Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    I just watched the men's competition for the first time in literally years, and not having any idea who these guys were, this guy Hanyu blew me away. Like jaw on the floor blown away. His jumps are seriously gravity defying (way better than Chan's in terms of height and distance). His speed is amazing, like he's flying across the ice. He has great artistry and fire. Wonderful flexibility as well. Given the same amount of technical elements successfully completed by both skaters, I don't see how Hanyu DOESN'T win the Olympics, unless there is some major injustice. This guy is the best men's skater I've seen since Yagudin. Like Yagudin, he actually makes me want to watch men's skating, lol. I'm still trying to process what I just saw. Wow.
    Yes! I am still wondering how Patrick can get higher GOEs on his jumps than Yuzu..it makes no sense to me. Patrick has several shaky landings, and very little flow out of his jumps =S

Custom Title
    I think I would get into Hanyu's skating more if they gave him more understated, masculine costumes. I don't understand what the designers are trying to convey with all the ruffles and exposed back.

Custom Title
    Patrick Chan will continue to get higher GOEs and PCS until he retires.. He will win OGM as well. We just have to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Yes! I am still wondering how Patrick can get higher GOEs on his jumps than Yuzu..it makes no sense to me. Patrick has several shaky landings, and very little flow out of his jumps =S

Custom Title
    I love Yuzu but his outfits and mannerisms are way to effeminate for my taste. And sometimes it really does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think I would get into Hanyu's skating more if they gave him more understated, masculine costumes. I don't understand what the designers are trying to convey with all the ruffles and exposed back.

Didn't Johnny Weir design his costume for his LP this year? Yep, I hate his costume too. Just too feminine.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Didn't Johnny Weir design his costume for his LP this year? Yep, I hate his costume too. Just too feminine.
    Those rainbow coloured sequins though.....

Sorry :P love the kid to death, but I couldn't help but snigger. Of course I shut up when he started skating (after he recovered from the fall).

But hey, WHATEVER works. If he's ok with it, who are we really to complain?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elee63 View Post
    But hey, WHATEVER works. If he's ok with it, who are we really to complain?
    It's hard because I believe everyone should be free to express themselves how they want. However, Hanyu's costume borders on silly and it is a poor way to package his immense talent.

Custom Title
    Here we go again... Yuzuru ASKED Johnny to design his cosstume and Johnny said Yuzu had a very clear idea of the kind of costume he wanted. In other words, the costume is clearly integral to his artistic vision of the program. I guess Yuzuru is less hung up on the masculine/feminine dichotomy than some viewers are. Personally, I love the costume, and I think it works well for the program--but then I like many of Johnny's costumes as well, especially his Yunona & Avos and Ave Maria costumes, and both of his Vancouver Olympics costumes. To each their own. But as I said in another thread, for some skaters the costume is important for their vision of what they seek to portray in the program, while others couldn't care less (Sotnikova is one of the latter). For Yuzu the costume clearly matters a lot, and if it helps him get in the right frame of mind, I'm all for it!

It's hard because I believe everyone should be free to express themselves how they want. However, Hanyu's costume borders on silly and it is a poor way to package his immense talent.
    Johnny has stated that Yuzuru already had his ideas about costuming, so he wasn't unduly influenced by Johnny. If he's comfortable and he's winning, why should we object?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Really? Chan gets higher GOEs? The height and distance Hanyu gets on his jumps are probably the best I've seen in years, if not ever. And on the slo-mos, it's clear (including to the British ESP commentators) that Hanyu's jumps have zero underotation. Not even a quarter turn. And that difficult entrance into the 3A? Is there one other person in the world that can do that?! So impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1
    Patrick Chan will continue to get higher GOEs and PCS until he retires.. He will win OGM as well. We just have to accept it.
    Well, that might happen but we don't have to accept it. If it's true that Chan is such a favorite, one problem is that it plays mental games on the other skaters. The favorite can go into the Olympics relaxed, knowing that they can afford to make mistakes and still win. Other skaters have to go in with the pressure of having to be perfect. That's pretty sickening.

Custom Title
    Hanyu beat Chan in the GPF, and he can beat Chan at Sochi. Chan is vulnerable because he has only one quad, the 4t, and his 3a is not stable. In the FS, he must nail both quads and the one 3a because those are his 3 money jumps.

Hanyu has both 4S and 4T and a very stable 3a. In the FS he is capable of landing 3 quads, one in combination, and two 3as, one in combination. Chan cannot match that technical content and if Hanyu hits his jumps, Chan cannot afford even the slightest error.

Chan was blah in this performance. If he perks up a bit he will still be the favorite at the Olympics.

By the way, did you notice on the NBC telecast just now, the first shot when Chan's program started was the overhead camera. Like they were daring Patrick to say something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    I just watched the men's competition for the first time in literally years, and not having any idea who these guys were, this guy Hanyu blew me away. Like jaw on the floor blown away. His jumps are seriously gravity defying (way better than Chan's in terms of height and distance). His speed is amazing, like he's flying across the ice. He has great artistry and fire. Wonderful flexibility as well. Given the same amount of technical elements successfully completed by both skaters, I don't see how Hanyu DOESN'T win the Olympics, unless there is some major injustice. This guy is the best men's skater I've seen since Yagudin. Like Yagudin, he actually makes me want to watch men's skating, lol. I'm still trying to process what I just saw. Wow.
    You might enjoy this, then (sorry, slight OT I know)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Hanyu beat Chan in the GPF, and he can beat Chan at Sochi. Chan is vulnerable because he has only one quad, the 4t, and his 3a is not stable. In the FS, he must nail both quads and the one 3a because those are his 3 money jumps.

Hanyu has both 4S and 4T and a very stable 3a. In the FS he is capable of landing 3 quads, one in combination, and two 3as, one in combination. Chan cannot match that technical content and if Hanyu hits his jumps, Chan cannot afford even the slightest error.
    Hanyu does have 2 diff types of quads, but he's only landed the 4S once this season. He does it well in practice, but it's still a very problematic jump for him in actual competition, so I doubt we will be seeing him attempt a 3 quad FS. Hanyu started the season slow, but seems to be building momentum up to Sochi. If he keeps this up, I agree that he will most likely beat Chan's TES. I still think Chan is the favorite for the gold medal though. I wonder how much Chan will win the PCS battle by if both skate clean. Will the TES a clean Hanyu would get be able to overcome the PCS a clean Chan would get at the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Chan won the PCS by only 3 points in the GPF FS, which was not enough to offset Hanyu's tech advantage. Hanyu won the PCS and TES in the SP.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast