Gracie Gold is no longer coachless (now coached by Frank Carroll) | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold is no longer coachless (now coached by Frank Carroll)

tulosai

Record Breaker
:) I am happy that this is settled and that Carroll sounds quite a bit more enthusiastic than he did now. I hope it is also a good match for Gracie's sister and that Gracie will figure out the logistics of everything (though judging from her twitter, she may just be making California her base and Carroll her 'one voice' as he suggested is best.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good news for Gracie. I am glad Frank will be coaching her. Now that Gracie's coaching situation is
finalized she can concentrate on the upcoming season.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Glad this is sorted out, but still no mention of whether Gracie would be based in LA or Canton... I imagine Frank would make her stay in LA. His previous comments about what he thought of her and her situation before the tryout seemed very honest and a little hesitant. I'm not sure whether this quote about him being very excited to coach her and them being a "good student-coach match" is genuine or just a standard PR quote. Either way, I hope Frank sticks by what he said before and that she doesn't resist any changes he might want to make. Best of luck to Gracie on the GP.

Great news!

I imagine Carroll would try everything to persuade her to relocate. Look at the trouble Mirai had with just a commute of a few hours. Gracie will be on a plane frequently and will have jet lag to boot. I hope she can work out the logistics of this coaching change with the least turmoil possible.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't care for her LP done by Zoueva-even the costume is younger=preferred her costumes last year so I hope Lori does work with her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Glad this is sorted out, but still no mention of whether Gracie would be based in LA or Canton... I imagine Frank would make her stay in LA. His previous comments about what he thought of her and her situation before the tryout seemed very honest and a little hesitant. I'm not sure whether this quote about him being very excited to coach her and them being a "good student-coach match" is genuine or just a standard PR quote. Either way, I hope Frank sticks by what he said before and that she doesn't resist any changes he might want to make. Best of luck to Gracie on the GP.

Philip Hersh has tweeted the following:
Gracie Gold announced she will work with Frank Carroll, and I am told that means full time in LA

I hope we'll have a full-fledged story from Phil that gives more details.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
You guys don't need Phil. Gracie will be based permanently in LA.
And that doesn't mean necessarily that she will or does need to work with Lori. There are other choreographers that have worked with Frank's students past and present that will/would do wonders for Gracie.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would have thought it was a rather logical step for her to move there and make it a permanent base. So I'm not surprised she's moving there. It makes sense.

I guess this means Evan is officially done.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I would have thought it was a rather logical step for her to move there and make it a permanent base. So I'm not surprised she's moving there. It makes sense.

Yes, I thought the same thing. So this good news comes with some sad news too.

spikydurian

Medalist

:confused:You mean Caroll cannot coach both Evan and Gracie at the same time?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad that Grace is going to be coached by Frank. Now they can both hopefully focus seriously on her Olympic season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:confused:You mean Caroll cannot coach both Evan and Gracie at the same time?

You forget that he has Ten as well. Three Grand Prix skaters is a lot. And he already rejected another skater in the past because with Lysacek and Ten he didn't want another skater.

lcd

Match Penalty
Isn't it unstated but increasingly being understood that Frank Carroll is likely to only have 2 major skaters to coach through the Grand Prix series? Seems some of the debates are becoming moot unfortunately

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess we will see whether Mr. Carroll truly is gifted. Of course the student has to have the talent and work ethics. It appears Mr. Carroll has a strong personlity and may not always be the best choice for everyone. Didn't Carolina use to work with him too. I am sure Carroll could handle both Evan and Gracie. Though I do hope we see Gracie continue to improve under Frank. Fortunately in many ways skating isn't like oh I am wearing a Vera Wang dress it means I am dressed well or a beautiful skater. You need to see the effort and talent on ice. Having the name behind you isn't worth a lot if you can't use it - that being said wearing a VEra Wang doesn't hurt. Remember a few years ago Sandra Bezic was the panacea think Brian Boitano without Sandra he would not have an olympic title and those dramatic stares to the heavens above.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think quick improvements should be able to be made to her programs and possibly even her presentation of those programs. Gracie's biggest issue is the one that will probably take the most time: her nervousness when she competes...that could take some time to work through.

Frank is not a miracle worker. In a long term setting, the situation is ideal. Over time Gracie should be able to loosen up her stiff skating, learn to flow better through her movements and really connect to what she's doing on the ice as well as develop a better mental state when competing so that she's not so nervous. But those things take time...she doesn't have a lot of time before her first event so it's very possible whatever changes she makes will be minor between now and her GP debut.

Additionally, I thought Frank was getting ready to retire. I remember reading he was only in it this year b/c of Denis as well as Evan coming back. So now that he has Gracie is he going to stay in another quad or is this a one year deal?