Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold is no longer coachless (now coached by Frank Carroll)

I'm glad that Grace is going to be coached by Frank. Now they can both hopefully focus seriously on her Olympic season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    You mean Caroll cannot coach both Evan and Gracie at the same time?
    You forget that he has Ten as well. Three Grand Prix skaters is a lot. And he already rejected another skater in the past because with Lysacek and Ten he didn't want another skater.

Custom Title
    Isn't it unstated but increasingly being understood that Frank Carroll is likely to only have 2 major skaters to coach through the Grand Prix series? Seems some of the debates are becoming moot unfortunately

Custom Title
    I guess we will see whether Mr. Carroll truly is gifted. Of course the student has to have the talent and work ethics. It appears Mr. Carroll has a strong personlity and may not always be the best choice for everyone. Didn't Carolina use to work with him too. I am sure Carroll could handle both Evan and Gracie. Though I do hope we see Gracie continue to improve under Frank. Fortunately in many ways skating isn't like oh I am wearing a Vera Wang dress it means I am dressed well or a beautiful skater. You need to see the effort and talent on ice. Having the name behind you isn't worth a lot if you can't use it - that being said wearing a VEra Wang doesn't hurt. Remember a few years ago Sandra Bezic was the panacea think Brian Boitano without Sandra he would not have an olympic title and those dramatic stares to the heavens above.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I think quick improvements should be able to be made to her programs and possibly even her presentation of those programs. Gracie's biggest issue is the one that will probably take the most time: her nervousness when she competes...that could take some time to work through.

Frank is not a miracle worker. In a long term setting, the situation is ideal. Over time Gracie should be able to loosen up her stiff skating, learn to flow better through her movements and really connect to what she's doing on the ice as well as develop a better mental state when competing so that she's not so nervous. But those things take time...she doesn't have a lot of time before her first event so it's very possible whatever changes she makes will be minor between now and her GP debut.

Additionally, I thought Frank was getting ready to retire. I remember reading he was only in it this year b/c of Denis as well as Evan coming back. So now that he has Gracie is he going to stay in another quad or is this a one year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Isn't it unstated but increasingly being understood that Frank Carroll is likely to only have 2 major skaters to coach through the Grand Prix series? Seems some of the debates are becoming moot unfortunately
    We don't know how much Evan is utilizing Frank, though, he could be willing to do as he did when he first started there in LA and travel and work with one of Carroll's minions and then bounce ideas off of him.

But I agree that it doesn't look good for Lysacek's return. Though who knows. Does he NEED to do the GP? He can get the points he needs to qualify at 4CC, right?

Custom Title
    Evan would have to do a B International by November to qualify for Sochi. 4CC is much, much too late.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Evan would have to do a B International by November to qualify for Sochi. 4CC is much, much too late.
    ah, okay. I am not up to date on the rules.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    You forget that he has Ten as well. Three Grand Prix skaters is a lot. And he already rejected another skater in the past because with Lysacek and Ten he didn't want another skater.
    Yes, but was´t that Rippon - a skater with many coaching changes...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post

We don't know how much Evan is utilizing Frank, though, he could be willing to do as he did when he first started there in LA and travel and work with one of Carroll's minions and then bounce ideas off of him.

But I agree that it doesn't look good for Lysacek's return. Though who knows. Does he NEED to do the GP? He can get the points he needs to qualify at 4CC, right?
    Not only is 4CC too late, the skater has to have earned the minimum TES to qualify for 4CC.

Custom Title
    An awful lot is being expected of Frank. I don't see this as being a long term partnership or especially successful, considering the nature of Gold's problem, "controlling her nerves". I've never heard that was Frank's area of expertise.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Does he NEED to do the GP? He can get the points he needs to qualify at 4CC, right?
    For one, he would still need to get the minimum score for 4CC somewhere. For two, 4CC is AFTER the deadline to get the qualifying score for Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Yes, but was´t that Rippon - a skater with many coaching changes...
    I thought it was Wagner...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    That's exactly right. I can't see him coaching 3 major players entering Olympic season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    An awful lot is being expected of Frank. I don't see this as being a long term partnership or especially successful, considering the nature of Gold's problem, "controlling her nerves". I've never heard that was Frank's area of expertise.
    I actually don't think an "awful lot is being expected of Frank"

The "11th hour" nature of this coaching change is clear as day. His "political cred" will already be working in Gracie's favor, so in my opinion, job (at a minimum) 25% accomplished.

Custom Title
    Just to play devil's advocate: Mishin has three GP/Olympic skaters this season...Plushenko, Gachinski and Tuktamysheva.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast