Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
It's a bit up for grabs if Hanyu is a better jumper. Certainly his axels are much better but Chan's quad and ability to do quad triples gives him an edge.

I agree it's hard to say who the better jumper of these two is, but it's definitly not the quad that gives Chan an edge. Hanyus 4T is of similar quality and his consistency is actually a little better (at tumblr, a user named magicaleggplant was so nice to post some quad success statistics: out of 14 attempts, Hanyu landed 11 4T's with +GOE, which is a success rate of 79%. Chan landed 6 out of 10 attempts of solo 4T and 6 out of 10 4T combinations with +GOE - so he has a success rate of 60%). Besides that, I'm pretty sure Hanyu can do 4T-3T too (he's practicing it, and if he's capable of something like a 4T-3A-3A-3A...), he just doesn't need to because he does the 4S too. As of now, he still has huge troubles with that jump, but once he gets that more consistent, he'll have an additional quad jump over Chan too...

emdee

Final Flight
I agree it's hard to say who the better jumper of these two is, but it's definitly not the quad that gives Chan an edge. Hanyus 4T is of similar quality and his consistency is actually a little better (at tumblr, a user named magicaleggplant was so nice to post some quad success statistics: out of 14 attempts, Hanyu landed 11 4T's with +GOE, which is a success rate of 79%. Chan landed 6 out of 10 attempts of solo 4T and 6 out of 10 4T combinations with +GOE - so he has a success rate of 60%). Besides that, I'm pretty sure Hanyu can do 4T-3T too (he's practicing it, and if he's capable of something like a 4T-3A-3A-3A...), he just doesn't need to because he does the 4S too. As of now, he still has huge troubles with that jump, but once he gets that more consistent, he'll have an additional quad jump over Chan too...

Chan also has an inconsistent 4S so doesnt use it in competition. Likely neither Hanyu nor Chan has it competition ready but likely also that Hanyu feels impelled to use it to up the ante.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
emdee said:
Chan also has an inconsistent 4S so doesnt use it in competition. Likely neither Hanyu nor Chan has it competition ready but likely also that Hanyu feels impelled to use it to up the ante.

Well, if we start with that, Fernandez seems to be training a 4Lo ;) I get what you mean, but I think Hanyu's is actually quite good in practices, if he just wanted to up the ante, he could go for 2 4T's too. It's sad though that Chan never decided to go for the 4S in competitions, he'd definitly have the stamina to pull it off.

emdee

Final Flight
Well, if we start with that, Fernandez seems to be training a 4Lo ;) I get what you mean, but I think Hanyu's is actually quite good in practices, if he just wanted to up the ante, he could go for 2 4T's too. It's sad though that Chan never decided to go for the 4S in competitions, he'd definitly have the stamina to pull it off.

Yes it is sad.
I think because of Chan's great admiration for Lambiel he has been more interested in improving his artistic side in the last couple of years. As long as he does what is important to him and fulfils himself as a skater its all good for me.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
How do you figure? He has accomplished that very thing far more than anyone else...

Yes, but that was then and this is now. Four years ago in Vancouver I agree that Plush would have won if others went down...but that didn't happen. After multiple injuries and surgeries, a body that is much older than his competitors, and the fact that many in the field are able to perform quads as well or better than he ever could, leads me to believe that his chances of being perfect while all the other top guys mess up in one way or another just isn't realistic. Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Takahashi and a few others have reached his level technically and artisically. Plushenko is a long shot to win gold even in Russia.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hanyu still needs to figure out how to build his stamina up because the poor kid looks like he's going to collapse everytime he skates a LP.

That issue seems to have been addressed this summer. I expect him to come out much stronger and fitter than last season.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Yes, but that was then and this is now. Four years ago in Vancouver I agree that Plush would have won if others went down...but that didn't happen. After multiple injuries and surgeries, a body that is much older than his competitors, and the fact that many in the field are able to perform quads as well or better than he ever could, leads me to believe that his chances of being perfect while all the other top guys mess up in one way or another just isn't realistic. Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Takahashi and a few others have reached his level technically and artisically. Plushenko is a long shot to win gold even in Russia.

Plushenko severely crippled his chances at the gold with a program that was unoptimized for COP. His new programs have been much more COP friendly. Assuming he is in good health, he would go in with solid tech and the most stable nerves on Olympic ice out of all the skaters.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It is one thing to say that Plushenko will not win if he does not perform well. He won't. However, although others may have matched him technically and artistically, they will not get better marks unless they actually skate better than Plushenko. Home ice advantage is a huge benefit. Sasha Cohen, a virtual nobody in 2002, almost beat Slutskaya's SP in SLC. Slutskaya was absolutely clean in that SP, skated fast and had a very difficult footwork sequence. Sasha was slower, had smaller jumps, and wasn't that great of a skater at the time; she should not have won 3 ordinals over Irina in a TECHNICAL program. Now in Sochi, the home favorite is a three time reigning medalist. He will not be held down if he is clean.

^ It's hard to say to what extent the home ice advantage was at play in the Salt Lake City laadies' event. Irina's misfortune was that there were two judges, Germany and Italy, who low-balled her throughout, baancing the straight first-place ordinals by Russia and Belarus.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It is one thing to say that Plushenko will not win if he does not perform well. He won't. However, although others may have matched him technically and artistically, they will not get better marks unless they actually skate better than Plushenko. Home ice advantage is a huge benefit. Sasha Cohen, a virtual nobody in 2002, almost beat Slutskaya's SP in SLC. Slutskaya was absolutely clean in that SP, skated fast and had a very difficult footwork sequence. Sasha was slower, had smaller jumps, and wasn't that great of a skater at the time; she should not have won 3 ordinals over Irina in a TECHNICAL program. Now in Sochi, the home favorite is a three time reigning medalist. He will not be held down if he is clean.

Oh, if he's clean he will certainly not be held down. I just think that if others go clean (and we can assume many skaters on a "good day" can do so), they will place higher than Plushenko. Certainly a clean Fernandez, Takahashi, and Chan will beat a clean Plushenko. And to those who say Chan or Takahashi haven't had a clean program in years, Plushenko hasn't done 2 quads in a clean program in way longer.

Moment

Final Flight
Evgeni's scoring potential has diminished a lot and skating on home ice can only help so much.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
2 years ago I predicted Hanyu to be the next OGM based on the strength of his Romeo and Juliet program. The fresh appeal and natural tendency to not holding anything back, full on attack approach, the 3A out of no where :eek:. The 3A3A exhibitions :love: With his asthma problems, his manga boy looks, his sendai stories with child hood coach, his Pooh mascot, his career read like a total page turner full of uncertainty to see whether his incredible talent can fulfill every skater's dream.

However since last year I have my doubts... not because he is not capable, but I think he compromised his artistry too much with 2 unoriginal program choices at an Olympic season and showed little improvement (or even attempt to improve, he even seems to have gone backwards), more 'packaged' and playing safe rather than 'own' his program like when he first started. Hanyu appear to think too much and try much too hard. The sport has a history to not favour those who tries too desperately hard, and out of all the skaters, I suspect Hanyu may want it the most, and if he does, it is a lot of pressure to handle for someone this young (mind you he is made of tough stuff). However, if I have to pick anyone on the podium, I am desperately hoping it'd be Daisuke.

I actually think Patrick is not the biggest threat due his own problems these past 2 seasons, Hanyu should watch out for Javier (who seems to enjoy an upward momentum) and it is Plushenko in Russia!! PCS Heaven for Plushy, Russia crowds will make sure he get the biggest standing ovation of the night. (For Chan - if there's a figure skating hell on earth, which country do you think it might be? ;)) I'd love Hanyu to be on the same podium as Plushy... what a dream come true that would be for Hanyu.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States

Oh my gosh wasn't that the old 6.0 system? What does that have to do with judging in 2014? :confused: The skating will determine the results not the venue. This is sounding like a Russia vs. the rest of the world arguement. :rolleye:

LRK

Record Breaker
2 years ago I predicted Hanyu to be the next OGM based on the strength of his Romeo and Juliet program. The fresh appeal and natural tendency to not holding anything back, full on attack approach, the 3A out of no where :eek:. The 3A3A exhibitions :love: With his asthma problems, his manga boy looks, his sendai stories with child hood coach, his Pooh mascot, his career read like a total page turner full of uncertainty to see whether his incredible talent can fulfill every skater's dream.

However since last year I have my doubts... not because he is not capable, but I think he compromised his artistry too much with 2 unoriginal program choices at an Olympic season and showed little improvement (or even attempt to improve, he even seems to have gone backwards), more 'packaged' and playing safe rather than 'own' his program like when he first started. Hanyu appear to think too much and try much too hard. The sport has a history to not favour those who tries too desperately hard, and out of all the skaters, I suspect Hanyu may want it the most, and if he does, it is a lot of pressure to handle for someone this young (mind you he is made of tough stuff). However, if I have to pick anyone on the podium, I am desperately hoping it'd be Daisuke.

I actually think Patrick is not the biggest threat due his own problems these past 2 seasons, Hanyu should watch out for Javier (who seems to enjoy an upward momentum) and it is Plushenko in Russia!! PCS Heaven for Plushy, Russia crowds will make sure he get the biggest standing ovation of the night. (For Chan - if there's a figure skating hell on earth, which country do you think it might be? ;)) I'd love Hanyu to be on the same podium as Plushy... what a dream come true that would be for Hanyu.

I think it would be :) :

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=325&start=90#p71629

(See photos. I did try to link directly to a photo - but, alas, I was not able.)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

I don´t think he can, although Hanyu may have come closer as Chan has not bothered to get himself a proper jumping coach. Somehow I have a feeling, that in this Olympic season Chan´s scores will show his mistakes more clearly.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If Hanyu will be consistent he is already being rewarded against Daisuke
so he definitely can challenge Chan even with his "buttloads side" of PCS

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
After Nebelhorn, I'm wondering whether Patrick Chan can close his gap with Nobunari Oda ;) :laugh:

^ ? I suppose that's true, but I don't see any hateful posts on this thread, just speculation as to whether Hanyu and other skaters can catch Patrick this season.