Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Chan won the PCS by only 3 points in the GPF FS, which was not enough to offset Hanyu's tech advantage. Hanyu won the PCS and TES in the SP.
    Chan didn't skate his best in the SP at GPF though. At TEB, Chan won the clean SP battle against Hanyu - beating him by 3.5pts in PCS. Skeptic that I am, I wonder if the PCS Hanyu got at the GPF in Japan will be similar outside of Japan with the same performances he gave.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyDumpling View Post
    Chan didn't skate his best in the SP at GPF though. At TEB, Chan won the clean SP battle against Hanyu - beating him by 3.5pts in PCS. Skeptic that I am, I wonder if the PCS Hanyu got at the GPF in Japan will be similar outside of Japan with the same performances he gave.
    I suspect the judges won't want to give Patrick too much of a lead. They won't want a 2013 debacle on their hands. I think he may need a 3.5 lead in the short.

I wonder what the base value advantage is between Hanyu and Chan but its pretty significant 7 points maybe? If Hanyu skates clean at the Olympics, landing a quad sal, and quad toe and two triple axels, along with levels throughout it will be one of the greatest technically performances ever (including his skating skills). I'm not so sure the judges are going to just hand Chan huge PCS to overcome that. They will give Patrick higher PCS-but 7 points? Not so sure about that one.

Hanyu has a habit of taking himself out of the picture in the short anyways.

On the Ice
    Yes, Hanyu has about a 7 point bv advantage over Chan, but Chan also gets more +GOEs than Hanyu. I thought Hanyu usually takes himself out in the long. He skates a great SP and then falters-bombs in the long. Either way he has had a difficult time putting to good programs together in a competition. I'm rooting for the one time that he does put two clean programs together, it will be in Sochi.

Custom Title
    I would love to see that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    You might enjoy this, then (sorry, slight OT I know)
    Wow, thanks for that! And he does that at an exhibition?!

Custom Title
    Yes, Hanyu has about a 7 point bv advantage over Chan, but Chan also gets more +GOEs than Hanyu. I thought Hanyu usually takes himself out in the long. He skates a great SP and then falters-bombs in the long. Either way he has had a difficult time putting to good programs together in a competition. I'm rooting for the one time that he does put two clean programs together, it will be in Sochi.
    Does Patrick really have a +GOE advantage though? Yuzuru's jumps are magnificent, if he hits the program out of the park (big if, but speaking theoretically) I'd think the GOEs would be enormous, or at least on par with Patrick's. At the GPF, if you factor out the GOE loss for the fall on the 4S, the GOEs between the two are pretty much equivalent.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    SP BV:
    Chan: 43.10; Hanyu: 43.76 (44.36 if he gets Lv4 on spins and steps)

LP BV:
    Chan: 83.67 (assuming all his spins are lv 4); Hanyu: 90.02 (adding a Lv4 CCoSp instead of the Lv 1 from GPF)

So Hanyu has a 6.35 points advantage in the LP, around 7 points overall.

About the +GOE, I don't think Chan gets better GOE. It seems they're pretty similar on GOE (and sometimes Chan is getting similar or better GOE than Hanyu on the 3A, which makes me want to pull my hair out, but oh well...). Assuming Hanyu would be completly clean though, I think he'd get slightly higher GOE.

So it's really a thing of Hanyus BV vs. Chans PCS.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2
    Wow, thanks for that! And he does that at an exhibition?!
    Kid has been doing 4T-3A since 2011. He's now up to 4S-3A, or even an (unrecorded!! ) 4T-3A-3A-3A

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    SP BV:
    Chan: 43.10; Hanyu: 43.76 (44.36 if he gets Lv4 on spins and steps)

LP BV:
    Chan: 83.67 (assuming all his spins are lv 4); Hanyu: 90.02 (adding a Lv4 CCoSp instead of the Lv 1 from GPF)

So Hanyu has a 6.35 points advantage in the LP, around 7 points overall.

About the +GOE, I don't think Chan gets better GOE. It seems they're pretty similar on GOE (and sometimes Chan is getting similar or better GOE than Hanyu on the 3A, which makes me want to pull my hair out, but oh well...). Assuming Hanyu would be completly clean though, I think he'd get slightly higher GOE.

So it's really a thing of Hanyus BV vs. Chans PCS.

Kid has been doing 4T-3A since 2011. He's now up to 4S-3A, or even an (unrecorded!! ) 4T-3A-3A-3A
    Hanyu program doesn't have level four footwork, his base value would go up if he gets level four intead of level three too.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc
    Hanyu program doesn't have level four footwork, his base value would go up if he gets level four intead of level three too.
    Yes, I just didn't think it was that likely to happen, so I just left it at lv 3... but with level 4 steps in both programs his overall BV would be about 8.11 points higher than Chans.

Custom Title
    Hanyu definitely has the tes advantage; Chan shoud have been doing something over the last few years and he doesn't heven max his spins. Theproblem mayb pcs where Chanused to have a huge advantage and now not. I think still if y ou use the Caorlina Kostner who has skater horribly but received huge pcs Chan deserves generallyt he same if not more over his rivals. those edges and transitions should score bigger and also they do affect goe's. life isn't fair but I hope Dai or Chan win gold; hanyu can have his moment in 2018. Chan and Dai have been skating well for a while with wonderfulprograms. Hanyu maybe peaking just at the right time though and that is lifel. I do think Chan hs the best programs; I know some donit like his more reserved artistry but it does work well Hanyu is still a bit youngish; Javier has great charisma and Dai is a diva but the question is now can Chan catch Hanyu?

Custom Title
    I just thought of something why is it Brian Orser is helping so many int'l skaters but not his own country? Hanyu's gap seems to have closed under Orser's teaching.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I just thought of something why is it Brian Orser is helping so many int'l skaters but not his own country? Hanyu's gap seems to have closed under Orser's teaching.
    Cynthia Phaneuf was training with Orser before she retired.
    Has Orser turned away any Canadians? (I can't imagine why he would.)
    Or is the question why few Canadians have come knocking at his door?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Yes, I just didn't think it was that likely to happen, so I just left it at lv 3... but with level 4 steps in both programs his overall BV would be about 8.11 points higher than Chans.
    Hanyu usually gets level 4 for his SP footwork. Reportedly they had tuned up the footwork in his FP. He didn't get level 4 at GPF but it could be a matter of time.

Custom Title
    The fact that Hanyu beat Chan at the GPF may help Hanyu in the PCS/GOE department. Like it or not, reputation does play a role in how the judges perceive skaters.

Another aspect favorable to Hanyu: Sochi is a resort area, a cleaner environment for an athlete with asthma.

Custom Title
    Only in Japan would Hanyu get 92.5 points of PCS with a fall. He would probably get something more like 88 points (considering he got 81 PCS at TEB and the primary technical difference between TEB and GPF was a popped quad). Even 7 extra points of PCS for a clean quad instead of a popped quad is rather generous.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast