and exposed back.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Patrick Chan will continue to get higher GOEs and PCS until he retires.. He will win OGM as well. We just have to accept it.

Yes! I am still wondering how Patrick can get higher GOEs on his jumps than Yuzu..it makes no sense to me. Patrick has several shaky landings, and very little flow out of his jumps =S

sweetskates1

Medalist
I love Yuzu but his outfits and mannerisms are way to effeminate for my taste. And sometimes it really does not work.

I think I would get into Hanyu's skating more if they gave him more understated, masculine costumes. I don't understand what the designers are trying to convey with all the ruffles and exposed back.

ks777

Record Breaker

Didn't Johnny Weir design his costume for his LP this year? Yep, I hate his costume too. Just too feminine.